Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season

FTnoona

Final Flight
His falls are terrible and it takes him so long to get up - then at the end of programs he looks like he can't breathe at all is going to collapse. I do not enjoy his skating at all because it doesn't look like he can handle skating physically. I don't really think of posture.

He's stamina has gotten better a little bit from the past though. Last season at 4CC near the end of his program he popped a few jumps and this year he at least landed all of them at the end of his program so there is some little improvement. He does take a while to get back into his program when he falls, CoR and CoC, but at worlds he was injured so maybe that might have affected his slowness to get up even more. It's been said he has asthma, but I wonder what is the main trigger for his attacks. It would suck if it was exercise.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
FTnoona said:
He's stamina has gotten better a little bit from the past though. Last season at 4CC near the end of his program he popped a few jumps and this year he at least landed all of them at the end of his program so there is some little improvement.

It's not just the jumps, I think his whole choreography was more difficult than last year, and therefor more exhausting to execute.
And besides the asthma, I read somewhere he couldn't have more than about 10h of practice per week because of his schooling. Maybe his stamina is something Orsers team can work on with him.

And gmyers, I said that about his posture because it's what I read quite a few times from different people. Not because that was my main issue with him or something like that.

evangeline

Record Breaker
LOL, I guess all the fevered speculation about the nefarious hands of the JSF, agents, Orser himself, etc., was all for nothing.

About Yuzuru's falls: I do agree that he needs to learn how to immediately pop back up from his big falls...some of them have been very disruptive and definitely should have knocked him down quite a bit in PCS as they clearly affected the overall flow of his program. But I did think it was VERY impressive how Yuzuru had that giant splat at Worlds, but proceeded to nail a huge 3A-3T a few seconds after as if nothing had happened. Progress!

doctor2014

On the Ice
His falls are terrible and it takes him so long to get up - then at the end of programs he looks like he can't breathe at all is going to collapse. I do not enjoy his skating at all because it doesn't look like he can handle skating physically. I don't really think of posture.
Yes, Hanyu’s biggest problem is lack of stamina. I hope Orser can fix this problem. Hanyu’s posture, OTOH, is not that bad compared to some of Orser’s other students. Christina, Javier, and Elene have worse posture than Hanyu, but Orser has not fixed their posture after all this time. It makes me wonder if Orser has paid attention to posture at all.

Brandenburg

Rinkside
I have no way of knowing whether Brian addresses posture issues. That said, while Hanyu may take ballet lessons and that's great, a season of ballet lessons might or might not make a difference - it's only a season and late in his development as a skater. Where ballet makes a difference, a genuine difference in posture and carriage is when the athlete has been in class for years (as it used to be in the Soviet system when youngsters took ballet class as a part of their skating development) practically from the beginning of learning to skate so that basic skills are learned with the head, back, etc. in a good position. Also, if a coach simply asks the older athlete (like Hanyu) to change posture, that results in a whole bunch of balance adjustments that have to be addressed - it not a simple or overnight adjustment. It's not even a one season adjustment and for some elite competitors, it's not an adjustment at all because they are too far along to make such a major change, a change that effects almost every element including basic stroking.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He's stamina has gotten better a little bit from the past though. Last season at 4CC near the end of his program he popped a few jumps and this year he at least landed all of them at the end of his program so there is some little improvement. He does take a while to get back into his program when he falls, CoR and CoC, but at worlds he was injured so maybe that might have affected his slowness to get up even more. It's been said he has asthma, but I wonder what is the main trigger for his attacks. It would suck if it was exercise.

Yes, Hanyu’s biggest problem is lack of stamina. I hope Orser can fix this problem. Hanyu’s posture, OTOH, is not that bad compared to some of Orser’s other students. Christina, Javier, and Elene have worse posture than Hanyu, but Orser has not fixed their posture after all this time. It makes me wonder if Orser has paid attention to posture at all.

It's not just the jumps, I think his whole choreography was more difficult than last year, and therefor more exhausting to execute.
And besides the asthma, I read somewhere he couldn't have more than about 10h of practice per week because of his schooling. Maybe his stamina is something Orsers team can work on with him.

And gmyers, I said that about his posture because it's what I read quite a few times from different people. Not because that was my main issue with him or something like that.

Stamina has gottent a little better but I don't know how anybody after Hanyu skates say his biggest problem is posture when he looks close to fainting or collapsing after falls or after programs. He doesn't look healthy enough to skate at all.

Okay, here it goes. I hadn't really cared for men's field except for the rivalry between Chan and Dai. Even at Hanyu in Nice, I thought, "Boy, he was really amazing!" and that was just it for me. Lately I've had some time spared and sorted things I'd delayed for so long and one of them was, and I really tagged it like this, "Hanyu, HAVE TO WATCH HIM." And I did, finally.

Wow, he blew me away and this was such a thrill to have witnessed such a talent coming up this season! His jumps have got the power, which I value the most when it comes to jumps of men and women, and maturity is there, which gives a carriage to performances. I have a new favorite skater to my list:yay: So what I'm doing now writing this gibberish reply here is to declare that I'm now one of you:biggrin:

I've seen this thread growing up and it's almost 500 posts so I don't think I can catch up with you guys completely but I'll try from now on. It's gonna be extremely delightful seasons, so much to look forward from this young man!

treeloving

Medalist
I have read that his new ex program look like 17 year old stripper? :eek:

Also I have heard that he still has some injuries, is this true?