Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 200 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link and that picture of Yuzuru with Pooh´s head is gonna bring me nightmare... he seems to have a very sarcastic sense of humor isn´t he?

My sentimental "pick" for him, Kanako, barely qualifies then; she's just a month older.
Kanako was my first choice too, but I wont complait about Mao, but it would have been weir if he have choose Akiko (10 years appart is too much)

EDIT.

Shibsibs extracted the Yuzutwist part of the video from the blog for those fans on countries that coulnd´t see it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt6nvxdddPE

giulia95

Medalist
Thanks for the link and that picture of Yuzuru with Pooh´s head is gonna bring me nightmare... he seems to have a very sarcastic sense of humor isn´t he?
[/url]

disarmingly self-ironizing Yuzu!!!!:laugh:

He is a creative and totally free spirit ( with a fantastic rebel trait included) !! :cool:

mikaboo

Medalist

I was hoping someone would pick up on the scariness of it! According to the tweets, he didn't mind putting Pooh's head on, but he refused a request to do this. He said it traumatized him. :eek:

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I was hoping someone would pick up on the scariness of it! According to the tweets, he didn't mind putting Pooh's head on, but he refused a request to do this. He said it traumatized him. :eek:

Eh? But as Pamina had earlier found, Yuzuru did a similar pose with cross eyes to boot (http://pic.prepics-cdn.com/loveyuzuru127/33091300.jpeg)! But maybe having to do it again in deference to his senpai Nobunari was the final straw ;).

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I was hoping someone would pick up on the scariness of it! According to the tweets, he didn't mind putting Pooh's head on, but he refused a request to do this. He said it traumatized him.
yeah, that's not totally weird at aaaaall :laugh: (and I say that with all the love in my heart because I love the odd ones the most)

Eh? But as Pamina had earlier found, Yuzuru did a similar pose with cross eyes to boot (http://pic.prepics-cdn.com/loveyuzuru127/33091300.jpeg)! But maybe having to do it again in deference to his senpai Nobunari was the final straw ;).
to be fair, we all have probably done things when we were younger that we sure as hell wouldn't repeat today :laugh: (and at his age things are very often 'so last year' and you as a person sometimes change at a pretty high speed)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
yeah, that's not totally weird at aaaaall :laugh: (and I say that with all the love in my heart because I love the odd ones the most)

to be fair, we all have probably done things when we were younger that we sure as hell wouldn't repeat today :laugh: (and at his age things are very often 'so last year' and you as a person sometimes change at a pretty high speed)

Ah yes.:) On a serious note, I hope Yuzuru won't change that much and remain true to his joyful, childlike spirit even if, as Kurt Browning has said at the end of Yuzuru's Worlds gala performance (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23370691): " Well, whether you want it or not, when you become a champion, a certain level of expectation comes with it. This young man will lead our sport with honor, dignity, and humility." He is still 19 after all. Gravitas can come later.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Ah yes.:) On a serious note, I hope Yuzuru won't change that much and remain true to his joyful, childlike spirit even if, as Kurt Browning has said at the end of Yuzuru's Worlds gala performance (http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23370691): " Well, whether you want it or not, when you become a champion, a certain level of expectation comes with it. This young man will lead our sport with honor, dignity, and humility." He is still 19 after all. Gravitas can come later.
I realize that "change" might have been the wrong choice of words because - I agree completely - I also hope that he doesn't change who he is, despite all the serious expectations he's now facing. But with all the sacrifices he already had to make, I really hope that he won't feel the need to give up who he is because, after all, that is very much a part of why many people love him. But he's also at an age where you simply grow up and become an adult. It's a process and not one step that you take. So there might very well be things he leaves behind because he himself chooses to do so because he has outgrown them. (but I selfishly admit that I pray to God that Pooh won't be one of those things :laugh:)

littlexflower

Rinkside
Yuzuru Hanyu, Japan, Four Continents Silver Medalist

Dave: Yeah, and I think looking next at Yuzuru Hanyu, the silver medalist here. He has been such an emerging star for two, three, four years now since he won the junior world title. But we’ve seen Hanyu all season. He has these goods, he has beautiful jumps, great knees – some of the best knees in skating to pull out some of these landing. But there’s – at times it looked like perhaps a lack of stamina, but it looks to be like a lack of focus. You know, he switched coaches, and it almost looks like the pieces are not – they’re almost there, but they’re not all there, and it’s just the mind – and he’s now competing for gold. He wasn’t competing for gold before. And it seems like there are some problems. I know that Ilia Kulik had problems like this the 1997 season. They were growing pains, he got over them for the Olympic year, he obviously had a wonderful season that year. And I think with someone like Hanyu, I see similarities between them. One thing I will say about Hanyu is that he’s got this great flexibility, and I don’t know if his feet are really big compared to the rest of his body, he’s so slender – but I don’t know. There are certain different – not everyone wears the same brand of skates. And his skates look really boxy and really big and it cuts off his line. He almost looks like he has these club feet when he’s on the ice. It could be his brand of skate where it looks really square. And it’s cutting – it’s killing his line because he always has these club feet and nothing ever looks finished off. Earlier in the season, his coach said
that he needs to work on pointing his feet, pointing those toes. I think he does need to do that, obviously, because even when he does a great Biellmann spin with great flexibility, the line is not there. It’s like sloppy, and he might need to change the skates.

Jenny: One of the things that I found really interesting in the short program – he popped his combination, he popped his triple lutz-triple toe – but it didn’t affect the flow of the program. We talked about during our nationals recap show that sometimes the program components – they don’t reflect if they have a pop or a mistake in a short program, it does affect the flow of the program. And didn’t see so much of that in the short program, which was really a positive and is difficult for skaters to do. Conversely, though, in the long program, he popped that lutz again, and this time it did affect the excitement and the energy. It seems like his long
program – he loses that wind and the momentum toward the end. There isn’t that fire and that passion. So I think for him – he has the talent. He obviously has the quads, he has the technique, it’s just about focus and really taking himself seriously to the next level particularly as we head into the Olympic season.

Dave: Yeah, he seems to really enjoy skating his short program. It really comes across – Jeff Buttle choreographed it. It looks like he really loves it – it’s a little bit different. And it looks like it’s a program he believes in. The long is a bit more generic for a long program. Notre Dame de Paris – can be great music. It looks a little Johnny Weir, but not in the same – Johnny had the polish that Hanyu almost has but doesn’t have. And it just doesn’t seem like he really believes in the long as much – I think hneeds two really special programs next year if he wants that Olympic gold medal. For him, his keys to success going into worlds:
• Focus
All the way through both programs. We know he can do that lutz. We know he can do it, he can’t pop it,
he can’t be making these errors. He has three jumping passes in the short, eight to get through in the
long. He can’t be falling on spins. We’ve seen every mistake under the book from him this season
despite usually being on the medal podium.
• Two clean programs
• Time at the top
There’s time in skating. Now he’s competing for gold, I think he needs to get used to that in the men’s
field, it’s usually a big jump. These men usually don’t rise as quickly as the ladies, and for him, he just
needs a little bit more time.
• Polish

I don't know if any of you guys has read this piece before but I've just came across of it and find it very informative and interesting! Two people discussing here are Jenny Kirk and Dave Lease, US former skaters. They examine and give comments on top skaters in 4CC event, including our Yuzu.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^ Yes, we can see definitely see signs of his growing maturity in the way he has handled all the pressures of the Olympic season rebounding from relatively poor performances in his first two competitions, and also in how he has dealt with the ensuing attention after winning in the Olympics. I remember an interview some time ago where Akiko compared Yuzuru to an egg in the sense of not knowing yet how he will turn out as a skater. I look forward to seeing how he further develops both as a skater and as a person. :)

annca

On the Ice
so i was browsing through the yuzu thread and found this comment way back 2012..

I find it adorable how Takahashi said even tho Yuzuru looks cute and boyish, yet his personality is very manly and "carnivorous" xD I read somewhere that if Oda and Yuzuru were to do pairs, Yuzuru would only want to play the guy in the pair.

so dai actually refers yuzu as 'carnivorous' eversince 2012 :)

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
so i was browsing through the yuzu thread and found this comment way back 2012..

Originally Posted by Becki
I find it adorable how Takahashi said even tho Yuzuru looks cute and boyish, yet his personality is very manly and "carnivorous" xD I read somewhere that if Oda and Yuzuru were to do pairs, Yuzuru would only want to play the guy in the pair.

so dai actually refers yuzu as 'carnivorous' eversince 2012 :)
I actuallywonder why would he do pairs with Oda and not with Machida and DAI? :confused: Machida is the smallest on of all the men in TJ (internet saids he weights 2 pounds less than Yuzu, even when Yuzu is 11 cm taller)

He didn´t seem to have a problem with being lifted by Kihara, maybe because he is actually taller than him? Actually Yuzu looks the same size as Kihara in the video

Meoima

Match Penalty
I actuallywonder why would he do pairs with Oda and not with Machida and DAI? :confused: Machida is the smallest on of all the men in TJ (internet saids he weights 2 pounds less than Yuzu, even when Yuzu is 11 cm taller)
He didn´t seem to have a problem with being lifted by Kihara, maybe because he is actually taller than him? Actually Yuzu looks the same size as Kihara in the video
Do you think the always-serious Tatsuki would let Yuzuru the kiddo lift him up? :rofl::rofl: As for Dai I think he would be afraid for his life! After all, Yuzuru is just 53kg!!

Kalina

On the Ice
I actuallywonder why would he do pairs with Oda and not with Machida and DAI? :confused:

Becki merely reported a comment made by fans who witnessed Yuzuru trying to throw jump Oda during a gala rehearsal. Not sure if she is/was aware of this or not, she might have read it second-hand somewhere else.

skatefan22

Medalist
if Oda and Yuzuru were to do pairs, Yuzuru would only want to play the guy in the pair.

I guess that depends on the partner (regarding playing the girl or guy in the pair). He doesn't have problem with throwing himself into the arms of Nan Song; sitting on laps of Jeremy Abbott; or getting lifted by Kihara. Maybe good-looking guys get a pass?:think:

annca

On the Ice
I guess that depends on the partner. He doesn't have problem with throwing himself into the arms of Nan Song or sitting on laps of Jeremy Abbott. Maybe good-looking guys get a pass?:think:

im sorry but in what way are they good looking than team japan? lol just kiddin^^ :rofl: and i think throwing himself or sitting on laps of others is his way of playfulness but that doesnt mean he wants to be partners with them.. well.. i think... :)

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
I think Yuzu is either manly and boyish. He's a man of contrast. He's mature yet enjoys his youth with a childlike heart and free soul. He is a fighter with strong personality yet so sensitive and susceptible. And doesn't have any problems with the possibility of being seen as girlish because of inside childishness. I think Dai refers to him as carnivore, manly and so on because that's how he sees him in figure skating and that's how he appreciates the qualities in Yuzu that he himself lacks. Such as toughness, self-confidence, fighter attitude.