Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 39 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I have other look at winning with mistakes, like Yuzuru Olympic. Well basically it is not his fault that even with falls he is making the rest of the program better than anyone else. For me it is not all about that he falls and he shouldn't win. He is fighter and he fights to the end. He falls in the 2012 worlds, but the performance was simply amazing. He is very young so he was for sure very, very nervous before FS at the olympic, after this fantastic SP with world record. He opened the doors for PAtrick but he did not used this :)

I hope we will see at the coming worlds his beatifull landed quad sal. On practice videos it looks as easy as his 4T, so fingers crossed :)

phaeljones

On the Ice
Nope he cannot do that. Cause Zayak rule.

correct. one of the most important rules to know before choosing one's jumps.

during an actual skate, where the skater has to improvise with switch-ups, zayak is not sometimes to easy to keep track of. even the most experienced skaters sometimes lose track of the jumps they have done and repeat them (as did Fernandez in his fs at the Olympics, as did Chan last year 2012 at GPF(?) and Oda previously to that). it means that the jumps are pointless. but the double in a combo, like a 4T-4T would be the most flagrant violation of the rule in its simplest form.

interestingly, it has been reported (see discussion going back earlier a few months ago in this thread) that Orser has said that he discussed with Yuzuru the possibility of removing the quad salchow and replacing it with a second 4T in combination with a triple, but that Yuzuru told him that he preferred to keep the salchow. so it has not as if it has not been considered and put to the skater and it is Yuzuru that is the hold-out, not Orser. Nevertheless, it seems to go with the direction or development that Yuzuru had mapped out for the long term, to add to the different types of quads he does over time. (the 4A scares me though and I hope he stays away from that, given what Yagudin's experience was with it and what he said about it.) Scorewise, although it is less an issue now that Patrick is not going to worlds, I sure hope that he starts nailing it in competition because it is starting to wear. (but I do look forward to his trying it at Worlds this year. worth a few more shots given that he does it so well in practice.)

note: slight edit made for completion purposes.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
correct.

zayak is not sometimes to easy to keep track of. even skaters sometimes lose track of the jumps they have done and repeat their jumps (as did Fernandez in his fs at the Olympics, as did Chan last year 2012 at GPF(?) and Oda previously to that). but the double in a combo would be the most flagrant violation of the rule in its simplest form.

interestingly, it has been reported that Orser has said that he discussed with Yuzuru the possibility of removing the quad salchow and replacing it with a second 4T in combination with a triple, but that Yuzuru told him that he preferred to keep the salchow. so it has not as if it has not been considered and put to the skater and it is Yuzuru that is the hold-out, not Orser. Nevertheless, it seems to go with the direction or development that Yuzuru had mapped out for the long term, to add to the different types of quads he does over time. (the 4A scares me though and I hope he stays away from that.) Scorewise, although it is less an issue now that Patrick is not going to worlds, I sure hope that he starts nailing it in competition because it is starting to wear. (but I do look forward to his trying it at Worlds this year. worth a few more shots given that he does it so well in practice.)

He even did 4S in seq with 3A 3A (from standing without speed... :eek:) on ex, so I think it is just some sort of stress in his mind in competition about that jump, but I hope that he will be relaxed more in Worlds due to Patrick is not going there :)

giulia95

Medalist

during an actual skate, where the skater has to improvise with switch-ups, zayak is not sometimes to easy to keep track of. even the most experienced skaters sometimes lose track of the jumps they have done and repeat them

interestingly, it has been reported (see discussion going back earlier a few months ago in this thread) that Orser has said that he discussed with Yuzuru the possibility of removing the quad salchow and replacing it with a second 4T in combination with a triple, but that Yuzuru told him that he preferred to keep the salchow. so it has not as if it has not been considered and put to the skater and it is Yuzuru that is the hold-out, not Orser. .

this is so Yuzuru !:)

If I remeber correctly, Orser said the same about the two crazy 3A combinations in the second part of the FS , which nobody else actually performs and nobody has ever done before probably..

That's the reason why he is such a young OGM , he sets the bar higher and higher for himself .

Curiously I don't remeber any Yuzu's Zayac episode , maybe because he has an analytical mind and loves math, as he stated :biggrin:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
He even did 4S in seq with 3A 3A (from standing without speed... :eek:) on ex, so I think it is just some sort of stress in his mind in competition about that jump, but I hope that he will be relaxed more in Worlds due to Patrick is not going there :)

Yuzu doesn't seem to care so much if Patrick is competing or not. :) But I agree he has a problem with the 4S in competition because of the stress. He needs to be more confident about it. Maybe it's not a good idea that the 4S is the first jump in the program:think:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
this is so Yuzuru !:)

...Curiously I don't remeber any Yuzu's Zayac episode , maybe because he has an analytical mind and loves math, as he stated :biggrin:

I think he violated it in the 2010 CoR (his first year in senior competition) and never since then. He has the ability to learn quickly from his mistakes and apparently has a mind like a sponge at least when it comes to skating. His being mathematically inclined can only be an asset :)

giulia95

Medalist
I think he violated it in the 2010 CoR (his first year in senior competition) and never since then. He has the ability to learn quickly from his mistakes and apparently has a mind like a sponge at least when it comes to skating. His being mathematically inclined can only be an asset :)

many thanks for the reply! I like the "sponge mind" idea :)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
.. Like the kid was playing both Juliet and Romeo in one performance.:laugh:

I get that feeling not because of the costume but because of the stabbing motion in his two Romeo and Juliet programs. In Shakespeare's play, it was Juliet who stabbed herself, while Romeo drank poison.

Re the costume, I am glad that Yuzuru's winning the gold medal silenced critics (Kurt Browning among them) that it may prevent him from being Olympic champion.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

during an actual skate, where the skater has to improvise with switch-ups, zayak is not sometimes to easy to keep track of. even the most experienced skaters sometimes lose track of the jumps they have done and repeat them (as did Fernandez in his fs at the Olympics, as did Chan last year 2012 at GPF(?) and Oda previously to that). it means that the jumps are pointless. but the double in a combo, like a 4T-4T would be the most flagrant violation of the rule in its simplest form.

interestingly, it has been reported (see discussion going back earlier a few months ago in this thread) that Orser has said that he discussed with Yuzuru the possibility of removing the quad salchow and replacing it with a second 4T in combination with a triple, but that Yuzuru told him that he preferred to keep the salchow. so it has not as if it has not been considered and put to the skater and it is Yuzuru that is the hold-out, not Orser. Nevertheless, it seems to go with the direction or development that Yuzuru had mapped out for the long term, to add to the different types of quads he does over time. (the 4A scares me though and I hope he stays away from that, given what Yagudin's experience was with it and what he said about it.) Scorewise, although it is less an issue now that Patrick is not going to worlds, I sure hope that he starts nailing it in competition because it is starting to wear. (but I do look forward to his trying it at Worlds this year. worth a few more shots given that he does it so well in practice.)

note: slight edit made for completion purposes.

What happened to yagudin with the 4A?:

phaeljones

On the Ice
As I am not sure, he was saying this jump is too dangerous .

My recollection from reading an article based on one of Yagudin's interviews was that he chose to give it up because, on one of his tries, he almost broke his neck on the landing.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
My recollection from reading an article based on one of Yagudin's interviews was that he chose to give it up because, on one of his tries, he almost broke his neck on the landing.

Wow Didn't expect that, he better stay away from that jump then.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I'm still an idiot when it comes to the technical stuff, so forgive me for asking a possibly very stupid question :biggrin:
what makes a 4A more dangerous than other 4-jumps?
(to my untrained eye those jumps all look like you could break your neck doing them)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I have read that Yuzuru said that he wants to perform a program with at least three different types of quad jumps some day. Now he already has the quad toe down pat, needs to stabilize his quad sal, so I wonder what the third quad jump will be. Becki has mentioned the possibility of a quad lutz; and in the 2013 TEB, the British Eurosport female commentator noticed how Yuzuru's triple lutz even had a delay at the start of the rotation which means room for an extra revolution. I have also read that Yuzuru is thinking of a quad loop as he also wants to have the distinction of being the first to land that jump in competition.

Yuzuru's willingness to push the sport's technical boundaries is exciting for us his fans, but I share the concern that he should also take care of himself and not take unnecessary risks so he can have a long and fulfilling career. I hope Yuzuru's coaching team continues to carefully monitor his jumping. I think Brian Orser has done a good job reining him in (Brian described it as channelling Yuzuru's spirit and not crushing it) while allowing room for progress and making Yuzuru focus on other aspects of his skating to make him a well-rounded skater.

colourmeblue

Rinkside
Yuzuru's willingness to push the sport's technical boundaries is exciting for us his fans, but I share the concern that he should also take care of himself and not take unnecessary risks so he can have a long and fulfilling career. I hope Yuzuru's coaching team continues to carefully monitor his jumping. I think Brian Orser has done a good job reining him in (Brian described it as channelling Yuzuru's spirit and not crushing it) while allowing room for progress and making Yuzuru focus on other aspects of his skating to make him a well-rounded skater.

Agreed. I think that focusing on the "other aspects" of his skating would be much more beneficial to him at the present moment and in the long-run than, for example, a quad loop. But that's not to say that he hasn't been working and improving on those other aspects thus far. :)

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I'm still an idiot when it comes to the technical stuff, so forgive me for asking a possibly very stupid question :biggrin:
what makes a 4A more dangerous than other 4-jumps?
(to my untrained eye those jumps all look like you could break your neck doing them)

I'm not an expert too but from what I know the Axel is the most difficult and I guess the most dangerous of all the jumps because you have to rotate a half more, I mean in the 4A the skater must rotate 4 times and a half and with a forward take off. That is all I know xD

lbc2138

On the Ice

I also do appreciate the sentiment and share the same concern. I notice whenever he falls, he lands on his left hip. A lot. Hopefully he's doing some off-ice training in order to help perfect his quad before just going out there and jumping until he lands it. I think his way of going about jumps have definitely improved from the time he was with coach Nanami to Orser. It may not seem like it when it comes to competition but he doesn't fall as badly with Orser. Of course that could also just be attributed to his growth as a brilliant skater. It's kind of hard to pinpoint what's working exactly.