Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season | Page 957 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yup! I think since it is a yuzuru blog I think it is okay hahaha. I even confuse his salchow and toeloop too at times
I think Yuzuru's jumps are quite easy to recognize. I mean... some skaters made me wonder like "is that a Loop or is that a Flip?" :roll9:

Talking about Salchow, Todd Eldredge and Joannie Rochette'S 3s are my standards. :luv17:

gladiolusc

Medalist
Loop, salchow and axel is completely different imo. So I think most won't have a hard time distinguishing it. I learned distinguishing F, Lz and T from a friend. She said just pay attention to the toepick foot and the landing foot. If the landing foot is the same as the toepick foot, it is either a Lz or a Flip, if it is different, it is toeloop. :biggrin:

Hey, that was exactly what the gif set had to help me realize :p the difference between loop v salchow :laugh:
The boss for me is still lutz vs flip :palmf:

gladiolusc

Medalist
I think Yuzuru's jumps are quite easy to recognize. I mean... some skaters made me wonder like "is that a Loop or is that a Flip?" :roll9:

Talking about Salchow, Todd Eldredge and Joannie Rochette'S 3s are my standards. :luv17:

How?

mcq

Record Breaker

This is me with Anna pogorilaya. She crosses her legs at lutz so I initially thought she would do a 3Lo but then she pick her foot lol. :p I'm not going to lie, if I see it through fancam from afar, I mistook Yuzu's T and S at times because he barely pick his toepick foot. :dbana: I'm sure there are moments when I watch video snippet of his training and I think to myself, "is that a quad or a triple, that can't be a quad, it is impossible" (like that time he did 2Slo4S at NHK), but it turned out to be a quad. :laugh:

Hey, that was exactly what the gif set had to help me realize :p the difference between loop v salchow :laugh:
The boss for me is still lutz vs flip :palmf:
The feel of these 2 jumps are actually different. Counting out the long setup for lutz; since it takes off from outside edge, most skaters (not all) that I have seen would sway/tilt their body a bit when taking off. :biggrin:

Last edited:

d6886

On the Ice
Yup! I think since it is a yuzuru blog I think it is okay hahaha. I even confuse his salchow and toeloop too at times. F, T, and Lz is difficult at first when I first learn about FS, but my friend who is a long FS fan taught me how to. If the toepick foot is the same as the landing foot = Lutz or Flip, if the toepick foot is different than the landing foot = toeloop. Lutz is outside, Flip is inside. Never got confused again ever since :biggrin:

Loop, salchow and axel is completely different imo. So I think most won't have a hard time distinguishing it. I learned distinguishing F, Lz and T from a friend. She said just pay attention to the toepick foot and the landing foot. If the landing foot is the same as the toepick foot, it is either a Lz or a Flip, if it is different, it is toeloop. :biggrin:

I recognize toeloop from the turn skater is doing right before he jump. I hope you will understand what I'm talking about, I can't find a better way to describe it :confused:

Just look at Shoma's 4F in slow motion, he's prerotating so much, that he crosses his legs on the take off...

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
When recognizing Yuzuru's jumps I have only problems with 4S and 4T (we discussed it before), also because he goes into these jumps very fast, he 'attacks' the jumps. But for example, his lutzes and flips are easy to distunguish because his Lutz is from a very nice, clear outside edge, while he jumps the Flip out of absolutely nowhere, very suddenly, out of steps (even though his Flip was called in the past, but he jumps it now from a slight inside edge).

After Axel and Lutz, to me, the easiest jump to recognize was Salchow, I even gave it a name, I called it the knock-kneed jump :laugh: It's not because of him, just in general it looks like skaters are knock-kneed at the take off of a Salchow.

4Lo is easy because of the X and it looks tilted, and because of it, I used to have a mini heart attack that he would fall but I got used to it now. I think. I hope. :palmf:

mcq

Record Breaker
Lucky!! He's last group on Thursday phew. I admit I was slightly worried earlier when I first found out about 6am practice time.

Well, considering he is 1st in world standing currently I would be surprised if he is not in last group after the draw. :biggrin: They donn't get many MR practice so I guess he would attend all, like last year and before.

gladiolusc

Medalist
Well, considering he is 1st in world standing currently I would be surprised if he is not in last group after the draw. :biggrin: They donn't get many MR practice so I guess he would attend all, like last year and before.

Oops I meant lucky to have avoided 6am on Tuesday before the draw. @@ brains... Not much left as you can see. Hehe.

mcq

Record Breaker
Oops I meant lucky to have avoided 6am on Tuesday before the draw. @@ brains... Not much left as you can see. Hehe.

Same I did it a lot too, brain can't function well when it is late. :laugh: I can't even language too at times, what is English. :p
Since registration is on Sunday and first practice is on Monday, so he would arrive on Saturday/Friday? There will be quite a jetlag too. Too bad there is no non-stop flight from Toronto and too many connecting flights that can be chosen, so we won't be able to guess his arrival time :biggrin:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Same I did it a lot too, brain can't function well when it is late. :laugh: I can't even language too at times, what is English. :p
Since registration is on Sunday and first practice is on Monday, so he would arrive on Saturday/Friday? There will be quite a jetlag too. Too bad there is no non-stop flight from Toronto and too many connecting flights that can be chosen, so we won't be able to guess his arrival time :biggrin:

It is not difficult actually . I assume he will use Lufthansa flight from Toronto because Lufthansa and ANA are partners, as both are Star Alliance members and make transfer in Germany.

jinabee

On the Ice
is there an efficient way to identify jumps. I feel like at the moment I can only accurately tell triple axels (or not) :palmf:
this is may or may not be a post to increase my post count.

I was late on this but here's a playlist of videos I stared at the try to get something of an grasp of the differences between jumps. I suck at spotting flips still though. Other than axel, I'm I am fairly okay at toe-loops, loops and lutzes. I'm getting better at salchows. Yuzu's lutzes throw me because he doesn't have as long of a set up as other skaters. (Honestly if it comes out of nowhere and I haven't a clue what it is i assumes it's a flip)
When World's starts you can try doing what I've been doing at write down what jumps you think skaters are doing, then compare with the scorecard later. For AWG I got a solid half of elements right and some 'reasonable mistakes' like thinking a quad was a triple cuz they UR'd or thinking a f was a lz that had a edge call. We can both try to be experts by Olympics! haha.

Last edited:

Floria

Final Flight
I recognize toeloop from the turn skater is doing right before he jump. I hope you will understand what I'm talking about, I can't find a better way to describe it :confused:
You mean inside 3-turn for toe loop and outside 3-turn for Salchow?

When recognizing Yuzuru's jumps I have only problems with 4S and 4T (we discussed it before), also because he goes into these jumps very fast, he 'attacks' the jumps. But for example, his lutzes and flips are easy to distunguish because his Lutz is from a very nice, clear outside edge, while he jumps the Flip out of absolutely nowhere, very suddenly, out of steps (even though his Flip was called in the past, but he jumps it now from a slight inside edge).

After Axel and Lutz, to me, the easiest jump to recognize was Salchow, I even gave it a name, I called it the knock-kneed jump :laugh: It's not because of him, just in general it looks like skaters are knock-kneed at the take off of a Salchow.

4Lo is easy because of the X and it looks tilted, and because of it, I used to have a mini heart attack that he would fall but I got used to it now. I think. I hope. :palmf:

The first one I started to recognize was Axel, this one is quite evident. And then Salchow, maybe because I myself was playing with 1S at skating rink and I watched lots of videos of how it's done. Loop is easy to recognize, I learned it mostly because of Yuzuru's 4Lo :biggrin:
Lutz and flip are still the difficult ones, but I hope upcoming 4Lz will motivate me :laugh:.

mcq

Record Breaker

Yuzu and elizabet has not signed this. I wonder if this is taken during the simulation?

It is not difficult actually . I assume he will use Lufthansa flight from Toronto because Lufthansa and ANA are partners, as both are Star Alliance members and make transfer in Germany.

You are right. I assume he will take that, or air canada + lufthansa, since I doubt he will ride budget or took longer flight time. Though I would still have no idea which of it. :biggrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.