Page 93 of 571 FirstFirst ... 43 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 143 193 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 8565

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

  1. #1381
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by wxunxx View Post
    Actually that's a may not a must. So we will see what's going on next season. But I'm sure Yuzuru desperately want to put three quads in his free program. He insisted couple times before.
    Yes, I'm aware of that, that's why I wrote 'should expect' instead of 'will definitely see'. But, I'd rather him not include a third type of quad as learning it will exert a lot of physical strain on his body and require a lot of time, not to mention he has yet to get his quad sal consistent.

  2. #1382
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    581
    I'm sorry the clip Kalina was referring to in her post #557 is not available anymore.

    http://www.goldenskate.com/2011/04/s...g-for-the-top/

    In Sendai, Hanyu used to train only two hours a day on the average and he didn’t do off-ice training. ”I just want to focus on the training in a short time,” he noted. “I have school, too. Also, I have asthma and I’m not so strong physically,” he revealed. Hanyu is attending the same high school as Takeshi Honda and Shizuka Arakawa who also came from Sendai. His favorite subjects in school are math and science. Later, he would like to study sports science and physiology.

  3. #1383
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by zydeco88 View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of that, that's why I wrote 'should expect' instead of 'will definitely see'. But, I'd rather him not include a third type of quad as learning it will exert a lot of physical strain on his body and require a lot of time, not to mention he has yet to get his quad sal consistent.
    He said once he would like to succeed three kinds of quads in competitions at postgame interview of Japanese nationals 2012.
    I don't think he will try quad loop now but I'm so sure he will try it while he's physically strong enough in the future. Yuzuru just never stop challenging himself, I'm happy with it but also a little worried. Sigh. I'm much more like his mother not fans lol.

  4. #1384
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by giulia95 View Post
    In Sendai, Hanyu used to train only two hours a day on the average and he didn’t do off-ice training. ”I just want to focus on the training in a short time,” he noted. “I have school, too. Also, I have asthma and I’m not so strong physically,” he revealed.
    I was quite surprised that he didn't do off-ice training in Sendai. No wonder why he was so exhausted after the program. I don't know about other countries but here in America even from Juvenile (or even lower level), skaters do off-ice traning to increase their stamina, improve their core strength, strenthen muscle, and etc. All these off ice trainings, of course, is to prevent sports injuries eventually.
    Yuzu is not the only one with asthma. Chalie White is also a skater with asthma. I see him having a hard time to breathe after the program many times. However, Davis/White are known for really hard workers, too.

  5. #1385
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    581
    Quote Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
    I was quite surprised that he didn't do off-ice training in Sendai. No wonder he was so exhausted after the program. I don't know about other countries but here in America even from Juvenile (or even lower level), skaters do off-ice traning to increase their stamina, improve their core strength, strenthen muscle, and etc. All these off ice trainings, of course, is to prevent sports injuries eventually.
    Yuzu is not the only one with asthma. Chalie White is also a skater with asthma. I see him having a hard time to breathe after the program many times. However, Davis/White are known for really hard workers, too.
    There are many different levels of severity related to asthma so that you can't compare yourself to others.

    Then Charlie is a MAN , while Yuzuru is a very thin kid and it's the asthma which sets his body resistance and not vice versa.

  6. #1386
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by wxunxx View Post
    He said once he would like to succeed three kinds of quads in competitions at postgame interview of Japanese nationals 2012.
    I don't think he will try quad loop now but I'm so sure he will try it while he's physically strong enough in the future. Yuzuru just never stop challenging himself, I'm happy with it but also a little worried. Sigh. I'm much more like his mother not fans lol.
    I read the transcript of that interview as well. He actually said that he'd like to include 3 types of quads next season. Oh well, he was just being his usual ambitious self, I guess. XD For sure, he will add more types of quads to his technical arsenal in the future, but it's best not to go with this idea next season. He and of course his team need to focus on strategizing what works best for him at the moment in order to win.

  7. #1387
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    36
    3 quads I don't know if he is physically strong enough to take on that challenge but surely the only thing he is thinking is "If Javi can do it, so can I"

  8. #1388
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by zydeco88 View Post
    I read the transcript of that interview as well. He actually said that he'd like to include 3 types of quads next season. Oh well, he was just being his usual ambitious self, I guess. XD For sure, he will add more types of quads to his technical arsenal in the future, but it's best not to go with this idea next season. He and of course his team need to focus on strategizing what works best for him at the moment in order to win.
    Remember that one article where his future goals were to land all quads, including 4A and to win the next 2 olympics? LOL LOL LOL, it's obviously old because since then he said the next Olympics won't be his main focus it will probably be the one after Sochi. Kid I love you but that is ridiculous However, I still believe that if anyone is going to land a 4A it will be Yuzu. Party on!

  9. #1389
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by giulia95 View Post
    There are many different levels of severity related to asthma so that you can't compare yourself to others.

    Then Charlie is a MAN , while Yuzuru is a very thin kid and it's the asthma which sets his body resistence and not vice versa.
    Yes, all are different. You cannot compare to others. But Charlie was once a kid too. Unless he suddenly got asthma in adulthood (is it possible?), he has been with asthma all through his skating career (and he has skated since he was 5 years old)

    I don't know how serious Yuzu's asthma is. I know a person who has a quite bad asthma. She gasps for breath even when she talks. But if it's that serious, I don't think he was able to handle all this tough training so far.

    He has the people who care about him, especially his mom. (I read or heard that his mom stays with him in Canada). If a situation is really serious, his mom will stop him (or coach) from training hard. That's what I would do.

  10. #1390
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by zydeco88 View Post
    I read the transcript of that interview as well. He actually said that he'd like to include 3 types of quads next season. Oh well, he was just being his usual ambitious self, I guess. XD For sure, he will add more types of quads to his technical arsenal in the future, but it's best not to go with this idea next season. He and of course his team need to focus on strategizing what works best for him at the moment in order to win.
    Yes Yuzuru's famous of being sooooooooo ambitious lol, and I remember Daisuke and Mura both laughed after Yuzuru said that three types of quads thing LOL.
    I believe he and his team will absolutely be realistic and arrange a perfect plan to deal with Sochi season, it's gonna be another tough season though.

  11. #1391
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by giulia95 View Post
    There are many different levels of severity related to asthma so that you can't compare yourself to others.
    Then Charlie is a MAN , while Yuzuru is a very thin kid and it's the asthma which sets his body resistence and not vice versa.
    We actually don't have a clear-cut idea wrt the severity of his asthma. I think it's the combination of his asthma, lack of stamina (which might be due to the lack of strength training in the past) and body size that causes him to run out of gas at the end of his FS programs. I think there's a direct correlation between body size and lung capacity? People with smaller body size seem to have less lung capacity, hence the reduced ability of the respiratory system to supply more oxygen to body tissue during sustained physical activities.

  12. #1392
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    2,188
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    I think the quad combo is more of a wow factor with the way CoP is structured now, well at least in the SP. For the short program at least, Hanyu's jump base value with the 4T, 3A(x), 3Lz-3T(x) is 30.76. If he went for 4T-3T, 3A(x), and 3Lz(x), his base value for jumps would be 30.35.
    It has been discussed a lot in the Edge and competition threads that CoP doesn't reward a quad combo enough. I won't go now into why this system was introduced considering when it was introduced. But the fact is that now a quad combo gives you the chance to perform the same quad one more time, like 4T and then 4T-3T(or 2T), or 4S and then 4S-3T(or 2T). So it does make sense to incude a quad combo and not just as a wow factor. Another question is who can do two quads in SP from top athletes. Probably Plu could pull it (before).
    Quote Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
    So I think that we will see a quad toe-triple toe combo in Yuzu's program. I hope he will keep his Triple Axel-triple toe combo. It's really a beauty.
    You can't have a 4T-3T and 3A-3T in the same prog. I mean you can, but the second combo will count as invalid element.
    Quote Originally Posted by wxunxx View Post
    Yuzuru has a history of overtraining himselfissue,
    Due to overtaining himself, Yuzuru injuried himself couple of times before even he's career just about to start, fatigue fracture, avulsion fracture and frequent low back pain. And now Jumper's knee./B}
    Thanks for the information you keep bringing. If it's all true (keep in mind that I learned to trust 100% only video/radio interviews of skaters/coaches rather than media or pigeon post's twitter), then it means that his current coach is completely out of the control. And the way how he keeps putting all the responsibility of the failure season on the skater's shoulders only confirms that he is unfit for this job.
    Quote Originally Posted by zydeco88 View Post
    I don't think it has been done in a competition before? But I've seen a video of Plushenko attempting the combination before and it seems that he successfully landed it in practice back in 2010.
    No, no one did it in the competition before. Plu indeed challanged it in practice in 2009, the second jump would be << under the current system, at least on this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NJO6Pw1pI

  13. #1393
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,438
    Quote Originally Posted by zydeco88 View Post
    We actually don't have a clear-cut idea wrt the severity of his asthma. I think it's the combination of his asthma, lack of stamina (which might be due to the lack of strength training in the past) and body size that causes him to run out of gas at the end of his FS programs. I think there's a direct correlation between body size and lung capacity? People with smaller body size seem to have less lung capacity, hence the reduced ability of the respiratory system to supply more oxygen to body tissue during sustained physical activities.
    Size doesn't always indicate lung capacity. I think of someone like Rudy Galindo, who was pretty small for a pairs skater, and he was splendid. Also, many ladies skaters are very tiny, and women have less lung capacity as a rule than comparably conditioned men.

    Of course the asthma complicates matters. But it's the lack of off-ice conditioning that probably causes the most problems, because it affects not just stamina but strength. If you have to use more power to rotate your jumps, you are not being energy-efficient. I know that a lot of skaters do things such as Pilates (which is known for building core strength) and weight training. Even if the Sendai rink could only spare Yuzuru two hours a day, he could have found a way to do some other kind of conditioning. I hope Brian is able to rectify this lack.

    Interestingly, I found a used book about how to skate by Maribel Vinson Owen. It's very old and dates from a time when there weren't a lot of indoor rinks around. She had a sentence in there about how to train for skating if you didn't have access to a rink! These days, with our more knowledgeable trainers, there's probably a lot that can be done to build stamina and even compensate for lung problems. Yoga, for example, centers on breathing. I hope Yuzuru figures all this out so that skating isn't a misery for him.

  14. #1394
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by HelTra91 View Post
    3 quads I don't know if he is physically strong enough to take on that challenge but surely the only thing he is thinking is "If Javi can do it, so can I"
    I think you nailed it.

    Thank you everyone for the information!

  15. #1395
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    206
    I read in an article published after Worlds (in japanese) that he's had asthma since he was 3 years old and that he takes medication for it twice a day. Unfortunately I can't find it anymore, but perhaps wxunxx can? (thank you for joining, by the way, I've been reading you... I was hoping you'd start writing here too, I'm glad you did)

    I'm sorry because I'm probably stating the obvious, but I'm pretty sure that being 18 years old (and a half) qualifies someone as a young adult, not a kid. As in, someone who's almost, if not completely finished growing physically, someone who can get married and start a family, who can vote etc.
    Besides that, I won't comment on his health, because I can only take what he says for granted, can't I? I'm a student of foreign languages, not medicine; I'm not his mother, nor his sister, nor his coach. The closest I've ever been to him in my whole life, physically, was when he competed at the JGP in Merano, but I didn't even know he existed I don't see him train every day, I don't know what he does besides those few minutes I see him compete or train in tv clips. As such, I can't pretend to know more than he does, or the people that are around him do. How could I? As a fan, I can only hope he takes care of himself, but if he doesn't, well, it's his life, his career, his choices. He's old enough, I'd say.

Page 93 of 571 FirstFirst ... 43 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 143 193 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •