Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 159 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
The women : ... we wait (such a high)mark .... it is amaz.......
The man : This is a masterpiece.
The first man : Ohlalala, it is the new world record ! The new world record ......
The man on the same time : Ohlala it is the world record !!!! Yuzuru Hanyu is coming to give us ...... (so astonished that he has no words), it is amazing !
The woman : it is the first time that we witness someone over the hundred points !
The other man : ..... on a short program ......
The woman : yah, on a short program ...

For more precision : the man is Nelson Montfort, a well known sport commentator in the game since 90's, especially for figure skating and athletism. The woman is Annick Dumond, a figure skating coach, she trained Brian Joubert, Florent Amodio ... She adds technical point of view when skaters were performing. And the other guy who precise the "short program" is Philippe Candeloro, retired skater very popular in France and Japan (i'm sure you know him). Since 2000, they comment skating competition together.

Merci Yuzusan! :)

WhateverHime

Rinkside
I know we can't get enough of this:

Ana@WhateverHime compiled into a video the reaction of various commentators (NBC, CBC, BBC, France2, and Sky Sport (Italy)) to Yuzuru's world record breaking SP score at the 2014 Olympics in Sochi:

http://www.tumblr.com/video_file/83541992290/tumblr_n4g6pvqzzO1s29fq9

For me, the French won for the highest level of excitement, beating out the Italians ;). Love most Sir Robin Cousins' comment just before the record score was flashed: "Oh my goodness me! Wait until you see this!"

Thanks again Ana for this!

Wow, I'm so happy you guys like my video!! Thank you so much and special thanks to Maria Victoria for posting!

I love how all these TV people (most of whom are former skaters or well, somehow involved with skating) get excited over Yuzuru. They come from all these different cultures but they somehow agree on the fact that this kid really is something special.

I agree the French guys seem the most excited. That's why I really wanted to include their part too, though I couldn't find any high quality video of their broadcast. What they say is something like:

"Lady: What he has done is something... We are waiting for the scores. It's extraordi...OH MY!! It's a world record!!
Guy: It's a world record!!
Lady: It's a world record!
Guy: It's a world record! Yuzuru Hanyu has just... oh! It's extroardinary!
Lady:It's the first time someone scores over 100! Over 100!
Guy: Oh my!
Guy #2: On a short program.
Lady: Yes, on a short program. Unbelieveble! [...]"

They really like Yuzu and seemed pretty disappointed after his FP. If I remember corectly, one of the guys said something like "he was, tonight, the skater we have loved the most".

The Italian guys were really, really excited too, after the SP. Just after he finished his shate, they said something like "The Japanese boy in a magical moment, that was pure magic!". And after the score was announced and he was like "It's the first time in history we see marks like these, but it's also the first time in history we see a skater like this" I got the goosebumps :)

EDIT: Oh, Yuzusan has already translated the French commets, oupsie :p

Yuzusan

On the Ice
Are you french Whateverhime ? ;)

Yah and during his FS, they were so disappointed just after his 2 falls ^^ They talked during his entire performance. Few people blame them to always talking during skaters performance, and it is right that sometimes, it is getting on my nerves but with replay videos, we can review it without comments^^

A part of that, during Hanyu's exhibition gala at Worlds 2014, Philippe Candeloro gave a great tribute to japanese people, they supported him for many years and always currently. That was a vibrant tribute for japanese fans.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
^Welcome Ana. It's my pleasure to post your videos as they give so much pleasure in turn to your fellow Yuzuru fans. I also posted your videos in the Yuzuru media links thread which post I hope will be updated many, many times.

"Magical moment" really describes Yuzuru's Olympic SP skate. I was watching the BBC livestream (Sue Barker and Sir Robin Cousins commentating) and my heart was going pit-a-pat, desperately wanting Yuzuru to skate his best. For him to do just that at the grandest stage of all and to know that so many people around the world who probably saw him for the first time could not help but realize what we have long known about him -- that here is a truly special skater, a gift from heaven to bring us joy -- was just glorious. Thanks again for helping us relive that moment.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
seriously? :biggrin: who in their right mind doesn't like pretty boys? :laugh: crazy talk!
LOL. Well you know, some of us are male, and straight, and immune to how "pretty" a male skater is :-D

But we can still be fans, for other reasons than that...

The first time I noticed Hanyu (several years ago), it was because he was doing most of his choreography exactly in time with the music. This adds a layer of difficulty... that many skaters avoid by using abstract music, with a only a few "accent" points they need to "hit". Some don't bother at all, really.

Later, I admired his artistry, his skating skills, his unusual flexibility... his self-belief and big ambitions, that would seem arrogant if they weren't so playful and good-natured. He had the potential for future greatness, you didn't have to be Simon Reed to see that.

And later still, following the 2011 Tsunami - I was impressed by his personality, determination, his sense of purpose and responsibility... and finally, when we saw the fire and passion of his 2012 world's FS, I was as much a fan as my wife! And we started travelling abroad to competitions to see him skate. Well, not just to see Hanyu (I'm a fan of many other skaters too)... but mostly :-D

He always had so much potential... and it has been fantastic to watch him grow over the years, and realise a lot of that early potential (many skaters show similar early potential, but somehow never make it...).

And he still "skates to the music", the thing that made me first notice him... look at PW, or 2012 world's R&J (esp. towards the end), and how his movements match the beats/accents in the music...

PS thank you littlexflower, I just saw your post in the media thread, with a link to video of the Osaka show. My wife and I are SO grateful to the people who upload skating videos to youtube. Life would be grim, without them...

Windy

Rinkside
And he still "skates to the music", the thing that made me first notice him... look at PW, or 2012 world's R&J (esp. towards the end), and how his movements match the beats/accents in the music...

Did you mean 2014 world's R&J? ;)
For me, along with his Nice 2012 R&J, 2014 World R&J is also a favorite performance.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
LOL. Well you know, some of us are male, and straight, and immune to how "pretty" a male skater is :-D

But we can still be fans, for other reasons than that...
oh, come on, more crazy talk, as if anybody could be straight enough to resist his charms ... I'm kidding!!! :laugh: obviously!
I'm sorry (really), it's just not in my nature to always be super serious and to the point ;) and since I can't look back on my years and years of experience watching FS and still don't know enough about the technical details, I'll just make the occasional silly comment because I still like to participate anyway (and I don't think my attempts of being funny diminish all the 'serious' reasons for being a fan of the kid and/or FS ;) or at least I'd hope so)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Thanks Yesway for sharing your experience. It must be great to travel the world and see figure skating competitions in various places! I appreciate beauty in men and women, especially in figure skating which is a beautiful sport.
I hadn't watched figure skating in years until I saw my family watching the 2012 WC. I said something like, "Oh, Japanese men can't figure skate very well." --this was because the last time I watched figure skating was back when Elvis Stojiko was in his prime-I was 12 years old I think-- and they said, no,no, you have to see this boy skate! So I did, and I was blown away! It got me back into watching figure skating. I saw Takahashi that day too! Wow, what a change Japanese figure skating men have gone through in the last 10 years.
Anyway, that was the beginning of my following figure skating again.

Meoima

Match Penalty
For me, along with his Nice 2012 R&J, 2014 World R&J is also a favorite performance.
Especially the Ina Bauer towards the end of the program. Personally I think David Wilson is good at integrating that element. Both Notre Dame and R&J 2.0 have good timing for Ina Bauer, it's just the kid exhausted himself before that element.

I mean, I am still not David Wilson's fan, but Yuzuru's performance at 2014 World was not lackluster at all.

Anyways, I've heard that they have 2 options for long program last season, one of R&J 2.0 and the other is Carmina Burana. :laugh: R&J 2.0 is done. So there's a possibility that they will use Carmina Burana next season.

If Yuzuru skates to Carmina Burana, I would be very amusing if him dresses like a priest. :popcorn: Cause you know, just Google the lyrics translation of Carmina Burana and you will understand. :)

Pamigena

Record Breaker
^ well, of course times change. nowadays everything is way more global and interconnected and the more you are exposed to different cultures and ideals, the more 'normal' they become. But it's also very much a matter of personal taste. As I have mentioned: I was kidding! I'm not crazy enough to suggest that there's actually something that must be universally liked by everybody. I've always had a thing for Japanese culture and people - my friends don't get that at all. Who cares? We all like different things. If it were any different, how boring would that be?

mikaboo

Medalist
I just posted the images from Yuzuru's DVD that's coming out on May 21st on the other thread.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51n26NelhIL.jpg
I was going to add the details of the DVDs as well, but realized there will be a limited edition as well as a regular version on DVD/Blu-ray and didn't have time to delve further into it. Anyway, people here probably know more than me about where to purchase the DVDs from overseas (CDJapan?) so I will just leave a link to the regular version of the DVD from amazon.co.jp here.