Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Ohhhhh......wow, it seemed just like yesterday they were competing at the same level, and now Yuzuru surpassed him so quickly! lol wonder how Hino feels :p
Hanyu has progressed extremely quickly; he was outside the top ten at his first Junior Worlds, but the next season he was unbeatable, even though he didn't turn 15 until midway through the season and was regularly competing against skaters more than four years his senior (he was the youngest competitor at the JGPF and one of the youngest at 2010 JW*). And Hanyu is young for a senior skater, of course (17 tomorrow, happy birthday to him!), but he's not juniorish - and his marks suggest that the judges already see him as a real contender. But it's worth remembering that this sort of progress is unusual even among top skaters; most guys will not be ready to compete as seniors at the age of 15. Even Patrick Chan, clearly a unique talent who did succeed as a teenager, was not getting these sort of scores at the comparable point in his career.

Hino is still very young, and it's perfectly reasonable for him to still be competing at the junior level. With so many talented Japanese skaters, he'd be better off developing as a junior and gaining a positive reputation for himself that way.

* Of the competitors with Wikipedia entries, only one was younger: Czech skater Petr Coufal, who finished 19th (ETA: the youngest competitor appears to have been China's Wenbo Zang).

Last edited:

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice
Hanyu has progressed extremely quickly; he was outside the top ten at his first Junior Worlds, but the next season he was unbeatable, even though he didn't turn 15 until midway through the season and was regularly competing against skaters more than four years his senior (he was the youngest competitor at the JGPF and one of the youngest at 2010 JW*). And Hanyu is young for a senior skater, of course (17 tomorrow, happy birthday to him!), but he's not juniorish - and his marks suggest that the judges already see him as a real contender. But it's worth remembering that this sort of progress is unusual even among top skaters; most guys will not be ready to compete as seniors at the age of 15. Even Patrick Chan, clearly a unique talent who did succeed as a teenager, was not getting these sort of scores at the comparable point in his career.

Hino is still very young, and it's perfectly reasonable for him to still be competing at the junior level. With so many talented Japanese skaters, he'd be better off developing as a junior and gaining a positive reputation for himself that way.

* Of the competitors with Wikipedia entries, only one was younger: Czech skater Petr Coufal, who finished 19th (ETA: the youngest competitor appears to have been China's Wenbo Zang).

If you want to look at all of their birthdays, it would probably be easier to look at the official entries list: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2010/CAT001EN.HTM

I should be working, so I'm not going to actually go through each of the 46 skaters, but feel free, if you'd like. :)

Becki

Medalist

I know that, Hino is just 16 (can't believe those born in 1995 are 16 now O____O), which is a perfectly fine age to still be in Juniors. Hanyu did advance through the levels and ranks quite quickly! but he's amazingly talented not only for someone his age, but for someone who only puts in an avg of 17 hours of practice per week!

jjane45

On the Ice
The clip from medal ceremony is so cute. Speaking of manga, he really reminds me of Akira in Hikaru no go.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Yuzuru turns 17 today! Maybe for his late birthday gift the gods will heal his ankles and give him two outstanding performances at the GPF :hb:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Ooo little boy growing up :) Happy birthday!! Hope Hanyu does better at his LP!

(Yeah I agree, I'd love a show down between him and Patrick Chan! May the best skater on the day wins.)

Becki

Medalist
Ooo little boy growing up :) Happy birthday!! Hope Hanyu does better at his LP!

(Yeah I agree, I'd love a show down between him and Patrick Chan! May the best skater on the day wins.)

If Yuzuru is injury free, and continues to improve, he is DEFINITELY going to be a contender for the podium in Sochi. Yuzuru is technically stronger than Patrick imho, as long as his quads are more consistent, he'll definitely win in the technical aspect. As for PC, with experience and must I say, "maturity", Yuzuru can challenge Patrick.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
In his interview to Asahi TV after GPF LP he said that Dai created a nice atmosphere in the audience and it really helped Yuzuru to skate with good feeling. Very noble comment to his fellow team member. Says a lot about Yuzuru's personality I think.

wallylutz

Medalist
In his interview to Asahi TV after GPF LP he said that Dai created a nice atmosphere in the audience and it really helped Yuzuru to skate with good feeling. Very noble comment to his fellow team member. Says a lot about Yuzuru's personality I think.

To me, such comment just sounds cheesy. Obviously, some people like superficial remarks and flattery like this as opposed to people who speak their mind, which is fine. Let's however try not to play psychologist and determine someone's personalty based on a canned answer made for the press.

chloepoco

Medalist
To me, such comment just sounds cheesy. Obviously, some people like superficial remarks and flattery like this as opposed to people who speak their mind, which is fine. Let's however try not to play psychologist and determine someone's personalty based on a canned answer made for the press.

Maybe that's what he really feels? Just because he's not making digs at his fellow competitor doesn't mean that it's a "canned answer."

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
So happy for Yuzuru. With his recent LP performance, he proved he belong to the GPF and is surely the contender to watch out for in the future.

The nature of human judging where impressions matters, will always prefer those ranked by seniority, familiarity and experience, that is why Liza and Hanyu will never get the PCS they deserve even if they did put out their best performance on the day. Plus the fact each federation will likely to their own preferred skater to win (e.g Johny Weir at the Olympics). This may means in general young skaters are likely to be somewhat disadvantaged as long as they have a senior in the same competition from the same federation.

It is a credit to Hanyu who were able to control his nerves and skated boldly with so much heart at his most important competition so far. He did himself and his country proud, and I am sure he gained quite a few new fans this year. What an exciting debut at his senior season! It may not be long before he reach Daisuke's craftsmanship and artistic realization, but his raw talent, aspirational program content, and vibrancy of youth has already surpass many skaters in my mind and makes him among the most exciting skatera to root for.

I look forward to the Japan nationals and hopefully he get to claim Japan's no.2 spot after Dai, and if he is really lucky, he might even sneak past the old master!

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I find it highly :unsure: that he's being beaten by Fernandez on PCS, but I'm sure eventually Yuzuru will build up a reputation that will allow him to be competitive. Yuzuru is a lovely skater and seems like a class act; I wish him all the best with the rest of the season and his future in the sport.

For some skaters, being nice and being honest are not mutually exclusive.

NMURA

Medalist
I find it highly :unsure: that he's being beaten by Fernandez on PCS, but I'm sure eventually Yuzuru will build up a reputation that will allow him to be competitive.

The main difference between Fernandez and Hanyu is -- European #1 vs Japan's #2. European judges want someone of their own on the GPF podium, especially because this season's worlds is in Europe. Fernandez is the first European GPF medalist since Lambiel in 2007. Hanyu had a little disadvantage from the skate order in the SP. And probably, some judges considered Fernandez was robbed in Russia (by miraculously narrow 0.03 points) and made up for him.

Becki

Medalist
The main difference between Fernandez and Hanyu is -- European #1 vs Japan's #2. European judges want someone of their own on the GPF podium, especially because this season's worlds is in Europe. Fernandez is the first European GPF medalist since Lambiel in 2007. Hanyu had a little disadvantage from the skate order in the SP. And probably, some judges considered Fernandez was robbed in Russia (by miraculously narrow 0.03 points) and made up for him.

That doesn't really make sense tho with Fernandez being European #1 and Hanyu Japanese #2...what does that have to do with the scoring? :S CoR and the GPF are two separate events, and I don't think the same judges were in both competitions....

Becki

Medalist

Argh, I think given his tender age and the fierce competition, he's just really happy to be competing at the Finals. He has everything to gain, and nothing to lose - so if having his teammate skate before him, and get a standing ovation, he feels the energy to follow a similar performance :p I highly doubt Yuzuru is making a superficial remark, and is in fact speaking his mind. What's he suppose to say to seem "real"? I am disappointed my teammate did an excellent job and now I must leave up to the expectations? That doesn't seem like the Yuzuru to me...