Page 29 of 685 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 79 129 529 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post
    Yuzuru Hanyu is a good skater but very unpolished and immature in his skating compare to someone like Joubert or Takahashi
    This is an absurd comment! How can you compare some like Joubert and Takahashi who are 25 or 26 years old to a 17 year old kid. Yuzuru is extremely polished and mature for a 17 year old and he is being rewarded for it by the judges. His PCS scores were very close to Joubert's who by the way I really like as a skater.

Custom Title
    Damn Yuzuru is a marketer's dream. So many decide to watch his LP again and again after talking about him here. Imagine if he endorsed a product, just the mention of his name and people will flock to the stores to buy the product :D

Custom Title
    bestskate8 is the one who predicted that Gachinski would win the Worlds in the “Predictions” thread:
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ht=#post625678

Quote Originally Posted by bestskate8 View Post
    men

Gachinski
    Chan
    Joubert/Amodio
    bestskate8 must be really disappointed right now. I guess that s/he thinks Gachinski is the most mature and polished skater.

kilyca
    News.
    YUZU's official site suspended. It expand more contents in the next season and seem to reopen.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Damn Yuzuru is a marketer's dream. So many decide to watch his LP again and again after talking about him here. Imagine if he endorsed a product, just the mention of his name and people will flock to the stores to buy the product :D
    He's going to be very popular for sure!!!!! I'm sure he already has an agent!

Custom Title
    And how can you compare 17 year old Yuzuru, who has been in Seniors for two years, to Daisuke and Brian, who have been seniors for at almost 10 years now....
    I'd say the comparison is valid because Hanyu is competing with Takahashi and Joubert. I can see why bestskate8 finds Hanyu unpolished. After watching his videos, I noticed that he looks down a lot in his programs. In the sense that his head isn't completely down but he isn't actually looking up either. It's more noticeable in the second half of his programs, so he may be tired and pushing through. It takes a bit away from his performances. Having these problems is somewhat of a good thing, because it means that we as fans have his improvement to look forward to.
    Last edited by FTnoona; 04-20-2012 at 01:22 AM.

Custom Title

hanyu

Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    I'd say the comparison is valid because Hanyu is competing with Takahashi and Joubert. I can see why bestskate8 finds Hanyu unpolished. After watching his videos, I noticed that he looks down a lot in his programs. In the sense that his head isn't completely down but he isn't actually looking up either. It's more noticeable in the second half of his programs, so he may be tired and pushing through. It takes a bit away from his performances. Having these problems is somewhat of a good thing, because it means that we as fans have his improvement to look forward to.
    Agreed. Hanyu is in the big leagues amongst his peers now.

I agree that Hanyu has posture and strength issues, but I disagree with anyone who says that his performance was over-scored. He got every one of those points tooth and nail. Right now, he is relying on pure spirit to carry him where he comes up short in his ability to breath (asthma) and maintain posture/endurance (strength), but the results are still competitive. He seems to get into some kind of zone. His jumps are amazing and the stuff inbetween is world calibre as well.

Sometimes when we criticize, we focus on only what is wrong, and then we speak in a context that nothing is right.

Hanyu may have some shortfalls he will have to overcome. But even this year, he has showed competition to competition a constant bettering of his ability. My sixth sense tells me that as now we start to compare Hanyu to others, in a few years we will be comparing others to Hanyu.

Custom Title
    I have always thought Hanyu's PCS was underscored through out the entire season being the newbie on the scene in a year of really strong mens. Only by the time of the world, it manage to catch up with how it should be based on the merit of the program.

It was a solid build up through the entire season with the content difficulty being upgraded all the time. In someways I still think the PCS is somewhat short maybe having the amazing Daisuke in the same competition from the same country means both their score are somewhat undermarked, in particularly Daisuke against Chan.

The Romeo and Juliet program is perfect to complement his raw, fresh and spirited quality at his age, while some may say not as polished, but I'd argue it is precisely these qualities of risky taking somewhat naive, brave and passionately spirited performance that Hanyu has made this program work.

A 'polished romeo' done by a seasoned skater or maybe himself in 5-10 years time might be more aesthetically appealing, but would be utterly false to the essence and the 'truth' of the program which recalls being the cusp of innocence turned passionate, out of control, darkly wild and imminent death, aspiring for spiritual freedom. The UK Eurosport commentators called this possibly one of the best FS performance of all time, and I am in total agreement with them. It has the marking of a signature program written all over it.
    Last edited by os168; 05-01-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    Ah, I should put it this way:

I find it unfair to compare the MATURITY and POLISH of Yuzuru to that of Daisuke and Brian. I think maturity and polish comes with experience, which Yuzuru currently lacks because he has only been in seniors for two years, and he's quite young.

If you compare him with someone similar to his age, and with similar senior experience, i.e. Nan Song and Artur Gachinski, that might be a better comparison.

Custom Title
    Ah, I should put it this way:

I find it unfair to compare the MATURITY and POLISH of Yuzuru to that of Daisuke and Brian. I think maturity and polish comes with experience, which Yuzuru currently lacks because he has only been in seniors for two years, and he's quite young.

If you compare him with someone similar to his age, and with similar senior experience, i.e. Nan Song and Artur Gachinski, that might be a better comparison.
    I think it's fair to compare the maturity and polish of Yuzuru to Daisuke and Brian....mostly because Yuzuru is directly competing against Daisuke and Brian. Yuzuru's relative youth gives him the advantage when it comes to jumps, but puts him at a disadvantage with regards to other qualities. That's life.

It's just one more thing Yuzuru has to work on in the future. And given his drive, determination and talent, I am sure he will succeed.

Medalist
    [QUOTE=os168;639002]I have always thought Hanyu's PCS was underscored through out the entire season being the newbie on the scene in a year of really strong mens. Only by the time of the world, it manage to catch up with how it should be based on the merit of the program.

It was a solid build up through the entire season with the content difficulty being upgraded all the time. In someways I still think the PCS is somewhat short maybe having the amazing Daisuke in the same competition from the same country means both their score are somewhat undermarked, in particularly Daisuke against Chan.

The Romeo and Juliet program is perfect to complement his raw, fresh and spirited quality at his age, while some may say not as polished, but I'd argue it is precisely these qualities of risky taking somewhat naive, brave and passionately spirited performance that Hanyu has made this program work.

A 'polished romeo' done by a seasoned skater or maybe himself in 5-10 years time might be more aesthetically appealing, but would be utterly false to the essence and the 'truth' of the program which recalls being the cusp of innocence turned passionate, out of control, darkly wild and imminent death, aspiring for spiritual freedom. The UK Eurosport commentators called this possibly one of the best FS program of all time, and I am in total agreement with them. It has the marking of a signature program written all over it.[/QUOT

This is really well said and a great observation. I really loved the British guys as commentators too! Much better then over here in America!

Custom Title
    Hanyu already skates with a maturity and polish that someone like Joubert wishes he had in his career. Joubert mainly jumps but not much else. I give him props for still bringing it at his age but Hanyu has more potential to be a all around skater.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Hanyu already skates with a maturity and polish that someone like Joubert wishes he had in his career. Joubert mainly jumps but not much else. I give him props for still bringing it at his age but Hanyu has more potential to be a all around skater.
    Right on!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    My previous comments might be a bit not clear and I can see by some of the really great comments that followed that I should have been more careful.

I too thought the British guy's commentary was bang on. I thought that the North American commentary was lacking, and I was especially disappointed by Kurt Browning's commentary on CBC at the Montreal event. I too thought that prior to the world championship skate that Hanyu had been underscored and I suspected that it was on the basis that he was a newbie. I don't think that his jumps or his skating is immature. He skates like a polished veteran. His performance at the world championship is the one that I have re-watched the most because I think it is the most amazing performance that I have seen in years. (For me, I have not been so moved by a competitive skating performance since decades ago watching Orser and Boitano skate against each other that night at the Olympics.) Patrick Chan rightly called Hanyu's performance a "lights out" performance. It was not just good enough, it was better than good enough. And this little samurai from Sendai can hold his own just as he is now.

Now to the quoted comment above: Joubert seems to be changing in a lot of ways. Even though Joubert is mature in years, he seems to have shown a fantastic capacity for changing this year. I know that he likely does not have a lot of years still left in him, but if he continues to develop artistically (this year he really was improved), what he comes up with Sochi might be surprising (in a good way). He is undergoing a rebirth that is very beautiful to watch. But he has always been a different style of skater than Hanyu and the two aspire to different directions.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    My previous comments might be a bit not clear and I can see by some of the really great comments that followed that I should have been more careful.

I too thought the British guy's commentary was bang on. I thought that the North American commentary was lacking, and I was especially disappointed by Kurt Browning's commentary on CBC at the Montreal event. I too thought that prior to the world championship skate that Hanyu had been underscored and I suspected that it was on the basis that he was a newbie. I don't think that his jumps or his skating is immature. He skates like a polished veteran. His performance at the world championship is the one that I have re-watched the most because I think it is the most amazing performance that I have seen in years. (For me, I have not been so moved by a competitive skating performance since decades ago watching Orser and Boitano skate against each other that night at the Olympics.) Patrick Chan rightly called Hanyu's performance a "lights out" performance. It was not just good enough, it was better than good enough. And this little samurai from Sendai can hold his own just as he is now.

Now to the quoted comment above: Joubert seems to be changing in a lot of ways. Even though Joubert is mature in years, he seems to have shown a fantastic capacity for changing this year. I know that he likely does not have a lot of years still left in him, but if he continues to develop artistically (this year he really was improved), what he comes up with Sochi might be surprising (in a good way). He is undergoing a rebirth that is very beautiful to watch. But he has always been a different style of skater than Hanyu and the two aspire to different directions.
    I really enjoy reading your intelligent perspective and comments in this forum!

Page 29 of 685 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 79 129 529 ... LastLast