Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

giulia95

Medalist
I used to adopt same program during two consecutive seasons and Patrick Chan (Canada) is doing the same thing now.'

Oh yes!!! he really used to do it ! No doubt Yuna skated to Danse Macabre SP in Vancouver and Javi will skate to Zorro SP in Sochi!!:laugh:

Mr. Orser has a great sense of humor! :laugh::biggrin:

airin

Rinkside
I tried to translate Sportiva article on 31 August 2013. (Sorry for my poor English:slink:)

http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/othersports/2013/08/31/post_248/
http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/othersports/2013/08/31/post_248/index2.php
http://sportiva.shueisha.co.jp/clm/othersports/2013/08/31/post_248/index3.php

<translation>
Yuzuru Hanyu aims for the stage of dream, what is his strategy for the Olympic season?

Yuzuru Hanyu, who aims at the medal at Sochi Olympics in 2014, held a public practice at the ice rink in Sendai, which was his home rink up to two years ago, on August 30.
Seeing almost 100 crew members of media, he showed a bitter smile. "I’m surprised since I didn’t expect it becomes large-scaled like this, so I wasn’t concentrated at first," But, he showed practice on the music of this season’s free programs (FP) “Romeo and Juliet” and the short program (SP) “Parisian walkways”, also practiced quad toeloop(4T) and quad salcow (4S).
"I came back temporally from Canada, but the camp will be starting in Canada soon, there are only these days (to hold a public practice) as timing. I’ll Return to Canada on September 3, after that, I participate Finlandia Trophy, Skate Canada, and Cup of France(Trophy Eric Bompard), it will be Grand Prix Final (Fukuoka, early December) when I come back to Japan next (if participating in GPF)." He says.
But he had some fatigue remained, since it was a temporary homecoming while practice in Canada was shifting into high gear. His movement itself slightly lacks sharpness, seemed struggling with some falls in 4S.
Still, he landed beautiful 4T. "The probability of 4T is improving year by year, now I’m coming to be able to land it without worming-up. But salcow is a jump with completely different edgework, it was quite tough today. I worked hard (on 4S) just like when I was struggling with 4T at this rink years ago, so I felt some nostalgic feeling. In past days, I used to work only on 4T for more than an hour, I enjoyed working recalling those days."
Hanyu talks Sochi Olympics as "one of the culmination from his childhood when he dreamed of the Olympics". Although it‘s the first challenge to Olympics for him, it has been his dream to get the gold medal in the Olympics since he was little.

Hanyu moved to senior level in the following season of Vancouver Olympics ( 2010-2011 season) and challenged Grand Prix Series competitions(for the first time). He won the silver medal at the Four Continents Championship in 2011. After that, he won the bronze medal in the World Championship in March 2012, and winning the National Championship for the first time December 2012, he has built up results steadily.
For this important season, he chose “Romeo and Juliet", the same themed music as the free program two seasons ago, for the music of FS. The music he performed previously was composed by Craig Armstrong, but the music he uses this season is by Nino Rota.
"Romeo and Juliet is the music that I wanted to try since I was little, and also it’s the music which I performed in the season after the earthquake, moving about all over the country in many ice shows, so the program two years ago is something special for me. The melody is different this time, so the program will have different atmosphere. Throughout the season, I want to perform the best “Romeo and Juliet” which cannot be done other than now."
Hanyu transposed the last season’s order of 4T and 4S, made the layout putting 4S first and 4T second. He thought "The easiest layout for me is 4S, 4T", because last season he landed 4T well but hardly landed 4S, and he had decided to change it. He had made the decision after the Four Continents Championship in February, but because of knee injury and flu, he couldn’t execute that decision in the World Championship in March.
"I come to have more elbowroom from 4T, I can put more focus on Salcow in practice …So I didn’t think of twice 4T and putting the salcow out. Also as for the score, if I execute 4S, it will be possible to put 3T in the second half, putting 3T in the combination jump from 3A, and I can also put 3S (in the layout). There are many skaters who execute 2 quads (in FS) but few skaters have 4S, and I have 4S, so I’ll make use of that competitive advantage."
"In my case, I don’t think I can get the better of Patrick (Chan) and Daisuke Takahashi in PCS…so, I’m going to calculate the expected score methodically, and I think I need to execute the jumps with good quality. I’m willing to polish my expression, but I think landing the jumps solidly is (what is important about) my skating."
This year, he trained to build up the trunk of the upper body, and his body is getting slightly bigger. His training seems to be well-working, but he knows the severity to win the spot for the Olympics.

"If I acquire the ability to win the Japan Nationals, I think I naturally get a good result at Olympics. To that end, I want to make good results in GPS, which is one of the criteria of the selection(to Olympics), and I want to bring myself in the Japanese National Championship with some leeway in my mind. I think it is important to perform with my all might throughout every competition. Watching the video of Takahashi’s public practice and Kozuka’s performance in ice shows, I have an impression that they are getting ready for the competition earlier (than usual). As I’ve not made myself in the top shape yet, so I need to work more and more. What I think are necessary in the competitions are fighting spirit and timing, luck will be also involved. To heighten the luck more, and to make it even a part of my own ability, I’ll practice as best I can."

On the other hand as for the SP, he was going to change the music at first, but as a result of pondering over decision considering a lot of things, after all he decided to use "Parisian walkways" the same music as last season. This is the program which he has succeeded in setting 95-points of world records twice. There is also an aim to enhance the level of the program from last year in order to aim even higher score, but also at the same time, "There is a large advantage of being able to focus more on completeness of the FS by having leeway in the SP" he said.
As for the SP, despite performing with high completeness in the first half in the last season, "It was very frustrating to have fallen into a slump in the World Championship because of injury" Hanyu says. That's why he skated in this year's ice shows thinking "that program is not really finished yet".
"I didn’t attempt quads at that time (in the DOI shows), but I was really conscious of being watched by the audience in that program. In practice, it helps me to be able to soften the expression while focusing on the jumps at the same time"
This season, he seems to be able to show the fruitage of polishing his SP by not changing the music, it would be one of the important points that how he can archive high completeness in the "Romeo and Juliet" FS. We’ve come to look forward to see the evolution of Yuzuru Hanyu in the Olympic season.

Paola D

Rinkside
Yes indeed. Yuzu is so lucky to have such great fans who do hard work for him. :clap: I wonder if he is aware of that. I got IFS magazine and read Orser advises Yuzu not to read what is written about him on the Internet. So, maybe he isn't?

Javi is sweet. :)

http://instagram.com/p/euj1AbDi9S/#

yude

Record Breaker
Thank you very much, Paola D :)

Go Yuzuru!! I wish you good luck all through the season!!

Maxi

Rinkside
Yuzu, I wish you a healthy season and the best of luck! I hope you have a FP costume to match the shiniest medal of all!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
that rippon 2t immediately after counter 3A suits that music phrase perfectly, 3A powerful right on the strong note, rippon 2t so soft accompany the rest of music phrasing. I love the choreography of the soft music part very much, in which Yuzu exhibited his amazing musicality. And of course, that beautiful ina bauer at crescendo! its gonna be a great LP. so look forward to its debut at finlandia.:love:
Also, i noticed Yuzu's jump landings here have very smooth, soft ride out.

ser22

On the Ice
that rippon 2t immediately after counter 3A suits that music phrase perfectly, 3A powerful right on the strong note, rippon 2t so soft accompany the rest of music phrasing. I love the choreography of the soft music part very much, in which Yuzu exhibited his amazing musicality. And of course, that beautiful ina bauer at crescendo! its gonna be a great LP. so look forward to its debut at finlandia.:love:
Also, i noticed Yuzu's jump landings here have very smooth, soft ride out.
:agree:

lcd

Match Penalty
Remarkable that he is able to maintain his flexibility. Have been wondering how long he could keep it up as he matured.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
just watched Yuzu's SP in finlandia, instantly put a smile on my face. Oh my Yuzu! you are really a grown-up "sexy" man now (that little extra choreography, you know what I mean, nose bleeding ). Keep up with you Long!:yay:

yude

Record Breaker
just watched Yuzu's SP in finlandia, instantly put a smile on my face. Oh my Yuzu! you are really a grown-up "sexy" man now (that little extra choreography, you know what I mean, nose bleeding ). Keep up with you Long!:yay:

:laugh::thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBZ6Y8SOHAU&feature=youtu.be

Yuzuru was cheering for Kento Nakamura after his performance :) The flower-girls were so cute and David Wilson's hands were full of Pooh lol.