Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2010-12 Season

Becki

Medalist
He totally wiped out! That must have hurt. There's another clip I think maybe the finale of Carnival on Ice or the ice show after Japan Open where he went for the quad three times because the first two times he failed. When he went for the third time he had this cute face on b/c most skaters just go once for the finale to show their stuff. It's hilarious how he is kinda crossing himself before his quads like he is praying to not wipe out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR7C-LjLEGM&feature=related
It's at 10.54 where he goes for his third try

i love his perseverance :) do you know if he's Catholic since he does the cross?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^
No, I dont think so, he just uses it for accesory I think.

btw, forget Low-Chan
Yuzuru is my new obsession in men's FS :biggrin:

Becki

Medalist
^
No, I dont think so, he just uses it for accesory I think.

btw, forget Low-Chan
Yuzuru is my new obsession in men's FS :biggrin:

nono, i meant the action he does before he skates his programs...

who is low-chan? yeah I love Yuzuru too! haha

Becki

Medalist
well that..:biggrin:
join in, Yuzuru will be the best of the worlds in less than 2 years

LOL PChan...I was thinking that. But chan is a honorific in Japanese...so i thought you meant some guy with the name Low lol.

I think Yuzuru is already one of the best in the world. I think he will medal at Worlds next year :)

FTnoona

Final Flight
i love his perseverance :) do you know if he's Catholic since he does the cross?

I read off some forum (I don't remember which) that he does it for good luck. I've seen clips of him at shrines praying too, but then again I didn't understand what they were saying because I don't speak Japanese :(

Becki

Medalist
I read off some forum (I don't remember which) that he does it for good luck. I've seen clips of him at shrines praying too, but then again I didn't understand what they were saying because I don't speak Japanese :(

Ohhh if you have the video, show me and I will try to make out what they are saying lol (or use google translator haha).

I actually thought he was Catholic...fooled me.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Ohhh if you have the video, show me and I will try to make out what they are saying lol (or use google translator haha).

I actually thought he was Catholic...fooled me.

I don't really remember where I read it off of, so I am probably remembering incorrectly so please ignore my comment (I can't find where I read it off of which is making me crazy...). When or if I find the forum again, I'll tell you.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
I don't really remember where I read it off of, so I am probably remembering incorrectly so please ignore my comment (I can't find where I read it off of which is making me crazy...). When or if I find the forum again, I'll tell you.

Okay so I found out why he does the cross thing. He's not Christian, or Catholic for that matter. He does that because it's good luck for keeping his body straight during jumps lol

FTnoona

Final Flight
Okay so I found out why he does the cross thing. He's not Christian, or Catholic for that matter. He does that because it's good luck for keeping his body straight during jumps lol

haha no wonder he did it so often when he was going for the quad in the shows :laugh:

doctor2014

On the Ice

Sorry, I don’t get it. Why would the cross thing help his body to be straight during jumps? Or he can do any kind of good-luck things for this purpose, but he just chooses to do the cross thing? Maybe his coach taught him this trick would help his jumps? :rolleye:

FTnoona

Final Flight
Sorry, I don’t get it. Why would the cross thing help his body to be straight during jumps? Or he can do any kind of good-luck things for this purpose, but he just chooses to do the cross thing? Maybe his coach taught him this trick would help his jumps? :rolleye:

Good luck charms don't always make sense, but if that's what gets him to land those quads and triples heck why stop doing it :p

Becki

Medalist

Lol u don't have to get it, as long as it works for Yuzuru it is all good.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thank you so much for translating it. I just checked and found subs :party2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA7_vFetSV4

Wow thanks for this!! Baby Hanyu is so cute lol same bowl hair cut... about the making signs of the cross thing, I wonder if someone ever asked him that. Personally I wonder if he might have been inspired seeing Yuna Kim do it, though she only do it because she is Catholic. I know he is a fan from this interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs64DLaRIiQ

At around 4:50, Yuzuru is asked by the interviewer which female skaters he likes. His response is, 'Of course, Kim Yu-Na and Asada Mao' He gives his comments about Mao, then at around 5:13, he comments about Yu-Na.

… he says ジャンプだけではなくて, ジャンプがはいりつつそのプロがかんせいしてるとこがすき
"Jumps are not just jumps in Yuna, her jumps are inseparably combined in the program and that completes her program."

I think it is a style he adopted in to his skating very well and is something I noticed right away before discovering this quote. The rather androgynous attractive expressive style is perhaps he also took in the influences from the great ladies of this sport and combined with his Johnny weir and Plushy influences.

In the documentary clip he said he did 59 live performances this summer in shows. It would certainly explained his maturity on ice and how he address the audience well with his expressive performance. Who are the 2 non-Japanese on the ice with him, I thought his programs was choreographed by her coach, or was it by someone else?

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist
Oops, I translated a wrong video :laugh: CC is added for "20061109 novice nats Hino vs Hanyu" and not the one quoted by Becki. Will translate this one as well, just give me a day or so.

Thank you so much for translating both video, because of your help, now we can know him better.:clap:

I hope I will be able able to kbow what was he doing in Russia as well. (from the vid, I think it a choreography training, right?)

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
Can someone please explain the reference to Chris Hansen? I keep reading comments about Chris Hansen and Yuzuru's dancing...