Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

giulia95

Medalist
Yuzuru has just been removed from the cast of the Ice Gala that will be held in Italy on December 29, Aikiko, Fumi and Machida are still scheduled.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Yuzu's FS has been growing on me all this season, and I actually really liked it when he performed it at the GPF. I'm still not a fan of the first step sequence and the choreo is still a little blah in places, but he really managed to make something out of the program regardless. It doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of the music :p

I just thought of something Kurt Browning said on the CBC broadcast, and I wanted to see what you all thought. He mentioned that, while the program isn't as emotional and exciting as R&J last year, it allows him to be more consistent technically by holding him back a little so he can focus on the elements. Basically, its a good stepping-stone program that teaches him how to manage his energy, etc. I can kind of see what he means, but I'm a little skeptical - thoughts? I think Yuzu would be able to do that even with a very emotional program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yuzu's FS has been growing on me all this season, and I actually really liked it when he performed it at the GPF. I'm still not a fan of the first step sequence and the choreo is still a little blah in places, but he really managed to make something out of the program regardless. It doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of the music :p

I just thought of something Kurt Browning said on the CBC broadcast, and I wanted to see what you all thought. He mentioned that, while the program isn't as emotional and exciting as R&J last year, it allows him to be more consistent technically by holding him back a little so he can focus on the elements. Basically, its a good stepping-stone program that teaches him how to manage his energy, etc. I can kind of see what he means, but I'm a little skeptical - thoughts? I think Yuzu would be able to do that even with a very emotional program.

I would agree with that. Yuzuru is a guy who wants to put 150 percent. I think an emotional program like R&J, it's actually quite natural to put all your intensity into it and it really doesn't let up that much throughout the program. With Norte Dame there's sort of a building to different climax points so he doesn't need to through all his intensity into it, in fact constant frantic energy doesn't work well with the building parts. That was the one thing I really appreciated at GPF. He was still passionate and energetic, but not too frantic and rushed.

When I get a chance, I can sketch out a little more...

giulia95

Medalist

I totally agree with you :agree:

my feeling is the Canadian team understimate Yuzu both as a skater and as a person.

I wonder if it’s a coicidence Yuzu had a lot of stamina in the FS the only time he trained by himself even if I’ve red somewhere he had to train at night because of poor facilities.. I hope this is untrue and he’ll be able to prepare for JN in his hometown rink properly .

I also wonder if Yuzu has just started making his own decision now that he’s legally an “adult”…:popcorn:

Lunna

On the Ice
my feeling is the Canadian team understimate Yuzu both as a skater and as a person.
I wouldn't say "understimate" maybe they just played it safe this season cuz his programme is technically harder then last season and it's the first year when they work together. All in all I think the music choice is OK but choreo could be more interesting, especially at step sequences.
I just hope they'll come up with something more strong next year (maybe Jeffrey will do both SP & LP)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^^Yuzuru has still 2 years to go. The legal adult age of Japan is 20 not 18. Becoming 20 is a pretty big deal over there. With 18, and especially if you're still in High School, you're still considered a child.

yude

Record Breaker
Yes, so-called Coming-of-Age is 20 years old in Japan.
You can finally drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes when you become 20, although boys can get married at the age of 18.
(By the way, girls can get married at the age of 16)
Yuzuru have to drink pop or tea at the party at least. :biggrin:

I liked his FP at the GPF A LOT!!
I can't express my feeling about it in English very well, but I REALLY LIKED IT!!

Now I want to see a video of little Yuzuru smiling with no front teeth on the podium.:laugh:

let`s talk

Match Penalty

I wonder if it’s a coicidence Yuzu had a lot of stamina in the FS the only time he trained by himself even if I’ve red somewhere he had to train at night because of poor facilities.. I hope this is untrue and he’ll be able to prepare for JN in his hometown rink properly .
Yuzu's mom went to Sochi with him. After he returned to Sendai for NHK, he is practically on her loving mother's watch. Maybe that is one of the reasons why he skated better at GPF than at GPs. And it seems like he will be in Japan till Osaka venue of Stars on Ice, i.e. minimum 6 weeks with no coach. It brings the feeling that either him or his family doesn't want him to go to Toronto, at least alone. At the same time, being without a coach is not good either.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Six weeks is a long time to be coachless. I hope that Hanyu has an alternate plan.

Last edited:

evangeline

Record Breaker
I doubt Yuzuru will be entirely coachless; I'm sure the JSF will send someone to monitor him and in this age of Internet, Brian Orser will likely be keeping tabs on him quite frequently.

giulia95

Medalist
I doubt Yuzuru will be entirely coachless; I'm sure the JSF will send someone to monitor him and in this age of Internet, Brian Orser will likely be keeping tabs on him quite frequently.

Yes, the JSF could send Nanami to monitor him immediately!!:laugh:

I apologize for the sarcasm, I just couldn’t resist saying that, :biggrin:

but the situation is sooo akward... 6 weeks of anarchy and self-management are too many for little Yuzu.. too much responsability on his thin shoulders..:rolleye:.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
He's not that helpless, I'm sure he'll be fine. Summer before last he trained by himself at different ice show arenas, so this isn't bad at all.

giulia95

Medalist
He's not that helpless, I'm sure he'll be fine. Summer before last he trained by himself at different ice show arenas, so this isn't bad at all.

Summer before last he had to train by himself because of the Big Earthquake, it wasn't his choice...hometown rink damaged, poor facilities and money available... :rolleye:

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Summer before last he had to train by himself because of the Big Earthquake, it wasn't his choice...hometown rink damaged, poor facilities and money available... :rolleye:

I know; I was just suggesting that he has trained by himself before, and under worse circumstances. He still did quite well last season, and compared to last year this really isn't that bad of a situation. I dunno, he seems pretty independent and able to handle responsibility well, so I think he'll be fine.

Becki

Medalist

Yes, but now it's not much of his choice either. He's reportedly "sick" and recovering, and would much rather stay in Sendai then head back to Toronto. I am assuming it has more or less to do with the avoidance of jet lag, especially so close to the Japanese Nationals.

Anyways, I believe Yuzuru is in good hands :)

evangeline

Record Breaker
but the situation is sooo akward... 6 weeks of anarchy and self-management are too many for little Yuzu.. too much responsability on his thin shoulders..:rolleye:.

You make it sound like Yuzuru's going to spend the next six weeks doing nothing but drink beer, get into bar fights and pick up random girls :laugh:

As I said earlier, Yuzuru's almost certainly going to get monitored. And as a young, teenaged skater who is training abroad for the first time (and is also quite ill), I think spending some time with his friends and family in his home country is a good idea for Yuzuru's emotional well-being (which, ultimately, is more important than skating in the long run).

giulia95

Medalist
And as a young, teenaged skater who is training abroad for the first time (and is also quite ill), I think spending some time with his friends and family in his home country is a good idea for Yuzuru's emotional well-being (which, ultimately, is more important than skating in the long run).

No doubt that preparing himself physically and mentally for a massive blood battle without a coach since November 26 is really a brilliant idea!! I can clearly imagine all the other japanese top skaters doing exactly the same , Dai, Taka, Oda & others spending time with friends and being coachless!! :laugh:

If Yuzu will do well at JN he’ll be a mature and independent young “adult”, if he’ll skate badly it will be his own responsibility …

Honestly he has been training alone two out of four seasonal competitions.. this is just a little bit weird for a kid , at least I hope Orser will arrive in Japan soon. :rolleye:

I'm missing this point :"..... Yuzuru's emotional well-being (which, ultimately, is more important than skating in the long run).[/ :confused:

Last edited: