Page 621 of 3235 FirstFirst ... 121 521 571 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 671 721 1121 1621 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,315 of 48515

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

  1. #9301
    #timshel ioanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,757
    Country: Romania

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by annca View Post
    uhhmmm.... yeaahh... i dont really want to speculate since, well we dont really know what was going on since we're not really there and its only natural that fans will cheer for their fave skaters but if the uploader was telling the truth... well, receiving this kind of treatment from some of them is not something new either soo...

    its best to leave it at that...
    IMO the uploader is a bit naive to think those particular fans waited for the exact moments when Yuzuru was attempting jumps to cheer for Daisuke. We can watch the videos ourselves and see that they were cheering for Daisuke all the time, even when Yuzuru was just doing laps or talking to Orser. There were 4 other skaters beside them on the rink and they don't really hear anything anyway because they know how to tune out the noise and concentrate.

    It's true there are certain Daisuke fans that are being disrespectful towards Yuzuru but there are also certain Yuzuru fans being disrespectful to Daisuke, just like in the comments section of the video. Even so, there are very few of them and their behavior doesn't deserve any attention at all.

  2. #9302
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    364

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanap View Post
    IMO the uploader is a bit naive to think those particular fans waited for the exact moments when Yuzuru was attempting jumps to cheer for Daisuke. We can watch the videos ourselves and see that they were cheering for Daisuke all the time, even when Yuzuru was just doing laps or talking to Orser. There were 4 other skaters beside them on the rink and they don't really hear anything anyway because they know how to tune out the noise and concentrate.

    It's true there are certain Daisuke fans that are being disrespectful towards Yuzuru but there are also certain Yuzuru fans being disrespectful to Daisuke, just like in the comments section of the video. Even so, there are very few of them and their behavior doesn't deserve any attention at all.
    like i said, its best to leave it at that

  3. #9303
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,678

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    It is difficult to translate "見られてなんぼ” 
    Just a variant: there is no show without the viewers.

    Thank you so much for the translation. I always like to read the actual words said by an athlete when possible. Thank you again!

  4. #9304
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chiba, Japan
    Posts
    861

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smasma View Post
    I think 見られてなんぼ could mean 見られなければいけない, which means "have to be watched", but I could be wrong. To me that means he enjoys to be the center of the attention. He wants people to watch him.
    Or,

    As なんぼ is "how much" in Osaka dialect, I think it literally means "it becomes relevant, or having value only after being watched." ? So, "Figure skating is a sport which becomes having value only after being watched", if detailed, but too detailed

    There are many (verb) してなんぼ as slangs. I want an equivalent slang in English

    Anyway, we just understand Yuzuru likes to be watched and attract attention. No one denies he has an essential element as a figure skater

  5. #9305
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,678

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by shingalas View Post
    There seems to be a mindset, particularly among the Japanese skaters, that you shouldn't win by just playing it safe, but should aspire to be the best that you can be even at the prospect of failure. Just like Asada who struggled through reworking her jump technique for years and refused to give up on her 3A, just like Takahashi who didn't even need the 4T which he fell on at the Vancouver Olympics (0 points!!!), in the end, it's not about winning because of other people, it's about winning against yourself.

    People will say what they want about how Hanyu looks dead after an LP, but to me that doesn't show his weakness, it shows his strength. Strength of character, strength of his training, and strength of his self-belief.
    That is an amazing post. Thank you! I believe Japanese manga is a great motivator for sportsmen (after reading all the posts on this matter during the last pages of this thread)- so... maybe it could be used as a mandatory tool for the young sportsmen to build up their motivation?

  6. #9306
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chiba, Japan
    Posts
    861

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrento View Post
    Just a variant: there is no show without the viewers.
    Great

  7. #9307
    Bona Fide Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,638

    0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, Meoima, for the interview link, and SuzyQ for the translations. Exactly the way I imagined Yuzu: dedicated and obsessed with learning new things. I'm glad he's placed OGM behind him, since that would give him the motivation to continue for the full four years.

  8. #9308
    Medalist yhmafan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,478

    0 Not allowed!
    fans war thing, brought up here again?? No more merry~go~round~please

  9. #9309
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    172

    0 Not allowed!
    SuzyQ, thank you so much for correcting translation posted before. Seems that text was based on Chinese translation of original article, and mistakes tend to pile up in such cases.

    When I was reading that article in Asahi I was puzzled with 見られてなんぼ expression, now I think I finally was able to grasp it :D

  10. #9310
    Figure Skating Is A Beautiful Sport smasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    291

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    As なんぼ is "how much" in Osaka dialect, I think it literally means "it becomes relevant, or having value only after being watched." ? So, "Figure skating is a sport which becomes having value only after being watched", if detailed, but too detailed

    There are many (verb) してなんぼ as slangs. I want an equivalent slang in English
    Yes, I think you've hit the target! "Having value only after being watched" is exactly it!

    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    Anyway, we just understand Yuzuru likes to be watched and attract attention. No one denies he has an essential element as a figure skater
    That's our boy!

  11. #9311
    generally interested fan Esopian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    501

    0 Not allowed!
    After watching the video of all the timed, edited footage of his POTO program, I'm even more excited to see his interpretation of the music! This definitely feels different compared to the previous R&J programs because it seems a lot more musical-ish with the addition of lyrics(vocals).

    Even with only a preview, the POTO program already seems awesome!

  12. #9312
    fairy dust distributor Pamigena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
    Posts
    2,665

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    Anyway, we just understand Yuzuru likes to be watched and attract attention. No one denies he has an essential element as a figure skater
    the little stage hog

    You have no idea how much I love you people for this translation nitpicking I'm always happy when there's more than one translation for any interview.
    Also, that makes it much less OT for me to post an essay I've stumbled upon recently: So You Want To Learn Japanese. Reason two and three are a bit blah, but the first part had me in tears
    (and before anybody gets ready to stone me for "making fun of" a foreign language/culture [which I'm not], please realize that I had pretty much the same reaction to Mark Twain's remarks regarding The Awful German Language.)

  13. #9313
    Yuzu Tracker msteach3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW USA
    Posts
    548
    Country: United States of America

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by annca View Post

    i just meant that i wish he doesnt push himself too much (but i guess its not too much for him than i think it is ) if he wanted to win since i think his previous layout is pretty much still good to use, which could also be good health- wise. im just afraid of what will happen to his body once he pushes himself too much (what happened to plushy comes to my mind everytime.. no please )
    but i agree, knowing his competitiveness.. i dont think he'll play it safe
    I think we need to have more trust in Yuzu and his decisions. For him to be happy and fulfilled he needs to push the bar higher and contiune to grow. This to me seems admirable and is the mindset that has worked for him so far. I also think Orser is keeping a watchful eye and will make sure Yuzu stays healthy and strong. In other words...relax! He's doing what he loves and we need to be happy for him and not worry.

  14. #9314
    Figure Skating Is A Beautiful Sport smasma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    291

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by msteach3 View Post
    I think we need to have more trust in Yuzu and his decisions. For him to be happy and fulfilled he needs to push the bar higher and contiune to grow. This to me seems admirable and is the mindset that has worked for him so far. I also think Orser is keeping a watchful eye and will make sure Yuzu stays healthy and strong. In other words...relax! He's doing what he loves and we need to be happy for him and not worry.
    Totally agree with you.

    Just a bit off topic about this. Apparently, Pasquale Camerlengo has nominated Akko-chan to participate in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. It has finally hit the Japanese figure skaters community! Let's see if she will accept the challenge and who she will nominate next. I want to see her nominate Yuzu and yet I don't want Yuzu to get sick accepting the challenge because he has to enjoy his family vacation as well as perform at the 24hr TV soon.

  15. #9315
    fairy dust distributor Pamigena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    second star to the right and straight on 'til morning
    Posts
    2,665

    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smasma View Post
    I want to see her nominate Yuzu and yet I don't want Yuzu to get sick accepting the challenge because he has to enjoy his family vacation as well as perform at the 24hr TV soon.
    how about him just throwing a bucket of water at someone else? would you be good with that?

Page 621 of 3235 FirstFirst ... 121 521 571 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 671 721 1121 1621 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •