Page 625 of 679 FirstFirst ... 125 525 575 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 675 ... LastLast
Results 9,361 to 9,375 of 10184

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

  1. #9361
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    124
    SuzyQ, thank you so much for correcting translation posted before. Seems that text was based on Chinese translation of original article, and mistakes tend to pile up in such cases.

    When I was reading that article in Asahi I was puzzled with 見られてなんぼ expression, now I think I finally was able to grasp it :D

  2. #9362
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    As なんぼ is "how much" in Osaka dialect, I think it literally means "it becomes relevant, or having value only after being watched." ? So, "Figure skating is a sport which becomes having value only after being watched", if detailed, but too detailed

    There are many (verb) してなんぼ as slangs. I want an equivalent slang in English
    Yes, I think you've hit the target! "Having value only after being watched" is exactly it!

    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    Anyway, we just understand Yuzuru likes to be watched and attract attention. No one denies he has an essential element as a figure skater
    That's our boy!

  3. #9363
    generally interested fan Esopian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    182
    After watching the video of all the timed, edited footage of his POTO program, I'm even more excited to see his interpretation of the music! This definitely feels different compared to the previous R&J programs because it seems a lot more musical-ish with the addition of lyrics(vocals).

    Even with only a preview, the POTO program already seems awesome!

  4. #9364
    fairy dust distributor ~Pamina~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    Anyway, we just understand Yuzuru likes to be watched and attract attention. No one denies he has an essential element as a figure skater
    the little stage hog

    You have no idea how much I love you people for this translation nitpicking I'm always happy when there's more than one translation for any interview.
    Also, that makes it much less OT for me to post an essay I've stumbled upon recently: So You Want To Learn Japanese. Reason two and three are a bit blah, but the first part had me in tears
    (and before anybody gets ready to stone me for "making fun of" a foreign language/culture [which I'm not], please realize that I had pretty much the same reaction to Mark Twain's remarks regarding The Awful German Language.)

  5. #9365
    Yuzu Tracker msteach3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    NW USA
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by annca View Post

    i just meant that i wish he doesnt push himself too much (but i guess its not too much for him than i think it is ) if he wanted to win since i think his previous layout is pretty much still good to use, which could also be good health- wise. im just afraid of what will happen to his body once he pushes himself too much (what happened to plushy comes to my mind everytime.. no please )
    but i agree, knowing his competitiveness.. i dont think he'll play it safe
    I think we need to have more trust in Yuzu and his decisions. For him to be happy and fulfilled he needs to push the bar higher and contiune to grow. This to me seems admirable and is the mindset that has worked for him so far. I also think Orser is keeping a watchful eye and will make sure Yuzu stays healthy and strong. In other words...relax! He's doing what he loves and we need to be happy for him and not worry.

  6. #9366
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by msteach3 View Post
    I think we need to have more trust in Yuzu and his decisions. For him to be happy and fulfilled he needs to push the bar higher and contiune to grow. This to me seems admirable and is the mindset that has worked for him so far. I also think Orser is keeping a watchful eye and will make sure Yuzu stays healthy and strong. In other words...relax! He's doing what he loves and we need to be happy for him and not worry.
    Totally agree with you.

    Just a bit off topic about this. Apparently, Pasquale Camerlengo has nominated Akko-chan to participate in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. It has finally hit the Japanese figure skaters community! Let's see if she will accept the challenge and who she will nominate next. I want to see her nominate Yuzu and yet I don't want Yuzu to get sick accepting the challenge because he has to enjoy his family vacation as well as perform at the 24hr TV soon.

  7. #9367
    fairy dust distributor ~Pamina~'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    659
    Quote Originally Posted by smasma View Post
    I want to see her nominate Yuzu and yet I don't want Yuzu to get sick accepting the challenge because he has to enjoy his family vacation as well as perform at the 24hr TV soon.
    how about him just throwing a bucket of water at someone else? would you be good with that?

  8. #9368
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    264
    Quote Originally Posted by smasma View Post
    Totally agree with you.

    Just a bit off topic about this. Apparently, Pasquale Camerlengo has nominated Akko-chan to participate in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. It has finally hit the Japanese figure skaters community! Let's see if she will accept the challenge and who she will nominate next. I want to see her nominate Yuzu and yet I don't want Yuzu to get sick accepting the challenge because he has to enjoy his family vacation as well as perform at the 24hr TV soon.
    ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is a lot of fun. Love it. But Yuzu doesn't have an SNS account, which might make it a bit hard for others to nominate him. (Considering he has asthma, hope he doesn't get a cold because of a game)

  9. #9369
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Pamina~ View Post
    how about him just throwing a bucket of water at someone else? would you be good with that?
    Yes yes yes, throwing a bucket of water at someone else is good! Way to go Kurt!! It'll be fun to see The Cricket Brothers to do the honors for their beloved coach!

    Somehow I think I saw Nam throwing a bucket of water at someone already. Or I could be just dreaming about it.

  10. #9370
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan22 View Post
    ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is a lot of fun. Love it. But Yuzu doesn't have an SNS account, which might make it a bit hard for others to nominate him.
    We'll just have to wait and see. The challenge has already hit the Cricket Club!

  11. #9371
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Pamina~ View Post
    Also, that makes it much less OT for me to post an essay I've stumbled upon recently: So You Want To Learn Japanese. Reason two and three are a bit blah, but the first part had me in tears
    (and before anybody gets ready to stone me for "making fun of" a foreign language/culture [which I'm not], please realize that I had pretty much the same reaction to Mark Twain's remarks regarding The Awful German Language.)
    This was funny :D
    You know we have a book called "Japanisch - Sprache des Teufels?" (I don't know if there's an english version of it but translated it means "japanese - language of the devil?")
    Actually it's kind of funny, because I succeded in learning japanese and still can't speak french.... (Which i started to learn way before japanese!)

  12. #9372
    Hate fake smiles and horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    North of the world
    Posts
    3,722
    Another interview translation from 311mi tumblr, I will just post the link here, this time it's an old interview, in 2012. Yuzuru talked about how his mother and family supported him to continue skating after the Earthquake:
    http://311mi.tumblr.com/post/9492958...ack-on-the-ice
    All credit to 311mi tumblr.

  13. #9373
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Chiba, Japan
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Pamina~ View Post
    You have no idea how much I love you people for this translation nitpicking I'm always happy when there's more than one translation for any interview.
    Also, that makes it much less OT for me to post an essay I've stumbled upon recently: So You Want To Learn Japanese. Reason two and three are a bit blah, but the first part had me in tears


    Kiss & Never Cry, Pamina

    Actually, Japanese pronunciation is not so difficult, and the complicated grammer means that people do not mind the order of words so much in a sense. (It is my feeling that the order of words is more important in English.) You can even omit the subject term (I, you, he ....)!

    The number of Hiragana is just around 50, and same for Katakana.
    It's OK to memorize only 100 letters with some simple Kanji characters that Japanese children study at elementary school.

    Even Japanese do not remember such huge number of Kanji all, memorizing 10 and forgetting, say, 7 at the same time

    Actually, most Japanese are always desparately lost in the level of "How to Master English Conversation in 10 Days". You Europeans seem to be bilingual, or multilingual. I envy you. In Japan, people who speak Osaka dialect and Standard Japanese may be called bilinguals (just joking).

    Anyway, no Japanese have mastered Japanese language, I think. We make mistakes in the grammer or writing Kanji everyday. So, no afraid or hesitation to come into the exciting world of Japanese !

    見られてなんぼ Mirarete nanbo. There is no show without the viewers (Thank you Sorrento !)

    笑われてなんぼ Warawarete nanbo. It is nothing to be laughed at, or embarrasment even helps you (when learning a foreign language).

    I will make this my motto in learning English

    As Yuzuru's interview is very logical and his voice is clear, it is good for you to learn Japanese, I think.

  14. #9374
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    200
    SuzyQ ありがとうございます。i will keep that motto in mind in learning your language as well. I agree that the news clips and interviews of Yuzu are a good way to practice one's comprehension of the grammar

  15. #9375
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    138
    Hi everybody, just a quick thanks for all the clips and interviews! Real life is so busy now, so I don't have time to check out tumblr etc., and it's really nice finding the clips here. :-)

    Time is flying by, I cannot believe the JGPs are about to start already, and soon Yuzuru Hanyu will be back in competitions, too. Yay!

Page 625 of 679 FirstFirst ... 125 525 575 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 675 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •