Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
US figure skater Johnny Weir. (ISU, 30 Sep 2013)
fixed:biggrin:

although they are still forgetting russia's very own Plushenko

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Amazing performance, he's so talented! I can't wait for the individual event. I really hope he will win the gold medal.

emdee

Final Flight
Amazing skate from Hanyu even while my main man collapsed.....but I love hanyu's persona in this short. It suits his youth very well. Brian was over the moon.

Becki

Medalist
Yeah Yuzuru delivered!

Now please break 100 points in the individual SP event! =D

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Yuzuru was wow! What amazes me the most was that he looked so cool, confident and not at least overwhelmed by the occasion - in fact it was my favourite performance of this SP so far. That will help him in the individual and he certainly can do it. What a man!

emdee

Final Flight
Yuzuru was wow! What amazes me the most was that he looked so cool, confident and not at least overwhelmed by the occasion - in fact it was my favourite performance of this SP so far. That will help him in the individual and he certainly can do it. What a man!

I know many here don't like Brian but there is something to be said about how he protects his skaters during the Olympics.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Parisienne Walkways is the best short program I've ever seen and it fits Yuzuru perfectly. He looked very confident and I'm sure it's because of the program, the music, the choreography. I was worried at the start of the program that he won't stand the pressure of an Olympic event, but when the music started I was sure he would be great. He deserves 100 points for this.

phaeljones

On the Ice
I know many here don't like Brian but there is something to be said about how he protects his skaters during the Olympics.

I agree. Yesterday, it was as if there was a protective force field surrounding Yuzuru.

I was very saddened when Yuzuru left Nanami, but I have come to really like Brian . . . in the last two years. From watching the interaction, I also have the sense that Brian knows how to well protect his skaters and to move in and help lift them up when they are down or vulnerable. Yuzuru is one tough spirit (compassionate, artistic and tenacious) who never gives up, but there have been times when I worried about his vulnerability and how fast he could come back. (Always knew that he would though.) At worlds, last year (when Yuzu was coming off injury and illness), after the short, I was worried about his confidence and composure. He is very very critical of himself and, last year, at worlds, (let us remember we are talking about an 18 year old kid who pulled up stakes and was living in a foreign city for year in rather isolated circumstances) he had to come back and skate after one of the most disappointing short skates of his life. Yet, Hanyu showed up for the fs and gave one of the grittiest toughest never-surrender performances of any skater that I have ever seen. That 2013 Worlds performance, although not his best skate, was way beyond expectation (for me) of being possible for anyone and so, for me, it is one of his most important of his skates to re-watch. It was a triumph of spirit and tenacity of a incredibly special athlete. This year, after Skate Canada, I was worried about his nervousness and whether he would overcome that nervousness enough to be Olympic podium contender. Yet at TEB, he came back fully confident (and you could see the difference even as soon as he took the ice for practice and warm-up). If we think back to that period between Skate Canada and TEB, most of us felt he would prevail eventually but that not so quickly. This year, basically from TEB on, it has been as if Hanyu has been able to focus on his skating without getting thrown off mentally. Even when he missed his salchows, he picked himself up and put himself back in the zone right in the same skate. Even a ditch can't dampen his spirit as that skate at TEB showed everyone. But now at the Olympics, watching Yuzuru skate yesterday and re-watching it several times, I don't ever think that I have seen him so calm and yet so focussed and precise. I have to think that Brian has been a part of that mental development and helped him do that, and I also have come to feel, from my observations, that when Yuzu has a vulnerable moment, Brian knows how to move in and help Yuzuru counteract it fast.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

Yes, I am not a fan of Brian Orser and would have prefered Yuzuru to stay with Nanami. You never know how it would have played out with her, but Brian Orser knows exactly what it is all about in the Olympics! Yuzurus team must have had these Olympics in their thoughts already when making the decision in 2012. I think right now the chances for Yuzuru and the OGM are better than ever. He is peaking at the right time, and he beat Patrick in their last 2 competitions so everything is pointing towards success. It is probably better to be young and with a long career in front of you in the Olympics. Yuzuru and Julia Lipnitskaia don't seem to overthink yet and that's why they are such big threats to the favourites.

yude

Record Breaker
http://sochi.sports.yahoo.co.jp/column/detail/201402070003-spnavi

Very rough translation of some of Yuzuru's comments after SP of team event

"I felt so good. But it (not sure he means Olympics or Team event) is not over yet. I usually don't pump my fist, but I was very happy that I could skate for Japan. I was really nervous because this was not only my performance. I bowed to the Japanese national flag, it was good for me to do my best for Japan."

(about SP)"The feeling was good but lutz was lean. I tried my best but it wasn't my maximum performance, so I am going to review for the individual event."

(Are you relieved?)"I was relieved for my decent skate more than for being the first place. But it was good to gain 10 points for the team, for Japan. I did everything I could do, so I will cheer for the team at my best."

(Was this SP beneficial for you?)"Yes, it was. I have a week for the individual event, it was beneficial to figure out how I am now. And having a week is helpful to me, it is going to be good days-off and make me think Mens' event as another competition."

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I can't notice there's a huge difference between Yuzuru's comments and Chan's or Plushenko's. He's modest and focuses on his job, not on what his rivals do. This is very good for him.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't notice there's a huge difference between Yuzuru's comments and Chan's or Plushenko's. He's modest and focuses on his job, not on what his rivals do. This is very good for him.

Exactly. That's why I like him and hope he takes home the OGM - he focuses on his skating, not his competitors or posturing. So glad he's in first place, well deserved.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Keeping PW short program was definitely the right thing to do as I predicted months ago. Yuzu rocked that performance and I've been reading glowing comments about him here in the US from people who have never before heard his name. What a brilliant statement he made yesterday.:clap:

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Keeping PW short program was definitely the right thing to do as I predicted months ago. Yuzu rocked that performance and I've been reading glowing comments about him here in the US from people who have never before heard his name. What a brilliant statement he made yesterday.:clap:

Yes, I've been getting messages and comments from non-skating fans here, and everyone is super impressed with Yuzuru. :agree: I showed his program to some friends on campus the other day and ended up replaying it at least 3 times because people kept coming over wanting to see what was going on.