Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 38 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

ayarose

On the Ice
Welcome back ! :D very interesting your info about asthma thanks ^^

Welcome, it's something I'm quite familiar with. In fact this weekend I woke up in the middle of the night because of it. The typhoon cut out our electricity supply and it was hot so I had an attack. I wasn't able to sleep gauging if my inhalers were enough to control it since I got off my inhaled steroids last Feb or go to the ER. Yuzu's condition was interesting to me so I looked up how Japan managed their asthma in children compared to our practice but I end up being confused.:scratch:

ayarose

On the Ice
Yes how? I'm also curious ><

I'm going to make this as simple as possible since there are a lot of technical terms we are using. Base on this translation, Yuzu has maintenance medication pills taken 2x a day and a probable rescue inhaler with symptoms and limitation or interference in daily activities.

Here in the Philippines and in most parts of the world, asthma is managed using what we call the Global Initiative for Asthma or GINA protocol. If you are interested you can download the protocol here. If you do, please take a look at page 64 & 65 of the pdf file. For me the important part in management would be to assess the level of control first after doing history and physical examinations. Now using page 64 and basing on the translated article of Yuzu, I'll put him in the partly controlled category at his best level of control since the data is not enough for me to conclude. Uncontrolled if we were to consider his first season in Canada.

Now considering he is a skater I would probably start with Step 3 (low dosed inhaled corticosteroid with long acting B2 stimulant) since I often start conservatively and then observe for 1 week. But it's likely that basing on his occupation and personality I'll probably shift to step 4 (medium to high dose inhaled steroid with long acting B2 stimulant + leukotriene OR theophylline) or 5 (Step 4 + oral steroid OR anti - IgE ). This is how I will manage present Yuzu btw IF I'll get him as a patient NOW (okay, so I only have 4 months before he turns past my specialty:biggrin:), although that protocol applies to above 5 years old so we never know.

Looking at the 2010 Japanese protocol (there could be an update on this but I'm not so sure), Yuzu's control is probably mild persistent to moderate persistent (page 155). Basing on page 162 he is either step 2 or 3 at the on step but again, if it was me I'll put him on step 3 due to skating then observe if I have to step up. Step 3 means low dosed inhaled steroid with or without Leukotriene receptor antagonist OR long acting B2 stimulant OR theophylline or Inhaled disodium cromoglycate (which I think is obsolete).

Now, I'm just deducing that the 2x a day pill is a sustained released theophylline or the oral form of a long acting B2 stimulant because the leukotriene receptor antagonist is taken once a day (I personally used a combined Montelukast + Levocetirizine but my pulmonologist had me shifted to inhaled steroid since I did not improved with conservative management). So Yuzu is probably step 3 or a 4 at worse BUT the translated article did not mention if he is using his inhaler for control OR rescue (in my understanding it's only rescue since he only "carries" it around). If the Japanese guideline is followed and he is on Step 3 then he should be under inhaled steroid with or without B2 stimulant or leukotriene or theophylline or DSCG with rescue meds for exacerbations or what they termed as seizure until that is controlled. Treatment steps down a lower level once that is controlled until only rescue meds are needed. Rescue med of choice is inhaled beta 2 stimulant inhalers like salbutamol since it acts fast that is why I carry them around unless I'm within reach of my nebulizer.

Maybe I'm not looking at it objectively and missed something but if he is gaining control of his asthma and I'm his pedia I'll remove the additional meds first and stick with the ICS until I can wean him off it. I'm not though and basing from my cousins medical record books as well as a junior's experienced who went to observed for a month in Nagoya, Japanese medical management is a bit different from the general consensus. She said they stick to their books although some are now reading Western books for different opinions. A bit OOT but as an example, they had a premature baby delivered about 32 wks in age and they did cranial ultrasonography and echocardiography first before they inserted an intravenous line and established temperature control. In most practice, sugar and temperature is first stabilized before we do procedures.

Rinkside
@ayarose wow! Are you a doctor now?? You really know how to read those files so well! But I really wonder how the patches (the okibari) that he uses work... They seem to have increased the amount on him. There are a lot more on his hands/neck area etc. You can see them whenever the camera zooms in.

echotpe

On the Ice

princessomega

Rinkside
I hope that Yuzu can really take some time to relax a little bit. It seems like he has been going non stop all year.
I am eager to hear what he will have planned for his FS music and program and costume too. I hope its something very upbeat and maybe a bit dramatic. He can show his sexy rock side. :eek::

annca

On the Ice
【news】Yuzu's first album "Time of Awakening" broke the sales record in sport category! :clap:

Oricon today released the latest sales ranking. "Time of Awakening" totally sold out 43,472 copies in first week, including DVD with 20,947 and blu-ray with 22,525.

The result also broke the sales record in sport category that '09 World Baseball Classic TM with 23 thousands copies since 2009.

Oricon ranking: see 羽生結弦

what a good news! thanks :yay: :yay:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Wow ayarose! Thanks for the long explanation. I had no idea about that matter so it was very informative :clap: so you have asthma and you also treat kids with asthma?
【news】Yuzu's first album "Time of Awakening" broke the sales record in sport category! :clap:

Oricon today released the latest sales ranking. "Time of Awakening" totally sold out 43,472 copies in first week, including DVD with 20,947 and blu-ray with 22,525.

The result also broke the sales record in sport category that '09 World Baseball Classic TM with 23 thousands copies since 2009.

Wow great news ! Thanks ^^

ayarose

On the Ice
@ayarose wow! Are you a doctor now?? You really know how to read those files so well! But I really wonder how the patches (the okibari) that he uses work... They seem to have increased the amount on him. There are a lot more on his hands/neck area etc. You can see them whenever the camera zooms in.

Yes I am, has been for the past 8 years although I'm still new in practice since I only finished my specialty 4 years ago. I'm not quite familiar about the acupuncture patches though since it's more of an alternative medicine field. From what I remember of med school lectures, acupuncture is based on the belief that our body functions through the proper flow of energy from within to the surface. It theorizes that we have an "energy circuit" within us and if it's block that causes disturbances in our bodily functions thus creating problems for our body. This energy flows in and out of our body through channels which they call the meridian and acupuncture points are found along these channels although not completely exclusive. Each part of our body/organ has a corresponding acupuncture points and this is where the needles are inserted to remove the blockage and allow a continuous flow of energy.

Reading their product description, the patches Yuzu are using seems to be made up of thinner and shorter needles because the one inserted on me was about 10x longer. It's also a single use thing making me wonder how often he changes them since adhesives often last around 48-72 hours. He must have boxes of those around. :biggrin:

ayarose

On the Ice
Wow ayarose! Thanks for the long explanation. I had no idea about that matter so it was very informative :clap: so you have asthma and you also treat kids with asthma?

LOL, you were able to read all of that boring stuff? I do have asthma but mine is the cough variant type (I don't wheeze just coughing and difficulty breathing) and it was just diagnosed this year. I should have believed my senior when he told me 4 years ago I appear to have one after suffering coughing episodes in his stuff toy filled clinic while endorsing a patient (makes me admire Mama Hanyu more because she needs to make sure all those stuff toys Yuzu receives are cleaned regularly).

I'm a pediatrician so I deal with all kids not only those with asthma, kids at heart are also welcomed with open arms :laugh:

Yuzusan

On the Ice

And conerning Hana wa saku, no cd or mp3 available ?

smasma

On the Ice

For those of us which doesn't have a Japanese credit card, Japanese gift card and Japanese address, it is impossible for us to make the purchase. I really wish I can buy this song. :cry: