Page 174 of 940 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 224 274 674 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 14096

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    .. Like the kid was playing both Juliet and Romeo in one performance.
    I get that feeling not because of the costume but because of the stabbing motion in his two Romeo and Juliet programs. In Shakespeare's play, it was Juliet who stabbed herself, while Romeo drank poison.

Re the costume, I am glad that Yuzuru's winning the gold medal silenced critics (Kurt Browning among them) that it may prevent him from being Olympic champion.

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    correct. one of the most important rules to know before choosing one's jumps.

during an actual skate, where the skater has to improvise with switch-ups, zayak is not sometimes to easy to keep track of. even the most experienced skaters sometimes lose track of the jumps they have done and repeat them (as did Fernandez in his fs at the Olympics, as did Chan last year 2012 at GPF(?) and Oda previously to that). it means that the jumps are pointless. but the double in a combo, like a 4T-4T would be the most flagrant violation of the rule in its simplest form.

interestingly, it has been reported (see discussion going back earlier a few months ago in this thread) that Orser has said that he discussed with Yuzuru the possibility of removing the quad salchow and replacing it with a second 4T in combination with a triple, but that Yuzuru told him that he preferred to keep the salchow. so it has not as if it has not been considered and put to the skater and it is Yuzuru that is the hold-out, not Orser. Nevertheless, it seems to go with the direction or development that Yuzuru had mapped out for the long term, to add to the different types of quads he does over time. (the 4A scares me though and I hope he stays away from that, given what Yagudin's experience was with it and what he said about it.) Scorewise, although it is less an issue now that Patrick is not going to worlds, I sure hope that he starts nailing it in competition because it is starting to wear. (but I do look forward to his trying it at Worlds this year. worth a few more shots given that he does it so well in practice.)

note: slight edit made for completion purposes.
    What happened to yagudin with the 4A?:

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanmgse View Post
    What happened to yagudin with the 4A?:
    As I am not sure, he was saying this jump is too dangerous .

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    As I am not sure, he was saying this jump is too dangerous .
    My recollection from reading an article based on one of Yagudin's interviews was that he chose to give it up because, on one of his tries, he almost broke his neck on the landing.

Custom Title
    My recollection from reading an article based on one of Yagudin's interviews was that he chose to give it up because, on one of his tries, he almost broke his neck on the landing.

Well, I certainly prefer no 4A to the risk of injuries.

Custom Title
    Wow Didn't expect that, he better stay away from that jump then.

fairy dust distributor ~Pamina~'s Avatar
    I'm still an idiot when it comes to the technical stuff, so forgive me for asking a possibly very stupid question
    what makes a 4A more dangerous than other 4-jumps?
    (to my untrained eye those jumps all look like you could break your neck doing them)

Custom Title
    I have read that Yuzuru said that he wants to perform a program with at least three different types of quad jumps some day. Now he already has the quad toe down pat, needs to stabilize his quad sal, so I wonder what the third quad jump will be. Becki has mentioned the possibility of a quad lutz; and in the 2013 TEB, the British Eurosport female commentator noticed how Yuzuru's triple lutz even had a delay at the start of the rotation which means room for an extra revolution. I have also read that Yuzuru is thinking of a quad loop as he also wants to have the distinction of being the first to land that jump in competition.

Yuzuru's willingness to push the sport's technical boundaries is exciting for us his fans, but I share the concern that he should also take care of himself and not take unnecessary risks so he can have a long and fulfilling career. I hope Yuzuru's coaching team continues to carefully monitor his jumping. I think Brian Orser has done a good job reining him in (Brian described it as channelling Yuzuru's spirit and not crushing it) while allowing room for progress and making Yuzuru focus on other aspects of his skating to make him a well-rounded skater.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Victoria View Post
    Yuzuru's willingness to push the sport's technical boundaries is exciting for us his fans, but I share the concern that he should also take care of himself and not take unnecessary risks so he can have a long and fulfilling career. I hope Yuzuru's coaching team continues to carefully monitor his jumping. I think Brian Orser has done a good job reining him in (Brian described it as channelling Yuzuru's spirit and not crushing it) while allowing room for progress and making Yuzuru focus on other aspects of his skating to make him a well-rounded skater.
    Agreed. I think that focusing on the "other aspects" of his skating would be much more beneficial to him at the present moment and in the long-run than, for example, a quad loop. But that's not to say that he hasn't been working and improving on those other aspects thus far.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Pamina~ View Post
    I'm still an idiot when it comes to the technical stuff, so forgive me for asking a possibly very stupid question
    what makes a 4A more dangerous than other 4-jumps?
    (to my untrained eye those jumps all look like you could break your neck doing them)
    I'm not an expert too but from what I know the Axel is the most difficult and I guess the most dangerous of all the jumps because you have to rotate a half more, I mean in the 4A the skater must rotate 4 times and a half and with a forward take off. That is all I know xD

I also do appreciate the sentiment and share the same concern. I notice whenever he falls, he lands on his left hip. A lot. Hopefully he's doing some off-ice training in order to help perfect his quad before just going out there and jumping until he lands it. I think his way of going about jumps have definitely improved from the time he was with coach Nanami to Orser. It may not seem like it when it comes to competition but he doesn't fall as badly with Orser. Of course that could also just be attributed to his growth as a brilliant skater. It's kind of hard to pinpoint what's working exactly.

Custom Title
    Today (March 11) is the third anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake, a pivotal moment for Yuzuru both as a skater and as a person. We could have easily lost him and the magical moments he has created on the ice then. Yuzuru seems so childlike in so many ways, but in the essential things (knowing what he wants and dedicating himself, heart. body, and soul to it, holding nothing back; thinking of others and not just focusing on himself), he is really so wise and mature beyond his years.

The Yomiuri Shimbun, 3/11/14
    Sochi Olympic figure skating champion Yuzuru Hanyu is determined to continue skating, using his performances to remind people of the Great East Japan Earthquake and the people impacted by it. The following is an excerpt from an exclusive interview with The Yomiuri Shimbun.

I wanted to win a medal as a gift to Japan, which was devastated by the earthquake. That was part of my frame of mind at the Sochi Olympics. But when I actually won the gold medal, I was hit by a feeling of helplessness. It was because I realized a gold medal would not directly help with reconstruction. I even moved my training base to Canada from Sendai, where I was born and raised, to aim for a gold medal at the Sochi Olympics. But at the same I wondered whether it was really good for me to leave my hometown, which had been struck by the disaster.

Three years ago, at the moment the earthquake hit, I was practicing at an ice rink in Sendai. The ice surface rolled in waves, and I could barely stand up from terrible shaking. I thought I was going to die, and I fled from the rink, crying. The memory of what I saw then still comes back to haunt me. Sometimes I can’t stop myself from crying and I suffer from nightmares.

Once I thought about quitting skating. I realized something when I won a bronze medal at the 2012 World Championships thanks to the support of so many people: I skated to encourage people affected by the disaster, but in reality I was the one who was being supported.

The same goes for the Olympics. I was driven forward by the cheering. The gold medal victory wasn’t my work alone, but the work of everybody who supported me.

As a gold medalist, I began to understand what I should do. I will continue skating to share my message: “Don’t forget the devastated areas.”

Custom Title
    Today (March 11) is the third anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake), a pivotal moment for Yuzuru both as a skater and as a person. We could have easily lost him and the magical moments he has created on the ice then. Yuzuru seems so childlike in so many ways, but in the essential things (knowing what he wants and dedicating himself heart. body, and soul for it, holding nothing back; thinking of others and not just focusing on himself), he is really so wise and mature beyond his years.

The Yomiuri Shimbun, 3/11/14
    Sochi Olympic figure skating champion Yuzuru Hanyu is determined to continue skating, using his performances to remind people of the Great East Japan Earthquake and the people impacted by it. The following is an excerpt from an exclusive interview with The Yomiuri Shimbun.

I wanted to win a medal as a gift to Japan, which was devastated by the earthquake. That was part of my frame of mind at the Sochi Olympics. But when I actually won the gold medal, I was hit by a feeling of helplessness. It was because I realized a gold medal would not directly help with reconstruction. I even moved my training base to Canada from Sendai, where I was born and raised, to aim for a gold medal at the Sochi Olympics. But at the same I wondered whether it was really good for me to leave my hometown, which had been struck by the disaster.

Three years ago, at the moment the earthquake hit, I was practicing at an ice rink in Sendai. The ice surface rolled in waves, and I could barely stand up from terrible shaking. I thought I was going to die, and I fled from the rink, crying. The memory of what I saw then still comes back to haunt me. Sometimes I can’t stop myself from crying and I suffer from nightmares.

Once I thought about quitting skating. I realized something when I won a bronze medal at the 2012 World Championships thanks to the support of so many people: I skated to encourage people affected by the disaster, but in reality I was the one who was being supported.

The same goes for the Olympics. I was driven forward by the cheering. The gold medal victory wasn’t my work alone, but the work of everybody who supported me.

As a gold medalist, I began to understand what I should do. I will continue skating to share my message: “Don’t forget the devastated areas.”
    he is amazing. I'm glad he was able to overcome that difficult situation and use it to be better. I remember when I saw the news about the tragedy, I hope everything is going better there.

I thought I was going to die, and I fled from the rink, crying. The memory of what I saw then still comes back to haunt me. Sometimes I can’t stop myself from crying and I suffer from nightmares.

The gold medal victory wasn’t my work alone, but the work of everybody who supported me."

Poor kid. I feel like saying a big "thank you" to all those who encouraged him not to give up skating.

Page 174 of 940 FirstFirst ... 74 124 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 224 274 674 ... LastLast