Page 4 of 670 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

He is the one to beat by Sochi i think.

Custom Title
    Ooo little boy growing up Happy birthday!! Hope Hanyu does better at his LP!

(Yeah I agree, I'd love a show down between him and Patrick Chan! May the best skater on the day wins.)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Ooo little boy growing up Happy birthday!! Hope Hanyu does better at his LP!

(Yeah I agree, I'd love a show down between him and Patrick Chan! May the best skater on the day wins.)
    If Yuzuru is injury free, and continues to improve, he is DEFINITELY going to be a contender for the podium in Sochi. Yuzuru is technically stronger than Patrick imho, as long as his quads are more consistent, he'll definitely win in the technical aspect. As for PC, with experience and must I say, "maturity", Yuzuru can challenge Patrick.

Banned
    In his interview to Asahi TV after GPF LP he said that Dai created a nice atmosphere in the audience and it really helped Yuzuru to skate with good feeling. Very noble comment to his fellow team member. Says a lot about Yuzuru's personality I think.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    In his interview to Asahi TV after GPF LP he said that Dai created a nice atmosphere in the audience and it really helped Yuzuru to skate with good feeling. Very noble comment to his fellow team member. Says a lot about Yuzuru's personality I think.
    To me, such comment just sounds cheesy. Obviously, some people like superficial remarks and flattery like this as opposed to people who speak their mind, which is fine. Let's however try not to play psychologist and determine someone's personalty based on a canned answer made for the press.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    ^ wth? Someone's bitter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    To me, such comment just sounds cheesy. Obviously, some people like superficial remarks and flattery like this as opposed to people who speak their mind, which is fine. Let's however try not to play psychologist and determine someone's personalty based on a canned answer made for the press.
    Maybe that's what he really feels? Just because he's not making digs at his fellow competitor doesn't mean that it's a "canned answer."

Custom Title
    So happy for Yuzuru. With his recent LP performance, he proved he belong to the GPF and is surely the contender to watch out for in the future.

The nature of human judging where impressions matters, will always prefer those ranked by seniority, familiarity and experience, that is why Liza and Hanyu will never get the PCS they deserve even if they did put out their best performance on the day. Plus the fact each federation will likely to their own preferred skater to win (e.g Johny Weir at the Olympics). This may means in general young skaters are likely to be somewhat disadvantaged as long as they have a senior in the same competition from the same federation.

It is a credit to Hanyu who were able to control his nerves and skated boldly with so much heart at his most important competition so far. He did himself and his country proud, and I am sure he gained quite a few new fans this year. What an exciting debut at his senior season! It may not be long before he reach Daisuke's craftsmanship and artistic realization, but his raw talent, aspirational program content, and vibrancy of youth has already surpass many skaters in my mind and makes him among the most exciting skatera to root for.

I look forward to the Japan nationals and hopefully he get to claim Japan's no.2 spot after Dai, and if he is really lucky, he might even sneak past the old master!
    Last edited by os168; 12-11-2011 at 12:51 PM.

I find it highly that he's being beaten by Fernandez on PCS, but I'm sure eventually Yuzuru will build up a reputation that will allow him to be competitive. Yuzuru is a lovely skater and seems like a class act; I wish him all the best with the rest of the season and his future in the sport.

For some skaters, being nice and being honest are not mutually exclusive.

Banned
    He's incredible. To me, he should have won the LP. His performance puts Chan into shame.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I find it highly that he's being beaten by Fernandez on PCS, but I'm sure eventually Yuzuru will build up a reputation that will allow him to be competitive.
    The main difference between Fernandez and Hanyu is -- European #1 vs Japan's #2. European judges want someone of their own on the GPF podium, especially because this season's worlds is in Europe. Fernandez is the first European GPF medalist since Lambiel in 2007. Hanyu had a little disadvantage from the skate order in the SP. And probably, some judges considered Fernandez was robbed in Russia (by miraculously narrow 0.03 points) and made up for him.

I found a cute clip of Yuzuru & Nan Song at CoC Ex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sawu3...ature=youtu.be

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    The main difference between Fernandez and Hanyu is -- European #1 vs Japan's #2. European judges want someone of their own on the GPF podium, especially because this season's worlds is in Europe. Fernandez is the first European GPF medalist since Lambiel in 2007. Hanyu had a little disadvantage from the skate order in the SP. And probably, some judges considered Fernandez was robbed in Russia (by miraculously narrow 0.03 points) and made up for him.
    That doesn't really make sense tho with Fernandez being European #1 and Hanyu Japanese #2...what does that have to do with the scoring? :S CoR and the GPF are two separate events, and I don't think the same judges were in both competitions....

Custom Title
    Argh, I think given his tender age and the fierce competition, he's just really happy to be competing at the Finals. He has everything to gain, and nothing to lose - so if having his teammate skate before him, and get a standing ovation, he feels the energy to follow a similar performance :P I highly doubt Yuzuru is making a superficial remark, and is in fact speaking his mind. What's he suppose to say to seem "real"? I am disappointed my teammate did an excellent job and now I must leave up to the expectations? That doesn't seem like the Yuzuru to me...

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    My eyes can't roll back far enough at the nitpicking of a totally innocuous nice thing Yuzuru said. It's not even worth refuting.

On the other hand, the assertion that Yuzuru got lowballed in the PCS compared to Javier because of nationality is worth a bit more exploration. Rather than chalk it down to nationality or any sort of bloc identity, isn't the more obvious explanation one of seniority and exposure? Javier has been around on the international scene longer and is better known to judges. In fact, Javier's been to the senior world championships 5 times already! Reputation and "waiting your turn" are known modifiers of PCS in our sport. Yuzuru just isn't benefiting from that yet. Funnily enough, in seasons past, Javier was the one whom I thought was getting lowballed in PCS due to his age and lack of reputation. It happens to all skaters, unfortunately. Yuzuru is building that rep now, and doing it in such a way I haven't seen from any male skater this age since Plushenko. I think the judges will be convinced to give him his due sooner rather than later.

Although, it would really help if Yuzuru fixes his stamina problem completely. You want your last impression of a performance to be strong, because that's right before the judges punch in the PCS.

Page 4 of 670 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast