Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 192 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Meoima

Match Penalty
my two passions, classical music and skating :biggrin:
the 7th, I love the 7th. :yes:
I personally want to hear piano concertos other than Rach 2. There's Grieg, Brahms 2, Rach 3, Ravel, Tchaikovsky 1 (someone needs to do this piece justice, I can't stand Kovtun's long), Chopin 2 (and his other pieces! he wrote so much more than that nocturne)

Prokofiev *-* my love *-*
but I agree about the Dvorak! legendary symphony.

If it's Chopin then I would love to see any skater choose this one, which was only published after his death: http://youtu.be/YXhhYLMVMAc
Sounds easy but crazy phrasing! Wonderful piece and number 1 version by Sokolov.
Agree with you, someone please save Tchaikovsky piano concerto 1 from Kovtun!!!:bang:

And this one would be much better than even Yulia's Schindler's list: http://youtu.be/ImIwpDCMC10

won0066

On the Ice
As a former skater.....you do have some input into the choice of music for your programs. Its is a collaborative effort. It is hard to skate to music you dont feel or relate to so to force a specific piece onto a skater is not a good strategy. In my personal opinion, im not that excited that skaters can use lyrics...for competitions. I would prefer that to stay in shows only, but just my humble opinion.

Even for Brian Orser...he fell in love with The Bolt 3 years before the 88 Olympics, and says he ear marked it for his olympic program, so he kept it in his collection until he wanted to showcase it.

I live in Canada and cant wait for Yuzuru to return...because here at least he can have somewhat of a normal life and train hard and concentrate on what he needs to do. He can walk down the streets without getting mobbed by fans. Hopefully it will be a good break from the media scrutiny as well...although i know that the media sends film crews to his practice arena to film sometimes, mostly its closed sessions to just members of the club.

jimeonji

Final Flight
If it's Chopin then I would love to see any skater choose this one, which was only published after his death: http://youtu.be/YXhhYLMVMAc
Sounds easy but crazy phrasing! Wonderful piece and number 1 version by Sokolov.
Agree with you, someone please save Tchaikovsky piano concerto 1 from Kovtun!!!:bang:

And this one would be much better than even Yulia's Schindler's list: http://youtu.be/ImIwpDCMC10
yes!!! I love that waltz.
I literally just discovered this after listening to the original piano version for the longest time - Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, orchestrated by Ravel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkC3chi_ysw I think this could be just as good as the other pieces that were linked!!

Meoima

Match Penalty
yes!!! I love that waltz.
I literally just discovered this after listening to the original piano version for the longest time - Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, orchestrated by Ravel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkC3chi_ysw I think this could be just as good as the other pieces that were linked!!
Lol! I like Mussorgsky much better than Rachmaninov! Mussorgsky has the rawness and the powerful/heroic tone. Rachmaninov sounds cheesy to my ears.
And yes, that Pictures at an Exhibition version for orchestra is wonderful! We could even make a movie on skating base on the music.:popcorn:
Each skater can portray a picture mentioned in the exhibition, they can choose a suitable section to skate along.
That would be a masterpiece! We need another drama on ice called Pictures at an Exhibition!:yay:

Sorry my imagination runs a bit wild. :laugh:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Shae-Lynn Bourne choreography is quite interesting most of the time. I would love to see Yuzuru tries somethings in that direction too.

Great news about Shae-Lynn. She has done some wonderful work which I've admired. I would love to see Yuzu do something a bit edgy as well. I'm not a big fan of over-used classical music and think Yuzu is so wonderful at telling a story that a piece which enables him to do so would be best.

Esopian

Final Flight
I live in Canada and cant wait for Yuzuru to return...because here at least he can have somewhat of a normal life and train hard and concentrate on what he needs to do. He can walk down the streets without getting mobbed by fans. Hopefully it will be a good break from the media scrutiny as well...although i know that the media sends film crews to his practice arena to film sometimes, mostly its closed sessions to just members of the club.

I agree, with his popularity in Japan, it's necessary for him to spend some time having a normal life when he's not skating. It's great that his fans are increasing, but at the same time he seems like an intellectual individual who likes to get work done. Without the hype/media surrounding him, he could get more done in less time. I hope after this weekend's ice show that he'll go back to Canada -where everything is a lot more peaceful (in terms of popularity and overall population in the area).

In the midst of all this, how does he balance having a normal life, figure skating and progress with his online degree in Waseda University? :confused:

jimeonji

Final Flight
Lol! I like Mussorgsky much better than Rachmaninov! Mussorgsky has the rawness and the powerful/heroic tone. Rachmaninov sounds cheesy to my ears.
And yes, that Pictures at an Exhibition version for orchestra is wonderful! We could even make a movie on skating base on the music.:popcorn:
Each skater can portray a picture mentioned in the exhibition, they can choose a suitable section to skate along.
That would be a masterpiece! We need another drama on ice called Pictures at an Exhibition!

Sorry my imagination runs a bit wild.
I personally loooove Rachmaninoff, but I know where you're coming from. Hearing PC2 so many times gets a bit boring :disapp: (which is why I save it for Mao and special occasions, and I only listen to my favorite recording, so I will always enjoy it!) he has numerous preludes and etudes that are beautiful. I'm actually currently working on the Op 23 no 5 in G minor that Stephane skated to for an ex :biggrin:
I'm with you on the movie thing, that would be epic :popcorn:

roxella

On the Ice
I find it funny how we always return to the topic of music we want Yuzuru to skate :laugh:

I was thinking about the same thing :) But I must admit that I like a lot the topic because in this way I can find out about some very interesting music pieces that I didn't know so far...since I am not a big fan of classical music - shame on me :slink:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I was thinking about the same thing :) But I must admit that I like a lot the topic because in this way I can find out about some very interesting music pieces that I didn't know so far...since I am not a big fan of classical music - shame on me :slink:

It's the same for me, I've been playing the piano for 3 years but I know almost nothing about classical music :eek:: btw that waltz you posted is very beautiful, I can imagine Yuzuru skating to that :popcorn: