Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 190 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

HanDomi

Record Breaker
:cry: ABC*^(^*&%*&TRDV*(&*^*&%DHSFDH....!!!!!!! :cry:

You can see my title, costume is ALWAY important!!!!! :biggrin:

Classical music IS my division! I would love to see Yuzuru skate to Schubert's Winterreise song cylce, the 1st song is a masterpiece, a little bit gloomy, though: http://youtu.be/DLsaSm5iG9o?t=1m6s

If we need something more lively, then Petruska by Stravinsky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v4vonP1XAQ

Or this one, Schubert again, if he likes to skate to string instrument: http://youtu.be/rSjeHGysdpM

I would love to see a rock SP and a long classical music next season!!! Or the other way around, it's totally okay!!!

I think he needs music that builds momentum , something epic like R&J 1 , powerfull

BusyMom

Medalist
:cry: ABC*^(^*&%*&TRDV*(&*^*&%DHSFDH....!!!!!!! :cry:

You can see my title, costume is ALWAY important!!!!! :biggrin:
of course, costumes are one of the major factors which enhanced the memorable performances. But sadly some of our favourite skaters has different ideas on the great costumes.

PW might not as old as the classical but it was from the 70s. That was almost a decade or two more ancient than J-Rock. If you really look at PW dress, it is very much Yoshiki's sans the jewelry and heavy makeup.

mysticice

Rinkside
I'm interrested to see what Shae-Lynn Bourne can choreographe. I think she can do beautiful SPs. I especially like Kiira Korpi's Over the Rainbow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnU_j_ZA-tc
I don't think Bourne's LPs are as great but she might have new ideas. Just have to wait and see. I am optimistic. I definitely wouldn't mind if Hanyu skated to some rock.

mikaboo

Medalist
Well, I'm surprised that you would be interested in a Korean article. I found your takes on the English -> Korean -> Japanese translation not so bad so far. I happened to come here and saw your inquiry. Here is my version, just as a courtesy:

After a splendid amateur career, she took the path of a choreographer. She provided inspiration for movements of many skaters. She will work with Hanyu Yuzuru (20), men's singles gold medalist in Sochi, and Ashley Wagner (23), a well known representative of US women's Singles.

"In two months I will start choreography for long programs of Wagner and Hanyu Yuzuru; After this show, back in Canada, I will work with many skaters. And in July, I will handle choreography for Friends on Ice with Arakawa Shizuka (33, Japan, 2006 Torino Gold)."

How nice of you! Thank you very much for translating.

BusyMom

Medalist
I'm interrested to see what Shae-Lynn Bourne can choreographe. I think she can do beautiful SPs. I especially like Kiira Korpi's Over the Rainbow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnU_j_ZA-tc
I don't think Bourne's LPs are as great but she might have new ideas. Just have to wait and see. I am optimistic. I definitely wouldn't mind if Hanyu skated to some rock.
Kiira's Over the Rainbow was splendid. I love how she gave out different emotion in each competitions too.

jimeonji

Final Flight
I started freaking out when I saw that Shae-Lynn would be choreographing for Yuzu's long!! I was so worried that I'd have to sit through another season of David Wilson (I'd been quite pessimistic about Wilson....) but now maybe we could get something interesting. Even if the program isn't too great, it'll still be a change of style from Wilson and I think Yuzu could learn from that.

someone linked Dai's Mambo program - I LOVE THAT PROGRAM SO MUCH there's this video of FOI from that year of Shae-Lynn and Dai doing it side by side and it was the coolest thing ever. :biggrin:

airin

Rinkside
Yes, this is the reason I said JFS cover their top skaters training fees and pay them like salaryman. Because there would be no way Machida, or even Yuzuru or Daisuke's families would have enough money even just for a year to pay for all the fees.
Many skaters don't have sponsors, but they seems to manage quite alright, it seems their fed is helping as well. I am not surprised if that is the reason they have so many ice shows this summer.

As a fact, it's true that JSF subsidizes skaters to some extent( which is called "強化費"), but JSF does not officially disclose the amount or detailed usage.
Therefore we need to note that what is reported is merely "according to people familiar with the matter".

Given that, it's hard to show clear evidence or facts, but as a fan who has been living in Japan and who speak Japanese natively, regarding the financial matters I sometimes think there is some gap between thoughts of Japanese fans and that of overseas fans.
I haven't read everything that is going on GS(so many pages to read!) but I think many Japanese fans are not as optimistic as some posts I found here. Media make various speculations about income of skaters but I've never seen the one which says they are paid a lot from the federation. Some media reports the subsidy for the top skaters(特別強化選手) is about 2,400,000 yen/year (roughly 24,000US$). I'm not sure whether this is very accurate but I don't think this is very far from the reality.
http://www.google.co.jp/url?sa=t&rc...f6C3cmClPhTQFXPfF_F5e2A&bvm=bv.66111022,d.dGc

Many skaters don't have sponsors, but they seems to manage quite alright, it seems their fed is helping as well. I am not surprised if that is the reason they have so many ice shows this summer.

Though it might be easier for Japanese skaters to get sponsors compared to those in other countries, and although skaters themselves don't talk about these things, I think I have to say many Japanese fans are sometimes really worried about skaters who don't have sponsors.

On the bright side, since many Japanese skaters belongs to Kansai uni. or Chukyo uni., they can help skaters with rink fees which accounts considerable part of the cost that skaters need, as those universities have their own ice rinks.

In Yuzuru's case, ANA covers the costs he needs in skating. This contract is estimated to be about 30 million yen, and he has subsidy for JOC Symbol Athlete; 10-20 million yen. It wouldn't make him face with financial difficulty in his training, but considering the costs that figure skaters needs, it doesn't mean he's presently super rich.
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/07/02/kiji/K20130702006131680.html
Mao appears in a lot of CMs in winter, and it must bring her decent rewards (though reportedly amature skaters have to share those rewards with JSF) but it doesn't hold true for other skaters. Yuzuru's popularity after Sochi would allow him a lot of income if he will appear in many CMs form now on, but so far he is not on many advertisements, so cannot be compared to Mao.

Nomi

Rinkside
With everyone talking about program music and choreographers...I have a silly question :eek:: does the skater pick the music piece for the choreographer to build the program around, or do they discuss it together before and both agree on what music to use? I am a dancer and I always select the music first, but I don't know how it works in figure skating!

jimeonji

Final Flight
With everyone talking about program music and choreographers...I have a silly question :eek:: does the skater pick the music piece for the choreographer to build the program around, or do they discuss it together before and both agree on what music to use? I am a dancer and I always select the music first, but I don't know how it works in figure skating!

Both ways. Some skater talked about this before (I feel like it was Javi) - sometimes the skater will be bent on doing a piece of music, and they give it to the choreographer who will then put together a program; sometimes they'll have no idea so they'll ask the choreographer to pick for them; or sometimes they'll discuss it and agree on a piece of music. So it all depends on if they skater has an idea of what he/she wants to do~

giulia95

Medalist
Probably it's just me , but it seems a little bit akward the way the news about Shae-Lynn has come out...

Nomi

Rinkside
Thank you jimeonji...that makes most sense, that it depends on circumstance. Like with RJ2 hanyu strongly wanted to use this theme once more :)

also like you said jimeonji I think if it's true about shae-Lynn, she is a definite change of style and someone hanyu will be able to learn a lot from and grow in creativity as a skater. As it sounds like this is one of his goals this season, I think it could be a powerful match.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Probably it's just me , but it seems a little bit akward the way the news about Shae-Lynn has come out...

I don't know, I don't think it is any strange. I think they are simply not making any secrets about choreographer, so she only talked about her her upcoming plans when they asked her about that :biggrin:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Yuzuru is moving back to Japan?
No, Shae-Lynn Bourne is Canadian and it's likely that she will do his long program choreography next season after flying back to Canada.

As a fact, it's true that JSF subsidizes skaters to some extent( which is called "強化費"), but JSF does not officially disclose the amount or detailed usage.
Therefore we need to note that what is reported is merely "according to people familiar with the matter".

Given that, it's hard to show clear evidence or facts, but as a fan who has been living in Japan and who speak Japanese natively, regarding the financial matters I sometimes think there is some gap between thoughts of Japanese fans and that of overseas fans.
I haven't read everything that is going on GS(so many pages to read!) but I think many Japanese fans are not as optimistic as some posts I found here. Media make various speculations about income of skaters but I've never seen the one which says they are paid a lot from the federation. Some media reports the subsidy for the top skaters(特別強化選手) is about 2,400,000 yen/year (roughly 24,000US$). I'm not sure whether this is very accurate but I don't think this is very far from the reality.
http://www.google.co.jp/url?sa=t&rc...f6C3cmClPhTQFXPfF_F5e2A&bvm=bv.66111022,d.dGc
Though it might be easier for Japanese skaters to get sponsors compared to those in other countries, and although skaters themselves don't talk about these things, I think I have to say many Japanese fans are sometimes really worried about skaters who don't have sponsors.
On the bright side, since many Japanese skaters belongs to Kansai uni. or Chukyo uni., they can help skaters with rink fees which accounts considerable part of the cost that skaters need, as those universities have their own ice rinks.
In Yuzuru's case, ANA covers the costs he needs in skating. This contract is estimated to be about 30 million yen, and he has subsidy for JOC Symbol Athlete; 10-20 million yen. It wouldn't make him face with financial difficulty in his training, but considering the costs that figure skaters needs, it doesn't mean he's presently super rich.
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/07/02/kiji/K20130702006131680.html
Mao appears in a lot of CMs in winter, and it must bring her decent rewards (though reportedly amature skaters have to share those rewards with JSF) but it doesn't hold true for other skaters. Yuzuru's popularity after Sochi would allow him a lot of income if he will appear in many CMs form now on, but so far he is not on many advertisements, so cannot be compared to Mao.
Thank you very much. I also had this feeling that unlike Plushenko, other skaters are not millionaires like people frequently assume. It's good to know that currently Yuzuru doesn't have to worry about training fees. I hope he won't do many CMs as Mao if that affect his training times, though.

I don't know, I don't think it is any strange. I think they are simply not making any secrets about choreographer, so she only talked about her her upcoming plans when they asked her about that :biggrin:
Yes, it's not like she revealed the music Yuzuru will use next season anyways. And personally I don't think Yuzuru will mind because it's not such a sensitive problem like what happened with Yuna.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I didn't check the forum for a few days and there are so many new pages. :laugh:
I really hope Yuzu stays with Brian.

mikaboo

Medalist

David Wilson talks a little bit about this here. (Basically what jimeonji has already said)
Also, you can see Pasquale Camerlengo asking Kanako Murakami to choose from "Memory" and "Papa, Can You Hear Me." from 3:10. I'm so glad she chose the latter.

Nomi

Rinkside
Thank you for additional information Mikaboo:):) everyone here is so helpful even for silly questions, i much appreciate your responses!