Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

let`s talk

Match Penalty
I do think he has stronger, more challenging programs this year.
Besides the new jump 4S all the rest is just the result of new rules- like putting jumps in the second half of progs. The outcome was more than obvious- in FT he literally fell on the ice after finishing the FS, in SA he could barely finish it. Hardly this can count as "stronger".

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Besides the new jump 4S all the rest is just the result of new rules- like putting jumps in the second half of progs. The outcome was more than obvious- in FT he literally fell on the ice after finishing the FS, in SA he could barely finish it. Hardly this can count as "stronger".

I mean the programs themselves, not how they are executed. They have a lot more transitions, more jumps are in the second half of the program and yes he added a second quad, the 4S.

Again YMMY -- but to me, I think he will be challenged by both programs this season, and I think that's a good thing. He may struggle initially, but if he keeps at it, which I think he will, he will come out of this season in an amazing position for Sochi.

Becki

Medalist
I mean the programs themselves, not how they are executed. They have a lot more transitions, more jumps are in the second half of the program and yes he added a second quad, the 4S.

Again YMMY -- but to me, I think he will be challenged by both programs this season, and I think that's a good thing. He may struggle initially, but if he keeps at it, which I think he will, he will come out of this season in an amazing position for Sochi.

As always, I have complete faith in Yuzuru :) I think he will show everyone that he can do two challenging problems. But poor boy, he looks so fragile...he's too skinny!

giulia95

Medalist
I think Hanyu is obviously paying the price of the coach shifting and this was predictable in some way because he is a very “unusual skater” , a sort of bohemian crystal .

Physically speaking, Yuzuru has paid a very high price in the first competitions because his new team understimated both his asthma , which clearly sets the limit to his body resistance and not vice versa, and the risk of overworking himself.
Probably they’ve finally realized he needs a strictly tailored training schedule, where sometimes “less” is better than “more”, before insisting on the fact that “ he doesn’t know where to stay on the blades” ...

Mentally speaking, the outcome is still unpredictable. While having a “bad day” is not so strange for a skater , what’s really new here is the fact that Yuzu gave up with his FS, instead of keep on fighting till the end as usual , and the consequence was a total disaster, instead of “only” falls.

In the Kiss &Cry he didn’t interact with his coach, appearing lost in his own thoughts , desolated ( his head down on his knees) and totally unable to react to the situation.

ESP commentator wasn’t so tender about the performance , saying something like “he’s his own age..” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMY-T7jWV_w, while Kurt & Tracy (weren’t they?) seemed to be surprised about the disaster but also talked of asthma and breathing issues .. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG3ODIZEfZQ.

At this point I think Orser has roughly started “experiencing” how the kid is functioning and has time to figure out how to fix the whole picture for NHK, having some stamina and carriage possibly back ...

On the other side I think is correct and honest to say that Nanami is a true genius since she has been able to manage Yuzuru physically and mentally for so many years , preventing him from exceeding his body limit , protecting him from serious injuries and leading him to win the World medal during the big earthquake season, when really poor facilities and money were available. ...

Finally I miss what happened to Hanyu’s spins. Last year Yuzuru was the best spinner in the circuit, spins were so fast, perfectly centered, with crazy personal positions. Now the’ve simply faded away ..but spins aren’t asthma related...

Yuzu,please, may you work back on your spins ??! I love them terribly and I want them back soooon!!:laugh::biggrin:

Last edited:

kimganos

On the Ice
Different strokes for different folks, I guess -- but I really like Yuzuru's programs this year. I think it's good that Orser & Co. are challenging him with new styles, new layouts, more transitions etc. And I think he shows just as much passion and heart in these programs as he has done in the past. I think he still has work to do as far as making them his own, but it's early in the season.

I couldn't agree with you more! When he skates his Long Program like the way he skated his Short Program at SA, there will be no stopping him. He is an extraordinary talent! A once in a generation talent!

FTnoona

Final Flight
http://nonchan1023.tumblr.com/post/34818275651/translations-finished-for-anthe98

page 3:
"When the season changed, his chronic asthma worsened, making him face the skating season in the worst condition ever. At the Finlandia Trophy, he almost could not wear his new costume due to his great weight loss."

great weight loss :eek:

Then it's amazing that he is still able to rotate and land his quads. Look at what it did to Mao and her jumps. Hope that he is able to regain his weight and get back on track! It looks like Japanese nationals is going to be on heck of a fight.

giulia95

Medalist
The question is why is he loosing weight?

If the weight loss was asthma related , he wouldn’t be able to compete at all.

We all know why Mao experienced the weight loss unfortunately...

Is the new team playing Russian Roulette with Yuzuru? It looks like a very unsafe and insane situation... :disapp:

yude

Record Breaker
According to the magazine, he sometimes sleeps without having a dinner since practice in Toronto is substantial.
Moreover, it is said that he always has nutrition tablets in his bag because he can't eat much(for his age).
In his book, he said that he basically looses his weight when he does not skate for a long time.
He thinks he will become still thinner after his retirement.

I don't have any information about loosing his weight before the Finlandia Trophy.
Japanese media doesn't report about his asthma very much, so people who are not skating fans don't know that he has asthma.
Considering his character, he may also not want to talk about it, I don't know...

Anyway, I wish him good luck on NHK Trophy!!
He is such a fighter!!

giulia95

Medalist
http://nonchan1023.tumblr.com/

from the article translated :

Yuzuru: I was never asked to express a “grown” young man before, nor was I ever asked to express an actual “expression” or “theme” that was very precise. I know that I have to skate “like a man” and skate “like an adult”, but I am not sure yet about how I can skate like this.

I ‘m really missing the reason why a teen ager should be forced to skate “like a man” and “like an adult”, instead of enhancing all beautiful and fugacious qualities youthfulness can offer......

But the funniest thing is that it seems I’m not the only one, since Yuzuru said “I know that I have to skate “like a man”...but I am not sure yet about how I can skate like this

Yuzuru, you’re really a very smart boy! Please, don’t change in the future !! :laugh::clap: :biggrin:

pitterpatter

On the Ice
I wasn't very taken with his FS when I first saw it, but after having watched it a couple of times I actually really like the music and think it suits him. The program itself just needs a bit of reworking - the steps don't match the music, there are too many things going on and he looks slow with the choreography. Maybe simplifying it could also make it easier for him to get through the program? Hopefully he'll come out for NHK with an improved version!

giulia95

Medalist
I think Notre Dame FS doesn’t match to Yuzu’s skating , maybe because Mr. “Hanyu who??” Wilson was a bit distracted while creating it… :laugh: :biggrin:

In fact he “forgot” to add the spread eagle - 3A , which was exceptionally spectacular and difficult - I watched it live and it was unbelieveble, the audience went totally crazy and in fire!!!!

Yuzu was the only top skater in the WORLD to do it and NO ONE else! :bow:

It was clearly a trademark and now it’s sadly gone together with twizzles and spins… Ina Bauer survives only but it’s definitely in the wrong position( too much effort for his body resistance) and caused the 3F fall at SA, while he correctly skipped it at FT after some falls during practice …..

What was very innovative and original in Yuzu’s skating has been removed to obtain an homogeneization and standardization of his FS… what a shame, poor kid..:disapp:

About his SP I would like to say that the crazy 3A entrance it’s not Buttle’s but was already present in last year Scriabin SP, and not only the entance was stunning because just after the landing he had a beautiful sort of rotational movement involving his whole body before the spin. Crazy difficult and crazy beautiful transitions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjmKI_2fFpA&feature=related

The actual steps before the 3A seems empty and lifeless if compared to the old one :popcorn:…...

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
http://nonchan1023.tumblr.com/

from the article translated :

Yuzuru: I was never asked to express a “grown” young man before, nor was I ever asked to express an actual “expression” or “theme” that was very precise. I know that I have to skate “like a man” and skate “like an adult”, but I am not sure yet about how I can skate like this.

I ‘m really missing the reason why a teen ager should be forced to skate “like a man” and “like an adult”, instead of enhancing all beautiful and fugacious qualities youthfulness can offer......

But the funniest thing is that it seems I’m not the only one, since Yuzuru said “I know that I have to skate “like a man”...but I am not sure yet about how I can skate like this

Yuzuru, you’re really a very smart boy! Please, don’t change in the future !! :laugh::clap: :biggrin:

You know I am glad Hanyu is smart and honest enough to be aware of this himself. I have had the same feelings towards the program since the beginning and felt the programs was too artificial and doesn't quite work, which is a pity, because I really want to like them. It makes so much sense now, if the artist performing it don't believe it himself, so how will the audience about to receive it? However a young man can grow up alot in in this day and age in the space of a year, so maybe by WC, he'd able to get to be skate like a man. Maybe he should hang out with Morozov for 2 weeks :laugh: It will improve his SP to infinity!

giulia95

Medalist
ahhhh please not Morozov!!!! :biggrin: :laugh:

Bestemyanova & Bobrin would be perfect for a very quick SP and FS restyling!!!:bow:

they love and respect Yuzu so much!:yes:

Rin

Spectator
Some people think Yuzuru is fragile because he is too thin.
For Japanese ,in fact, he looks thin! But this doesn't mean he is bad health. Japanese men tend to be thin especially in teen age.
I think his health is not so bad. Don't worry!
And he doesn't allow himself to make any physical excuse for his bad results in competition.(So he didn't tell about asthma at all.)
He is very tough guy!
In Japan he is known for his powerful and positive character.He has a big gap between inner face and appearance.