Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

lakeside

On the Ice
I have been busy recently and haven’t got time to come to GS. Seems like a lot has happened in this thread in last few days and I missed something. Anyway, it’s good that more people start to post more often here. I’m sure we’ll make this a very constructive Yay thread through our collective effort. :yay:

Also, I’m not too worried about Yuzru’s bad skate at JSC. Maybe he just had a bad day or something. It happens to all skaters. Plus, I’m surprised to see him trying quad and 3A from footwork in a show. Was he the only one who tried that at this show? I don’t get Japanese TV so only watched what was available on youtube. I only found Yuzru and Takahashi’s skates. Takahashi went for 3F, 3A, and 3Lz – a layout that would be considered difficult for shows. But Yuzru pushed himself harder and went for 4T, second-half 3A from footwork, and 3Lz3T. He made mistakes, but we rarely see someone going for such difficult jumps at shows though.

For his program, I love his SP this season and the " hello I love you" Ex number. It'd be good if they are polishing the FS, but the technical elements he is doing for the FS is totally level-up, so I wouldn't mind too much if the FS is not as appealing as last season, remember the last time he did a level-up of his FS? That's the LP for season 2010-2011, which is no near as good as the Romeo LP as well.
ITA. I like Yuzru’s SP and both “Hello, I Love You” and the Japanese EX programs. These are very different styles and he demonstrates a great versatility at this young age. Kudos to him. The LP is not that bad either. I like how he performed it at the GPF. Maybe Yuzru fans are spoiled by his R&J program last season that they have higher expection of Yuzru. But seriously many other skaters have worse programs. Yuzru’s LP at least has many difficult transitions, unlike some empty programs where you do a bunch of crossovers and take long time to prepare for your difficult jumps.

I remember how some people criticized Patrick’s programs choreographed by Lori. The critics also said that Patrick’s programs had no passion, no emotion, etc., but they did not see that the programs were much more difficult than everyone else because of challenging jump layout and busy transitions. Nowadays Patrick and Yuzru have most difficult programs in terms of transitions. I give Yuzru kudos for skating difficult programs and pulling off different styles at this young age.

Muscle Memory

Rinkside
Lakeside: "The LP is not that bad either. I like how he performed it at the GPF. Maybe Yuzru fans are spoiled by his R&J program last season that they have higher expection of Yuzru. But seriously many other skaters have worse programs. Yuzru’s LP at least has many difficult transitions, unlike some empty programs where you do a bunch of crossovers and take long time to prepare for your difficult jumps."

I also enjoyed his LP at the GPF, especially that face with closed eyes and sigh right after the program. As Kurt commented, the program should be a great "stepping stone" for him in his career. Just hope he learns something from it in every way.

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
I'm not the biggest fan of his 'Hello I Love You' EX this season, but the teen stripper references are :unsure:- his Vertigo program was in the same vein as this one, and he was even younger than he is now. Also, he's 18, not 8 you guys. Plushenko did 'Sex Bomb' at about this age, for goodness' sake.

Actually in my opinion, he is much much more sexier in vertigo than hello I love you:biggrin:

I'm worry about his jump, but he had a lot of falls in shows and be in good form in competition before, so may be I'm over worrying.

Btw, Javier is so nice, classy guys.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Is it the choreography or the music choice that effects the impact of his FS?

I think both and he doesn't seem to be emotionally invested in the program either. He once said in an interview that if he can't relate to the music, he can't portray it well. And as such, we got a FS which is rather devoid of the dramatic awesomeness we saw last season and very calculated, as opposed to his SP which he seems to have actually bothered and taken the initiative to tweak around. Buttle even said that Yuzu was actively involved in the creative process and I can tell that he really enjoys performing every bit of it. And it could also be that he just hasn't shown anything he could do with his FS or as you've said, they're just having him get used to the new tech content. But as some people have pointed out, we've got to admire him for trying difficult jump elements that were preceded by difficult transitions.
On a bright side, I read somewhere that David Wilson is rearranging his program, so hopefully we get to see a levelled-up FS in the upcoming 4CC. ;)

I like Yuzru’s SP and both “Hello, I Love You” and the Japanese EX programs. These are very different styles and he demonstrates a great versatility at this young age. Kudos to him.

ITA. :)

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I think he's improved on his lines/posture, skating skills... though there's still a lot to work on. His 4T has become more consistent than ever before.
4T looks more consistent. But who can know if Yuzu wouldn't have the same result under Abe. I also wish Orser would teach him how to fall. That fall on 3A looks scary. In DOI at the similar fall people thought he would dislocate his shoulder, so awful the fall was. Falls happen, and to do it in a secure way for tha body trying to escape the inury as much as possible, should be in the lesson plan. But I disagree with you about lines/posture. Those are actually became way more terrible, round-shouldered and less attractive. It's seen in spins, in steps, in jump exits, basically- everywhere. Just to compare, here is his sitspin in R&J: www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFECk7AFMRo&t=5m17s and here in the current FP: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHXt4d6itcY&t=5m12s Is it better? Really? How about the exit from 3A here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYkGYMYW69c&t=2m24s and this young-eagle-like: www.youtube.com/watch?v=wICH1Jpsq8M&t=0m06s Pardon but I find it much more appealing. It's not about what Yuzu didn't gain in Canada, it's also about what he lost there. I am sure when the result will be more positive, then more positive comments will come from public.

Takahashi went for 3F, 3A, and 3Lz – a layout that would be considered difficult for shows. But Yuzru pushed himself harder and went for 4T, second-half 3A from footwork, and 3Lz3T. He made mistakes, but we rarely see someone going for such difficult jumps at shows though.
Then maybe you should watch shows more often, or read reports from those who do, either on GS or twitter or any other source you like. Dai did 4T at SOI as well, he normally goes for it in shows, either PIW or FrOI, in summer PIW he tried 4L multiple times. Kozuka- same: challenged 4T in all shows that I saw (PIW, THE ICE). The same about Mura (DOI, THE ICE). All top J-skaters who have quad challenge it in shows. So, it's not rare.
Before you no one here was speaking about Yuzu's rivals, making "comparison" of what poor skaters they are in Yuzu's light. Simply because it's not related to the skater/team. As well as it doesn't work well for his PR image. We don't do it in Plu Fan Fest thread, or Dai's or Mao's or Akiko's, etc. I am aware of the fact that in Chan thread they occasionally used to speak in disparaging form about Jeremy and Dai. It's their fandom, if they want to do that, so let them. Yuzu is the representative of a different personality and another culture where such attitude to rivals is not welcome. So try to make more efforts in understanding that.

Elsa G

Rinkside
I want to see more people have something nice to say about yuzu's team,his program,his improvement and his winning result without been picking on words by words constantly.
No particularly reason,it's just cheer me up!
I want to see more "bravo yuzu" rather than "poor yuzu"!
Let's have a civilized conversation and cheerful thread for 4CC!
I want to see hanyu breaking his PB in Osaka!

jjane45

On the Ice
Oh, bleep. More work for the poor moderators. And just when I was about to settle in for the Super Bowl.

The fan fest folder is for fans to say things like Yay, Hooray, :love: -- that sort of thing. If you have "constructive criticism" to offer, start a new thread in the Edge if you simply must. (And if you have only unconstructive criticism -- don't. ;) )

Thanks Mathman!

sweet_Michelle

Rinkside
I want to see more people have something nice to say about yuzu's team,his program,his improvement and his winning result without been picking on words by words constantly.
No particularly reason,it's just cheer me up!
I want to see more "bravo yuzu" rather than "poor yuzu"!

:thumbsup: Reminds me again how it was written on Forum index page "Please keep posts positive" for Fan Fests features threads.

Let's have a civilized conversation and cheerful thread for 4CC!
I want to see hanyu breaking his PB in Osaka!
:agree:Yes, looking forward to seeing Yuzu in 4CC!

And new "Number" article about Yuzu and other skaters for 4CC:
http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/338620
Basically a summary for the result of GP series, JN and EC, then analysis of the situation going on for 4CC with positive comment on Team Japan.

Last edited:

ser22

On the Ice
I'm really rooting for yuzu. I think that there will be a very nice performance.

I'm Konstancia...

TeddyBear

Spectator
Ser22 introduced me to skating (to be correct, to enjoy watching skating XD), and she showed me lots of videos from different talented skaters. All of them are gorgeous, but here we're talking about Yuzu! :D I think maybe what made me to "fall in love" with him is the temperament of his skating. He's really fast and energetic. His style is amazingly vigorous! He almost makes the spectator believe that skating is actually ridiculously easy, if you know what I mean... o_O And when he occasionally falls only then you realize that he also needs that effort every other skater does. I find it beautiful that (seemingly) how easily he can perform those jumps.

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
Do you? Yeah, especially his reaction at 4:09. Oh, people..
www.youtube.com/watch?v=61QKsyTGo0Y

I knew you would say that! Thank you for the link anyway.

Oh, bleep. More work for the poor moderators. And just when I was about to settle in for the Super Bowl.

The fan fest folder is for fans to say things like Yay, Hooray, :love: -- that sort of thing. If you have "constructive criticism" to offer, start a new thread in the Edge if you simply must. (And if you have only unconstructive criticism -- don't. ;) )

Thank you very much, Mathman.

And gotta love the infectious smile he gave after he got up from that fall on the 3A. :love:

How he fell was scary, but...Yes:love:

Thank you for the translation of Javier's comments! Yuzuru and Javier's episodes or pictures always warm my heart.

Last edited:

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Wow, this thread grew by about 5 pages since I last posted; welcome to the newcomers and thanks sampaguita & Kalina for translations!

I was rewatching old performances, and it occurred to me that Yuzuru should bring back 'Somebody to Love' for his EX at Worlds :laugh:. London, Ontario is close to Justin Bieber's hometown, it'd be hilarious!

let`s talk

Match Penalty

"The only, if I can say that, difficulty that I have to deal with is sometimes Yuzu asks me to let him go home for a short stay. Education is very important for Yuzuru, he entered one of the best University in Japan. But he will have to learn how to deal with his study issue from Toronto."

Lol at uncle Orser :laugh:. For a short stay is like what? Six weeks between NHK and SOI? What does his university have to do with that? He maybe thinks we don't know that Yuzu was taking his uni entrance exams by skype during GPF in Sochi. At the modern age you don't have to be always "physically" present to take exams. No, if someone wants to go home it means he wants to go home. And that is all.

Thanks for the link, btw. That was entertaining reading. :eek:

ser22

On the Ice
"The only, if I can say that, difficulty that I have to deal with is sometimes Yuzu asks me to let him go home for a short stay. Education is very important for Yuzuru, he entered one of the best University in Japan. But he will have to learn how to deal with his study issue from Toronto."

Lol at uncle Orser :laugh:. For a short stay is like what? Six weeks between NHK and SOI? What does his university have to do with that? He maybe thinks we don't know that Yuzu was taking his uni entrance exams by skype during GPF in Sochi. At the modern age you don't have to be always "physically" present to take exams. No, if someone wants to go home it means he wants to go home. And that is all.

Thanks for the link, btw. That was entertaining reading. :eek:

I knew it was going to criticize anyway.:agree:

I do not understand why you're here. I really do not.:slink:
This was the last post I switched to you. Sorry.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Constructive criticism is allowed on GS. The rules on Fan Fest threads are the same as elsewhere on the board. However, a better place to discuss coaches is in a specific thread for the coach, or in a thread in The Edge.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It does indeed.

What are everyone's favorite moments in Yuzu's programs? I particularly like his counter into his triple axel- in the SP - just amazing :) :love:

ser22

On the Ice
It does indeed.

What are everyone's favorite moments in Yuzu's programs? I particularly like his counter into his triple axel- in the SP - just amazing :) :love:

I love everything in it. But best of the spins and the Quad Toe ... How wonderful! And of course, the musical interpretation.

jjane45

On the Ice
I lurve the sideways lunge in SP. Will admit even attempted it a few times on ice (with no success), requires so much strength on the dragging leg!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That is a nice moment! I like the SP better than the LP, though. The rumor that Davis & White are going to help Yuzu with his Notre Dame de Pair cuts is interesting. It is sure that Charlie White's hobby is cutting music, one that he has had for some time, (several years ago he put this on his icenetwork bio), and he has obviously got the music from ND, because he got the bells cut into D&W's FD very quickly.

I wonder whether this rumor is true?