Page 624 of 814 FirstFirst ... 124 524 574 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 674 724 ... LastLast
Results 9,346 to 9,360 of 12198

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan22 View Post
    Just saw a video about Yuzu's 6-mins warm up at sochi fs. I don't speak Japanese, but it seems that the uploader was saying that some fans cheered for Dai whenever Yuzu was attempting jumps. It would be better if the video can show what Dai was doing. If Dai was also attempting jumps every time Yuzu jumps, then it is fine that the fans were cheering I think.
    uhhmmm.... yeaahh... i dont really want to speculate since, well we dont really know what was going on since we're not really there and its only natural that fans will cheer for their fave skaters but if the uploader was telling the truth... well, receiving this kind of treatment from some of them is not something new either soo...

its best to leave it at that...

Custom Title
    >>>羽生結弦「オペラ座の怪人」 / 音源検証 "Music Inspection"

Using latest footage I linked before, someone has edited a probable music cut for the first part of the program/timed it to the music so we can view without the news commentators voice-over. (From 4:09 onwards the coloured parts are the parts that are definitely correct, the black/white parts are filler because no footage yet).

I must say, I actually quite like how it looks so far, I think this kind of "obvious"/theatrical expressiveness is different than the nuanced expression required for NDP/R&Jno2.

EDIT: Thank you SuzyQ for your fine-toothed Japanese-English translation editing, so grateful for the translators from tumblr and here!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post

It is difficult to translate "見られてなんぼ” 
    "nothing begins if not watched", or "entirely dependent on whether watched", or "to be watched is the precondition", or ....

I expect your imagination from here.
    I think 見られてなんぼ could mean 見られなければいけない, which means "have to be watched", but I could be wrong. To me that means he enjoys to be the center of the attention. He wants people to watch him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shingalas View Post
    羽生結弦「オペラ座の怪人」 / 音源検証 "Music Inspection"

Using latest footage I linked before, someone has edited a probable music cut for the first part of the program/timed it to the music so we can view without the news commentators voice-over. (From 4:09 onwards the coloured parts are the parts that are definitely correct, the black/white parts are filler because no footage yet).

I must say, I actually quite like how it looks so far, I think this kind of "obvious"/theatrical expressiveness is different than the nuanced expression required for NDP/R&Jno2.
    OOOOHHH! me likes it too!!

the last time the uploader did this to yuzu's r&j 2, the music is quite similar to the real program,, you can see it on her uploads

and thanks for all the update guys

Quote Originally Posted by annca View Post
    uhhmmm.... yeaahh... i dont really want to speculate since, well we dont really know what was going on since we're not really there and its only natural that fans will cheer for their fave skaters but if the uploader was telling the truth... well, receiving this kind of treatment from some of them is not something new either soo...

its best to leave it at that...
    IMO the uploader is a bit naive to think those particular fans waited for the exact moments when Yuzuru was attempting jumps to cheer for Daisuke. We can watch the videos ourselves and see that they were cheering for Daisuke all the time, even when Yuzuru was just doing laps or talking to Orser. There were 4 other skaters beside them on the rink and they don't really hear anything anyway because they know how to tune out the noise and concentrate.

It's true there are certain Daisuke fans that are being disrespectful towards Yuzuru but there are also certain Yuzuru fans being disrespectful to Daisuke, just like in the comments section of the video. Even so, there are very few of them and their behavior doesn't deserve any attention at all.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ioanap View Post
    IMO the uploader is a bit naive to think those particular fans waited for the exact moments when Yuzuru was attempting jumps to cheer for Daisuke. We can watch the videos ourselves and see that they were cheering for Daisuke all the time, even when Yuzuru was just doing laps or talking to Orser. There were 4 other skaters beside them on the rink and they don't really hear anything anyway because they know how to tune out the noise and concentrate.

It's true there are certain Daisuke fans that are being disrespectful towards Yuzuru but there are also certain Yuzuru fans being disrespectful to Daisuke, just like in the comments section of the video. Even so, there are very few of them and their behavior doesn't deserve any attention at all.
    like i said, its best to leave it at that

Custom Title
    It is difficult to translate "見られてなんぼ” 
    Just a variant: there is no show without the viewers.

Thank you so much for the translation. I always like to read the actual words said by an athlete when possible. Thank you again!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by smasma View Post
    I think 見られてなんぼ could mean 見られなければいけない, which means "have to be watched", but I could be wrong. To me that means he enjoys to be the center of the attention. He wants people to watch him.
    Or,

As なんぼ is "how much" in Osaka dialect, I think it literally means "it becomes relevant, or having value only after being watched." ? So, "Figure skating is a sport which becomes having value only after being watched", if detailed, but too detailed

There are many (verb) してなんぼ as slangs. I want an equivalent slang in English

Anyway, we just understand Yuzuru likes to be watched and attract attention. No one denies he has an essential element as a figure skater

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by shingalas View Post
    There seems to be a mindset, particularly among the Japanese skaters, that you shouldn't win by just playing it safe, but should aspire to be the best that you can be even at the prospect of failure. Just like Asada who struggled through reworking her jump technique for years and refused to give up on her 3A, just like Takahashi who didn't even need the 4T which he fell on at the Vancouver Olympics (0 points!!!), in the end, it's not about winning because of other people, it's about winning against yourself.

People will say what they want about how Hanyu looks dead after an LP, but to me that doesn't show his weakness, it shows his strength. Strength of character, strength of his training, and strength of his self-belief.
    That is an amazing post. Thank you! I believe Japanese manga is a great motivator for sportsmen (after reading all the posts on this matter during the last pages of this thread)- so... maybe it could be used as a mandatory tool for the young sportsmen to build up their motivation?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrento View Post
    Just a variant: there is no show without the viewers.
    Great

Custom Title
    Thank you, Meoima, for the interview link, and SuzyQ for the translations. Exactly the way I imagined Yuzu: dedicated and obsessed with learning new things. I'm glad he's placed OGM behind him, since that would give him the motivation to continue for the full four years.

fans war thing, brought up here again?? No more merry~go~round~please

Custom Title
    SuzyQ, thank you so much for correcting translation posted before. Seems that text was based on Chinese translation of original article, and mistakes tend to pile up in such cases.

When I was reading that article in Asahi I was puzzled with 見られてなんぼ expression, now I think I finally was able to grasp it :D

Custom Title
    As なんぼ is "how much" in Osaka dialect, I think it literally means "it becomes relevant, or having value only after being watched." ? So, "Figure skating is a sport which becomes having value only after being watched", if detailed, but too detailed

There are many (verb) してなんぼ as slangs. I want an equivalent slang in English
    Yes, I think you've hit the target! "Having value only after being watched" is exactly it!

Anyway, we just understand Yuzuru likes to be watched and attract attention. No one denies he has an essential element as a figure skater
    That's our boy!

generally interested fan Esopian's Avatar
    After watching the video of all the timed, edited footage of his POTO program, I'm even more excited to see his interpretation of the music! This definitely feels different compared to the previous R&J programs because it seems a lot more musical-ish with the addition of lyrics(vocals).

Even with only a preview, the POTO program already seems awesome!

Page 624 of 814 FirstFirst ... 124 524 574 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 674 724 ... LastLast