Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
:biggrin: It would make me so happy if I saw this next time I stopped in Kinokuniya!!

They've been making them in Japan or decades. I meet someone who had a photobook collection all the way back to Janet Lynn. Shizuka Arakawa had a ton of photobooks since she won Japan's only medal in the 2006 Olympics. Oh, and she's gorgeous too.

K

kilyca

I reserved his book in Amazon, and it has arrived my house yesterday. 
Impression that I read.. His straightforward feeling was written in book, and was interesting.
It is different impression from his mature talk in interview.
Half of the contents of the book is many photographs; therefore can enjoy it as photobook even if do not understand Japanese language. Of course, those photos are lovely!:love:
蒼い炎 is as charity book. He will donate the royalties to Ice-rink-Sendai.

It has been already sold out by the Internet order, but is going to be reprinted by the end of this month.

Last edited:
Thanks for this... lucky for me, I can read Chinese. Wow this bring a totally new level of appreciation I have for this kid, and what is really behind his tears at the end of his Romeo and Juliet. He didn't tear up for himself, but gratefulness for the people who supported him, especially those from Sendai he share the disaster shelters with 450 people at the school. They eat 1 rice ball handed down from teachers at the school twice a day, and sometimes 2 people shares 1 small rice ball. Those who has ever experienced major loss, uncertain future, and hunger should know these are experiences one is unlikely to ever forget so no wonder this is a kid who grew up fast.

Hanyu said he feels warmth, appreciation and strength from those who shared shelters with him, feels guilty instead of suffering with them at the shelter entirely, he ran away to train in figure skating. He is said to be very grateful that they worry about him and his conditions so much when there are far more important things. He did over 60 shows in the year to get ice time and to raise money for Sendai.

With so much pent up emotion in this 17 year old, conflicted sorrow, grief, questioning on himself, his ethics, philosophy, purpose, but also optimism, hope, self-assurance and reliance, Hanyu were able to rise from the gloom to fight his way to the worlds podium carrying the hope and the spirit of his people. It is good then we couldn't ask for a better ending. He really fought and delivered his promise to them and was fearless in his pursuit. I love that! I have always commented the way he attack his program and incredible high difficulty elements remind me of a young warrior who knows no fear and maybe a little naive. Little does I know actually this kid knows plenty about fear and loss, that somehow he was able to turn into a strength and battled his way 100% everytime out there. Even with an injury now we know about on top of his training and asthma problems. It explains why his coach who were usually so cool and level headed at the Kiss & Cry has totally choked up at the end of the FS. They really stuck it out together this past year through so much tough spots, it really is the best ending they can ask for and be proud of.

I'm finally making my way through this thread. Thanks to you, os168, to kilyca, and to anyone else who has spent time translating Hanyu's words and the commentary about him. It's easy to forget, looking at his young face, that even a kid can endure a difficult and life-changing experience. I've been impressed all year by the way Japanese skaters have stood alongside people in the quake/tsunami zone. But Hanyu was actually there when it all happened, so he has has direct involvement in the tragedy. What a year he must have had. And yet he managed the intense training that got him onto the podium in his first senior Worlds. Between him and Takahashi laboriously training to heal from what should have been a career-ending injury...what do they put in the water in Japan? These guys are downright heroic.

And I wish they made photo books in the U.S.! I have a long list of skaters from here and abroad whose photos I want. Thank goodness for Google. I can make my own.

Becki

Medalist
Impression that I read.. His straightforward feeling was written in book, and was interesting.
Half of the contents of the book is many photographs; therefore can enjoy it as photobook even if do not understand Japanese language. Of course, those photos are lovely!:love:
青い炎 is as charity book. He will donate the royalties to Ice-rink-Sendai.

It has been already sold out by the Internet order, but is going to be reprinted by the end of this month.

I want to buy! I have to wait until I am in Japan because shipping is so so expensive :'(

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yuzuru's 2009 JW FS - British ESP version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFE8rrLCJtQ&feature=related
It's amazing how fast he improves technically. Hopefully he is lucky enough to stay severe injury free throughout his career. Next season is going to be exciting to see if he can keep up his skating or if he is going to have a Gachinski like season.

He was amazing even then as a 14 yo little boy. The British Eurosport guys knew.

Nattou

Rinkside
青い炎 is as charity book. He will donate the royalties to Ice-rink-Sendai.

OMG, not only photos but also written feelings? I can't wait for mine to arrive in ten days!!
I'm so lucky because although I don't understand Japanese, I have a Japanese best friend. She said she would definitely translate everything to me.
I CAN'T WAIT!!

By the way, I know amazon.co.jp has mad high shipping fee because I actually attempted to order one there (but I couldn't since it was like $55 Ô___Ô). HMV also sells "Aoi Honou", and the shipping fee is as half as that on Amazon. For people who wanna own one but can't afford to buy it on Amazon, here's it is: http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail.asp?sku=5014819 . Hope it helps >_<

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
OMG, not only photos but also written feelings? I can't wait for mine to arrive in ten days!!
I'm so lucky because although I don't understand Japanese, I have a Japanese best friend. She said she would definitely translate everything to me.
I CAN'T WAIT!!

By the way, I know amazon.co.jp has mad high shipping free because I actually attempted to order one there (but I couldn't since it was like $55 Ô___Ô). HMV also sells "Aoi Honou", and the shipping fee is as half as that on Amazon. For people who wanna own one but can't afford to buy it on Amazon, here's it is: http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail.asp?sku=5014819 . Hope it helps >_<

What was the total cost for buying it at HMV?? I want to own one, and I doubt I will go to Japan this summer.

Nattou

Rinkside
What was the total cost for buying it at HMV?? I want to own one, and I doubt I will go to Japan this summer.

I live in North America, and the total cost including shipping is $32. On HMV it says the shipping may be changed due to the item's weight, but I doubt it will in this case since the photobook is not heavy at all (I looked at the photos, and I know :D).
You can check this out: http://www.hmv.co.jp/help/016000017/ . Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
I live in North America, and the total cost including shipping is $32. On HMV it says the shipping may be changed due to the item's weight, but I doubt it will in this case since the photobook is not heavy at all (I looked at the photos, and I know :D).
You can check this out: http://www.hmv.co.jp/help/016000017/ . Hope it helps.

Thanks I live in north America too so it should be around same price :)

deedee1

Record Breaker
For your reference, I have checked shipping fees via EMS (Express Mail Service) by Japan Post for those who have a friend/family living in Japan, so that you can ask him/her to buy his book on your behalf and send it vis EMS.

EMS fees for North+Central America, Oceania & Middle East:

-up to 300g 1,200yen
-up to 500g 1,500yen

Fyi, Japan Post Web Site says it normally takes 3-4 days to New York.
You can also check EMS fees/days thru the following link, though all written in Japanese.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/

His book costs 1,470yen, plus shipping fee comes aournd 3,000yen even via EMS.
HMV charging you $32, shipping fee included, sounds just reasonable to me.

K

kilyca

For your reference, I have checked shipping fees via EMS (Express Mail Service) by Japan Post for those who have a friend/family living in Japan, so that you can ask him/her to buy his book on your behalf and send it vis EMS.

EMS fees for North+Central America, Oceania & Middle East:

-up to 300g 1,200yen
-up to 500g 1,500yen

Fyi, Japan Post Web Site says it normally takes 3-4 days to New York.
You can also check EMS fees/days thru the following link, though all written in Japanese.

http://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/

His book costs 1,470yen, plus shipping fee comes aournd 3,000yen even via EMS.
HMV charging you $32, shipping fee included, sounds just reasonable to me.
Thank you :)
The main body of the book is 375 g, tag and a receipt are about 10 g.
In addition it is approximately 70 g from 20 g by quality of paper and thickness of packing material and the envelope.
The totals seem to be less than 500 g.

Last edited:

deedee1

Record Breaker
I am a bit late to say this but...

Congratulations Yuzuru, for winning the bronze medal on your first apprearance at the Seinor Worlds!!!

Moreover, considering what Yuzu has been through since the earthquake and tsunami hit Sendai in March 2011, his accomplishment at the recent Worlds is just unbelievable. He is such a fighter, isn't he? I am so happy for him and his coach Nanami sensei.

I have no doubt that Yuzuru does have a bright future ahead of him and will probably win more medels in the coming years.
In order to prevent him from potential injuries, there are two thing I would like to suggest Yuzuru.

1) Drop the biellmann spin before he hurts the back.
Yuzu already is such a good spinner. He simply doesnot need that position to get a level 4.

2) Please learn how to fall properly.
I know he is very flexible, and he seems not to be bothered or hurt by a fall as it looks. But the way he did fall in his junior days scared me a lot, I remember...
He has grown a lot since then, and he is only to gain more muscle towards his twenties. Learning how to fall properly will help him to avoid injuries.

Anyway, congratulations again, Yuzu!
It must have been the most exhausting season for you so far. Please rest enough!

kimganos

On the Ice
I was blown away with Yuzuru Hanyu's freeskate at the 2012 Worlds. He is so special!!!! He is supremely talented but I believe what separates him from all of the top male skaters in the world including Daiske Takahashi is his abiltity to connect to the audience. He skates with heart and soul and true emotion which is just unbelievable for a 17 year old. I predict he will be a world and an olympic champion! I am 53 years old and have seen many great skaters but have never been as moved as I was by the Romeo and Juliet Freeskate of Yuzuru Hanyu. I just adore him.

Becki

Medalist
I was blown away with Yuzuru Hanyu's freeskate at the 2012 Worlds. He is so special!!!! He is supremely talented but I believe what separates him from all of the top male skaters in the world including Daiske Takahashi is his abiltity to connect to the audience. He skates with heart and soul and true emotion which is just unbelievable for a 17 year old. I predict he will be a world and an olympic champion! I am 53 years old and have seen many great skaters but have never been as moved as I was by the Romeo and Juliet Freeskate of Yuzuru Hanyu. I just adore him.

I predict the same :) If this forum still exists in the next couple of years, I'll come back to show my posts to non-Yuzuru believers, just to tell them "I told you so" ;)