Page 2 of 582 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 502 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

Quote Originally Posted by doctor2014 View Post
    I’m thinking about Hanyu now. Will there be chances that he becomes like Denis Ten next year?
    Slim to none. Check out some of Yuzuru's older performances on Youtube (e.g. his final junior season, 2009-10) and you'll see that he's already had a major growth spurt, and not only did his 3A survive it, he's since added a quad as well - and he's still doing his Beillmann. He is just a special talent. It stood out for me the first time I saw him, when he was the youngest men's competitor at 2009 Junior Worlds (I still maintain he wuzrobbed on PCS) and it's clear now as well. Really at this point it's about conditioning, maturity, and control.

As for similarities to Weir and Plushenko, I think you can see the influence of both in Yuzuru's skating - the best of both, really. Whether he can have a Plushenko-like career, who knows? His mental strength seems impressive - after everything he's been through with the earthquake and its aftermath (he was on the ice when it hit), to be able to have such a good season is a very encouraging sign as far as his future prospects go.

I really hope to have the chance to see him skate live at some point. A friend of mine was at 2010 JW and really enjoyed his skating.

Custom Title
    I think he has the potential making of the perfect skater, balance of the Yin and Yang, the amalgamation of opposites spectrum of men's figure skating: Johnny (artistry, sensitivity, smoothness and finesse) and Plushy (Unapologetic technical overlord!) May be being young and somewhat of an innocent, this type of boyish charming androgynous type of skating is very attractive to me (I am not sure if that makes sense) but he remind me a character straight out of the Japanese Manga F4 boys from Hana Yori Dango, except he is the sweet one all the girls can relate to and have a crush on (Especially with his Winnie the Pooh bear lucky charm ... lol!). I wouldn't be surprised if he start to become a pin up back in Japan by next year (if he isn't already)

I do think he offers something new, unique and quite refreshing among the current men's.

Maybe something to do with age and personality perhaps? Hanyu is one of the more emotional available mens skater right now (I hope that won't change when he gets older), there's compassion and venerability that shows up on his Romeo and Juliet programs which I love. He clearly feels the music, the mood changes and he is clear in what he is trying to express in tuned with the many variations of music beyond merely executing the required elements. Overall, very good intrinsic understanding of musicality, movement and performing to the audience (although the latter could be improved upon further with greater maturity).

The thing I appreciate the most is Hanyu hardly ever dumb down his program in an almost naive and optimistic way. Given the type of crazy difficult content he has, his personal situations (asthma and stamina issues) he appears to be refreshingly uncalculated and his natural demeanour is going for broke 100% of the time. And if he is on fire, you might get 110% performance out of him as if is the last performance he will ever give.

He rarely ever hesitate before his big elements, and I am always surprised to see how a major fall would really appear to shook him up as if he couldn't believe it (and refuse to believe it), only to find him coming back with an even bigger jump to prove and reassures himself. May be there's some Samurai spirit in this young one!

Amazing talent aside, it makes him an exciting and somewhat unpredictable skater to root for because the chances are, with these amount of crazy difficulties he want to include his programs at his age (with all his asthma and stamina issues) the chances of him going clean is slim, yet you know he is always going for his very best instead of following some sort of calculated risks like the older skaters tends to do. (Especially amongst the ladies field right now)
    Last edited by os168; 12-01-2011 at 06:21 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    It also absolutely blows my mind that Yuzuru's doing so well this season, considering that he's from Sendai (i.e. the major city the most heavily affected by the earthquake/tsunami back in March) and the resulting emotional trauma (in addition to the lost training time) that must have caused. That, in addition to the fact that he kind of looks like my younger brother, makes me teary-eyed whenever I see him skate even half decently.

Keep in mind that, while he doesn't seem it, Yuzuru is already two inches taller than two of the leading Japanese men (Daisuke and Nobunari) and the same height as Takahiko. (Strange, isn't it? I guess the charisma Daisuke exudes on ice makes him look bigger?) Hopefully this means that he won't be doing much more growing.

In general, though, I don't think growth spurts are *as* much of a problem for men's skaters, since they don't have the problem (at least in terms of the physics of rotating jumps) of getting curvy when they hit puberty, and instead gain mass more so in muscle, which helps.
    But of course there is the possibility that Yuzuru will still grow taller. I think gaining muscle mass will only to be his benefit.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    he remind me a character straight out of the Japanese Manga F4 boys from Hana Yori Dango, except he is the sweet one all the girls can relate to and have a crush on
    I love the soundtrack to that Drama, perhaps he can make a program out of it! I'm sure his costume would be fabulous since the clothes the F4 wear are super chic and high end. Holy crap, I just thought of something. Hanyu, Takahashi, Oda and Kozuka should perform an exhibition number to Hana Yori Dango and Mao can play Makino. That would be awesome!

Custom Title
    I found a funny and funny clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=900O1...eature=related

I think Yuzuru was trying to tell Jeremy and Javier to move aside so his fans can take pics of him with the Japanese flag xD Jem looks so confused.

He's already awesome, but i hope he does not emulate JW or DT with costume choices. I feel it detracts from his skating. I'm just not a fan of sequins, feathers, drapery and illusion fabric on male skaters.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    I found a funny and funny clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=900O1...eature=related

I think Yuzuru was trying to tell Jeremy and Javier to move aside so his fans can take pics of him with the Japanese flag xD Jem looks so confused.
    Goodness, he is cute. I love his personality and talent. Count me as his fan...wish the best for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    I am not exactly sure how bad his asthma is or how it affects his training. But as someone who has been hospitalized for asthma a few times, I feel his pain.
    Hugs for you. You are awesome, and I am sorry to hear that.
    Last edited by prettykeys; 11-30-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Custom Title
    can yuzuru speak english? i can't seem to find any clips of him speaking....

btw does anyone else notice that yuzuru does the "cross" during the beginning of his programs. I reckon he's probably christian?
    Last edited by Becki; 11-30-2011 at 11:49 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    can yuzuru speak english? i can't seem to find any clips of him speaking....

btw does anyone else notice that yuzuru does the "cross" during the beginning of his programs. I reckon he's probably christian?
    I heard he just does the cross thing for good luck b/c in one clip I saw him go to a shrine to pray. Here is a clip of him speaking a tiny bit of english skip to around 10.15. They were asking him how he felt about his new blades b/c they are different from the traditional looking blades.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbvVH...el_video_title

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koheikun90 View Post
    I love the soundtrack to that Drama, perhaps he can make a program out of it! I'm sure his costume would be fabulous since the clothes the F4 wear are super chic and high end. Holy crap, I just thought of something. Hanyu, Takahashi, Oda and Kozuka should perform an exhibition number to Hana Yori Dango and Mao can play Makino. That would be awesome!
    OMG what a great idea! Mao would make an amazing Makino, and Dai would certainly able to showcase his inner Domyoji I know he has in there somewhere (and I want the curls back)
    And of course who better to be Hanazawa than Taka heheh.....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    OMG what a great idea! Mao would make an amazing Makino, and Dai would certainly able to showcase his inner Domyoji I know he has in there somewhere (and I want the curls back)
    And of course who better to be Hanazawa than Taka heheh.....

Hahahaha! So true!

I have a little bit different opinion about Yuzuru here; while you think Yuzuru come out of boy over flower, to me because of his body type and face, he is so typical Clamp manga guys. Feminine face, pencil thin and determined eyes.

I'm so sorry for my super off topic; none skating related post.

About his style, he is often get compared with Weir or Plush, but I think that was caused by his costume, charisma and bielman spin. I see many skaters in him; like he combine them together. But the one who I think he is similar to the most is Yagudin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    I heard he just does the cross thing for good luck b/c in one clip I saw him go to a shrine to pray. Here is a clip of him speaking a tiny bit of english skip to around 10.15. They were asking him how he felt about his new blades b/c they are different from the traditional looking blades.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbvVH...el_video_title
    Lol he is so superstitious!!! He does a lot of things for good luck, I.e. Winnie the pooh, cross

Custom Title
    For anyone interested, here is the CBC commentary version of Hanyu's FS at CoR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCYfOmLNTog

- He's no longer the reigning Jr. World champ

The Canadians and British commentators seem to acknowledge Hanyu's artistry (like it's there) but the Universal Sports commentators don't seem to. I don't remember exactly what they said but I have seen three Uni Sports commentaries of Hanyu's programs (NHK 2010 FS, 4CC 2011 FS, CoR 2011 FS) and they keep saying along the lines of he skates like a junior.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    For anyone interested, here is the CBC commentary version of Hanyu's FS at CoR
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCYfOmLNTog

- He's no longer the reigning Jr. World champ

The Canadians and British commentators seem to acknowledge Hanyu's artistry (like it's there) but the Universal Sports commentators don't seem to. I don't remember exactly what they said but I have seen three Uni Sports commentaries of Hanyu's programs (NHK 2010 FS, 4CC 2011 FS, CoR 2011 FS) and they keep saying along the lines of he skates like a junior.
    The British Commentators think he's the next big thing, and I agree! Yeah I noticed that mistake too about the reigning Jr World Champion.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Personally, I think Yuzuru is already one of the big things (figuratively of course, 'cause single skaters are all midgets). Barring injury, he has to be considered a podium contender at every event he gets to this season.

Also, lol at all the Yuzuru/Anime comparisons. I thought the very same thing about him the first time I saw him skate, too. His looks and bearings just hit that bishounen hot spot dead on. I've already seen a lot of fan art of him from Japan. He is a marketer's dream.

Page 2 of 582 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 502 ... LastLast