Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season

Nattou

Rinkside
Nattou, Welcome to Golden Skate! May you post long and often!!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM :biggrin:

He was injured before the FS and had to get painkillers injected into him (from other posters). He had an ankle injury during the GP series too so it may have never healed (my guess). Peter Carruthers also hates the A spin and said the same exact thing as you "he is so above that position in the spin".

Thank you for the welcomes :)

Goodness me, so he did injure his ankle before the FS. How come I didn't know that? So that explained the bizarre fall out of nowhere. I was afraid he hurt his left kneecap since it hit so hard directly on the ice, but now it turned out to be his right ankle being the reason. I can't believe he beautifully succeeded in the quad and triple jumps. I assume that after the fall, both his legs hurt like hell (but to be honest, I don't want to think about that :cry:), yet he managed to pull out a majestic performance, not to mention the Exhibition. Such an admirable and inspirable person Yuzuru is.

I don't like the position of A spin. EuroSport commentator (I don't know his name) loves Yuzuru's spins during his SP. He said "Just about the best spinner in the world. Can’t think of anybody who does better than that." And I think so too. That's why I said he was way above the A spin. I'm looking forward to see something new and fabulous next season.

Last edited:
^ Takahashi also admires Y's spins - after the small medal ceremony he said he wanted Y to teach him how to spin. He's ever humble, that guy.

Nattou

Rinkside
^ Takahashi also admires Y's spins - after the small medal ceremony he said he wanted Y to teach him how to spin. He's ever humble, that guy.

Yeah, I just read the translation of that interview. Yuzuru's spins are fierce and fast, but I think Daisuke's spins are great too. I'm totally in love with his spin at the end of his SP. But still, I think Yuzuru's the best spinner among those I've seen.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Yeah, I just read the translation of that interview. Yuzuru's spins are fierce and fast, but I think Daisuke's spins are great too. I'm totally in love with his spin at the end of his SP. But still, I think Yuzuru's the best spinner among those I've seen.

His back sit spin looked even faster when he was younger. This was him with his mushroom haircut in 2007 his back sit was beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu89vC7xJGE

Yuzuru probably just lost concentration when he fell on that turn. You could totally tell he was going down. Must have hurt a lot b/c he probably didn't expect to fall, but he did a lot better in recovering compared to CoR.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I'd be amazed he is able to held on to his Biellmann when he reaches 18 next year or beyond. This is such an insane spin for guys and even for ladies who are not naturally flexible. Are there any other male skaters able to do this?

Oh yeah I remember it was either Chris or Simon from UK Eurosport said he is one of the best spinner in the world! I recorded and can go back to check. I think they just meant males skaters. Spinning wise, I think ladies still have the advantages in term of flexibility and such.

[ Oh hi Nattou btw, yeahhh more Hanyu fans here :) ]

Last edited:

Nattou

Rinkside
His back sit spin looked even faster when he was younger. This was him with his mushroom haircut in 2007 his back sit was beautiful.

Yuzuru probably just lost concentration when he fell on that turn. You could totally tell he was going down. Must have hurt a lot b/c he probably didn't expect to fall, but he did a lot better in recovering compared to CoR.

Oh yeah, that "Firebird" performance, one of the most impressive since he was at such a young age. I was like... holy freak, look at the positions and speed ∑(O_O;)

I remember some commentator said something about wrong edge regarding of his fall. He looked really down when he tried to stand up, but the next moment he was like bam the 3A-3T. Such great concentration!

I'd be amazed he is able to held on to his Biellmann when he reaches 18 next year or beyond. This is such an insane spin for guys and even for ladies who are not natural flexible. Are there any other male skaters able to do this?

Oh yeah I remember it was either Chris or Simon from UK Eurosport said he is one of the best spinner in the world! I recorded and can go back to check. I think they just meant males skaters. Spinning wise, I think ladies still have the advantage in term of flexibility and such.

[ Oh hi Nattou btw, yeahhh more Hanyu fans here :) ]

Yeah, I also think he was talking about male skaters. But really, Yuzuru and Plushenko are the only men I've seen to perform Biellmann (http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/gwensharp/Soc Images/plushenko.jpg). If Yuzuru is still able to to it after he turns 18 or 19, that'd be mad impressive. However, it'd be better if he could spring his leg down less 'violently'. By the way, Mao Asada's Biellmann is my favorite! XD

And hi there, nice to find out this forum :)

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yeah, I also think he was talking about male skaters. But really, Yuzuru and Plushenko are the only men I've seen to perform Biellmann (http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp297/gwensharp/Soc Images/plushenko.jpg). If Yuzuru is still able to to it after he turns 18 or 19, that'd be mad impressive. However, it'd be better if he could spring his legs down less 'violently'. By the way, Mao Asada's Biellmann is my favorite! XD

Ah Plushy... that makes so much sense. I actually love how much respect he pay tribute to his favourite skaters. Hanyu's the perfect sponge! Soaking everything up :)

Do you remember his final pose at the end of Romeo and Juliet when he finish with the finger point to the sky... that is definitely a Plushy end pose.

Nattou

Rinkside
Do you remember his final pose at the end of Romeo and Juliet when he finish with the finger point to the sky... that is definitely a Plushy end pose.

How can I forget that super epic final pose?
Can't wait to see him "Level up" and has big achievements like Plushenko did :)

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I've seen a few other male skaters do better Biellmann spins than Yuzuru. Michael Christian Martinez is a recent example. In this video, he goes from a fan spiral into a split falling leaf into a combination spin that ends with a Biellmann, all beautifully extended. He also does the only credible Charlotte spiral I've seen from a male skater if you stick around to the end.

Yuzuru is exceptional at a lot of things. The Biellmann isn't one of them. He doesn't need it to distinguish himself, nor does it really do that for him any more. He should definitely ditch it. His layback ina isn't all that any more, either.

Last edited:
K

kilyca

I've seen a few other male skaters do better Biellmann spins than Yuzuru. Michael Christian Martinez is a recent example. In this video, he goes from a fan spiral into a split falling leaf into a combination spin that ends with a Biellmann, all beautifully extended. He also does the only credible Charlotte spiral I've seen from a male skater if you stick around to the end.

Yuzuru is exceptional at a lot of things. The Biellmann isn't one of them. He doesn't need it to distinguish himself, nor does it really do that for him any more. He should definitely ditch it. His layback ina isn't all that any more, either.
Yuzuru has been already aware that flexibility is lost year by year.
Probably a boy of the video is so in the future, too.
Besides, Yuzuru minds synchronizing with music and falls into underrotated.
It is rational not to do it if he loses an evaluation. It was discussed by fans in Japan from last season, too. We worry whether he does hurt a waist like Plushenko. Probably the people around him give such an advice, too. No way he himself is not aware of it of course.
Opposite of rationality has aesthetics, including respect to Plushenko.
Yuzuru is a skater and is an artist.
He may continue it until he hurts his body if it is his aesthetics to perform Biellmann.
Even if it is aesthetics even if rational, I accept his judgment.

So. I like his firebird, too. His nickname was really きのこ[=mushroom].

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
Yuzuru has been already aware that flexibility is lost year by year.
Probably a boy of the video is so in the future, too.
Besides, Yuzuru minds synchronizing with music and falls into underrotated.
It is rational not to do it if he loses an evaluation. It was discussed by fans in Japan from last season, too. We worry whether he does hurt a waist like Plushenko. Probably the people around him give such an advice, too. No way he himself is not aware of it of course.
Opposite of rationality has aesthetics, including respect to Plushenko.
Yuzuru is a skater and is an artist.
He may continue it until he hurts his body if it is his aesthetics to perform Biellmann.
Even if it is aesthetics even if rational, I accept his judgment.

So. I like his firebird, too. His nickname was really きのこ[=mushroom].

I find it adorable how Takahashi said even tho Yuzuru looks cute and boyish, yet his personality is very manly and "carnivorous" xD I read somewhere that if Oda and Yuzuru were to do pairs, Yuzuru would only want to play the guy in the pair.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Here's a news video of Yuzuru in Sendai a year after the natural disaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK9qJaIWjrY&feature=related

I believe this is the translation that I found from masqueradewaltz yahoo blog can be used for this video. The video on the blog was private, but from the chinese subs in the video, the content is the same and the times are still correct with the video linked.

01:34
3.11. East Japan great earthquake.

The earthquake of magnitude 9 caused Sendai big damage.
At that time, Yuzuru Hanyu was in the rink. He was safely though the building was
damaged.
However, his home was in complete destruction and he had to take shelter to the refuge,
the elementary school, with his family.

2:12
It's been already a year since the earthquake.
He visited the elementary school of the refuge again.

It was here. That was such a small area where I stayed.
I spent time at here with my family of four.
I took a picture here like that.

At that time, he took a picture.

450 people were taking shelter here.

At night, there were only two lights of the private power generation.
He was not able to go to sleep easily.

I felt the shaking of the earth while sleeping, in my dream.
That made me recalled the scene of the rink and my sense at the earthquake.
I recalled such scenes from various angles.
I always had such dreams.
It was so painful for me.

3:47
They spent the days in the severe cold and were frightened by the aftershocks.
Foods and goods were in the short supply so people were as hard as possible to be alive.
The distributions of boiled rice by the school personnel were only twice in a day.

We shared one rice ball by two people.
The teachers distributed those to us with apologizing.
We all worried about whether it was possible to live as same as before the earthquake.
I couldn't say "I want to skate" at all.
I alone must not be doing what I love.

He lost the home rink for the practice.

5:04
However, when cherry blossoms bloomed, he was given a helping hand.
The ice shows are held from spring to summer in the whole of the country.
The requests to perform in the show rushed to him.
He performed to 60 shows for half a year in being away from Sendai.
And he had practiced in spare of his works.
While his drawing people's attention as a representative of victim, he saw the photograph
of the refuge when he was alone every day.
He left the hometown, and was holding such a feeling.

6:00
I was full of apologizing to people in the stricken area.
I alone get away from Sendai for skating, although everyone works hard in that area.
Is it really good in it?

He felt that one has a debt to pay.

6:40
The expectations of medias for him were getting larger and larger as the season had
come.
"He is a hope for Sendai, who fights against world by overcoming the earthquake",
it was a too great expectation for 16-year-old boy.

Why do I have to carry such a heavy load on my shoulder.
I was almost defeated at pressure.

Solitary fight on the ice.
"I will fight not for the stricken area but for myself", he persuaded himself.

Anyway, I should do my best because I am away from stricken area

He won the two international competitions at this season.

7:45
His activity had given big power to the people in Tohoku in those days.
It was a pleasant surprise for him.

I was very glad to see their messages such as "I got a power by watching your skating"
or "Your performance gives me courage".

8:12
He makes his quad succeed in all-Japan championship and won the 3rd place.
He was able to qualify in the Worlds at the age of only 17.
He was not solitary any longer on the ice.

I am all right. I am not alone any longer.
I can skate by connecting with a lot of people.

"Hope for Sendai" that he felt as heavy load before, became his power.

That feeling has brought me of today.
Even when person was in very painful state, the person is not alone.

He noticed it due to the earthquake.

10:07
I was supported by supporter in the refuge and a lot of people.
They provided us water and foods.
They were also struck and might have worried about their family left in their home.
However, they devoted themselves to support us first. I was really thankful in them.
It has already passed one year.

Now, "The hope for Sendai" goes on forward to the world without forgetting the feeling
for his homeland Tohoku.
11:15

K

kilyca

I find it adorable how Takahashi said even tho Yuzuru looks cute and boyish, yet his personality is very manly and "carnivorous" xD I read somewhere that if Oda and Yuzuru were to do pairs, Yuzuru would only want to play the guy in the pair.
Yuzu is like a baby of carnivorous animal of the cat family.
But the character manliest among the Japanese who participated in the world championship is Narumi.:laugh:
The words that Narumi uses well. ⇒ "Fighting spirit and Guts!"

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker

I believe this is the translation that I found from masqueradewaltz yahoo blog can be used for this video. The video on the blog was private, but from the chinese subs in the video, the content is the same and the times are still correct with the video linked.

11:15

Thanks for this... lucky for me, I can read Chinese. Wow this bring a totally new level of appreciation I have for this kid, and what is really behind his tears at the end of his Romeo and Juliet. He didn't tear up for himself, but gratefulness for the people who supported him, especially those from Sendai he share the disaster shelters with 450 people at the school. They eat 1 rice ball handed down from teachers at the school twice a day, and sometimes 2 people shares 1 small rice ball. Those who has ever experienced major loss, uncertain future, and hunger should know these are experiences one is unlikely to ever forget so no wonder this is a kid who grew up fast.

Hanyu said he feels warmth, appreciation and strength from those who shared shelters with him, feels guilty instead of suffering with them at the shelter entirely, he ran away to train in figure skating. He is said to be very grateful that they worry about him and his conditions so much when there are far more important things. He did over 60 shows in the year to get ice time and to raise money for Sendai.

With so much pent up emotion in this 17 year old, conflicted sorrow, grief, questioning on himself, his ethics, philosophy, purpose, but also optimism, hope, self-assurance and reliance, Hanyu were able to rise from the gloom to fight his way to the worlds podium carrying the hope and the spirit of his people. It is good then we couldn't ask for a better ending. He really fought and delivered his promise to them and was fearless in his pursuit. I love that! I have always commented the way he attack his program and incredible high difficulty elements remind me of a young warrior who knows no fear and maybe a little naive. Little does I know actually this kid knows plenty about fear and loss, that somehow he was able to turn into a strength and battled his way 100% everytime out there. Even with an injury now we know about on top of his training and asthma problems. It explains why his coach who were usually so cool and level headed at the Kiss & Cry has totally choked up at the end of the FS. They really stuck it out together this past year through so much tough spots, it really is the best ending they can ask for and be proud of.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think he will keep his bielman until 21-22, Plush did, although it looked painful slow at the end, but he will not lose all the flexibility unless there is an injury(knock wood) and he can keep the donut even more, donut is a more favor spin of mine than bielman. Actually his bielman reminds me more of Irina's with the head so far back :D
I thought the end of Hanyu fs was so diva-ish, if I wasnt already a fan I would. :love: Btw, I watched at work mute and still is awesome. :)

Mushroom haircut :laugh: I remember that haircut but by the time i saw him live he had his hair cut.
This is my first and only time I saw him live, Buttercup had sent me a note to watch this junior, and he won me over. Video is shaky cause I m cheering :eek::

Becki

Medalist
I think he will keep his bielman until 21-22, Plush did, although it looked painful slow at the end, but he will not lose all the flexibility unless there is an injury(knock wood) and he can keep the donut even more, donut is a more favor spin of mine than bielman. Actually his bielman reminds me more of Irina's with the head so far back :D
I thought the end of Hanyu fs was so diva-ish, if I wasnt already a fan I would. :love: Btw, I watched at work mute and still is awesome. :)

Mushroom haircut :laugh: I remember that haircut but by the time i saw him live he had his hair cut.
This is my first and only time I saw him live, Buttercup had sent me a note to watch this junior, and he won me over. Video is shaky cause I m cheering :eek::

The ending of Hanyu FS scares me....and then one minute later, he's all smiley!

I like his current haircut. I heard his mushroom haircut was inspired by Plushenko's hairstyle :p

This video might be of interest to some of you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLPK9PeCeOg&feature=related

I've never watched him skate that slowly before, but he has such charisma on the ice!! Little Yuzuru is barely 14 in this video, has such good looks :p He looks older when he gels his hair, and looks like a little boy with the mushroom cut!

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist

Thank to FTnoona for sharing and if and thank to the blogger at masqueradewaltz yahoo blog very much for translate this into English.

The new content is really touching and it's really explain why his FS at world is so emotional.

Hanyu said he feels warmth, appreciation and strength from those who shared shelters with him, feels guilty instead of suffering with them at the shelter entirely, he ran away to train in figure skating. He is said to be very grateful that they worry about him and his conditions so much when there are far more important things. He did over 60 shows in the year to get ice time and to raise money for Sendai.

With so much pent up emotion in this 17 year old, conflicted sorrow, grief, questioning on himself, his ethics, philosophy, purpose, but also optimism, hope, self-assurance and reliance, Hanyu were able to rise from the gloom to fight his way to the worlds podium carrying the hope and the spirit of his people. It is good then we couldn't ask for a better ending. He really fought and delivered his promise to them and was fearless in his pursuit. I love that! I have always commented the way he attack his program and incredible high difficulty elements remind me of a young warrior who knows no fear and maybe a little naive. Little does I know actually this kid knows plenty about fear and loss, that somehow he was able to turn into a strength and battled his way 100% everytime out there. Even with an injury now we know about on top of his training and asthma problems. It explains why his coach who were usually so cool and level headed at the Kiss & Cry has totally choked up at the end of the FS. They really stuck it out together this past year through so much tough spots, it really is the best ending they can ask for and be proud of.

OS, I couldn't say this better, it is exaclty how I feel.

Last edited:
K

kilyca

Icerink Sendai Opening Ceremony and 12-year-old Hanyu interview 2007,03,22

I hope this video is not geoblocked: http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzc3NDg4NDI4.html
The content of the video is as follows.
Izumi-ku, Icerink-Sendai, live broadcast (Subtitles of the top right corner)
Reporter) I am in Ice-rink-Sendai in Izumi-ku, Sendai-shi now. There was Konami-Sports-club in this place before. About two years pass and are the reopening since it was closed down in December, 2004.
It is famous here as the place that Torino Olympics gold medalist Shizuka Arakawa practiced before.
The ceremony before the reopening was held already. Prefectural governor and mayor, and people concerned of skating attended at ceremony.
The Governor Murai gave a speech in this way, "In skating kingdom Miyagi, fire(hope) was turned on again. I hope that skaters like Shizuka Arakawa are brought up." And the ice show was held and became the gorgeous atmosphere here.
While here was closed, skaters of Sendai seemed to do trouble to look for practice place.
Then I hear the story from Yuzuru Hanyu of the Miyagi figure skating club which practiced before closedown at this skating rink. Thanking you in advance.
YUZU)Thank you.
Reporter) Did you have a hard time since this rink was closed?
YUZU) My favorite rink disappeared and, I was troubled about how continued skating. I practiced with rink of Katsuyama and Kouseinenkin, but I unaccustomed and, was also high transportation costs and, but here reopens, I am glad very much.
Reporter) By the reopening here, does your practice time seem to become long?
YUZU) Yes. I think that I get longer.
Reporter) In this way, it is very happy for people concerned with skating. This rink can enjoy 4 kinds sports through one year.
(Figure skating / short track race / curling / ice hockey)

I leave it out afterward because it is the notices such as business hours.:p

Yuzu's voice was so cute.(⌒▽⌒)

Last edited: