Mirai's long program | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Mirai's long program

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Why is something telling me that she should try Jason and Yuka for coaches if this year doesnt work out for her?

I'm not a fan of changing coaches every two years or going from coach to coach looking for a magic fix. It doesn't matter who coaches Mirai if she doesn't do the work. Yes, she's had growth/injury issues, but by her own admission she has work ethic issues. Frank has also confirmed it. All of the talent in the world won't get you there if you don't do the work (see Nicole Bobek).

I don't think Sarah Kawahara has any interest in doing CoP choreography.

macy

Record Breaker
i agree that Mirai's LP is very boring. She doesn't perform it well and I do think the choreography is boring, the dress isn't very good for the music, and the music just isn't for her.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
i agree that Mirai's LP is very boring. She doesn't perform it well and I do think the choreography is boring, the dress isn't very good for the music, and the music just isn't for her.

I think her LP costume is not the best for her body type. I believe that if she works hard enough and really learns her program, it will be a very good program for her.

If she is not willing to work, why not quit? Changing the coach will not get anyone anywhere, if a person does not have the right attitude towards working hard.

Last edited:

lantern_bearer

Rinkside
A more mature Mirai?

I have heard Mirai state in interviews that she wants to be seen as a more mature skater this year. I can only think that this is what is behind her music choice, costume and "ice-queen" demeanor. Trouble is (I agree with others) that so far this season she hasn't really been able to pull it off. Mirai can bring an incredibly charismatic and infectious smile, speed, lightness and energy to her skating. She brings none of that to this program and I feel that she is ignoring her greatest strengths in an misguided attempt at "maturity". From the subtle music to the minimalist costume to the stone faced delivery none of it suits her. Mirai should be skating to something upbeat and with a character to allow her to really shine.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Personally I think the program is fine, if not a standout. She's just getting into it slowly. After the mistakes in Canada, she was extra-careful in China and it paid off with a silver medal. What's so bad about that?

Most of Mirai's past programs have been pretty average, IMO - it's not the choreography but her performance that has lifted them up. Unless all the bad reaction gets her to drop it, I suspect she'll come to life as she gets more secure with it.

I actually think the throwback to a bravura Bolshoi style could be fun, and show off Mirai's leggy young ballerina look - but it does need to be performed with abandon.

I agree with this. I liked her Carmen program but it wasn't amazing. However, her effusive performance at nationals and the Olympics made it look better than it was. That year, her performances during the GP weren't great and I remembered being amazed at the difference between the GP series and Nationals. I remember thinking, "What did Frank tell this girl?" Probably, it simply came down to training. she was so well trained for Nationals and the Olympics that she could pull out a fun performance in addition to paying attention to the elements.

Didn't Mirai say that it was she who chose her music this year? I can't remember if it was the long or the short program that she was referring too.

Lori probably has too many students. She is obviously a great choreographer but it must be difficult to keep coming up with something new and interesting year after year for so many skaters. I wouldn't mind seeing Mirai work with someone new for at least one of her programs. But I don't know if Frank works with other choreographers.

Jtsmith12

On the Ice
I agree with Jaanna. If Mirai is not willing to train hard or work hard why not just take a break ? I don't understand why some of you are pushing for Rachael to retire when it seems to me that Rachael has a great work ethic and seems to work very hard. So she had a bad grand prix season so what ? What skater hasn't had a bad season in their career ? Mirai is so naturally talented but if she doesn't want to work for than what's the point ? Sorry this may be unpopular opinion, but I just don't understand why some of you rag so hard on Rachael who may not be naturally talented like Mirai but she seems to have a better work ethic and attitude towards training than Mirai. Wereas Mirai she's only a good skater when she wants to be. I want both Mirai and Rachael to have a good showing at Nationals and prove their nay sayers wrong.

gottadance

On the Ice
rachel vs Mirai situation

I agree with Jaanna. If Mirai is not willing to train hard or work hard why not just take a break ? I don't understand why some of you are pushing for Rachael to retire when it seems to me that Rachael has a great work ethic and seems to work very hard. So she had a bad grand prix season so what ? What skater hasn't had a bad season in their career ? Mirai is so naturally talented but if she doesn't want to work for than what's the point ? Sorry this may be unpopular opinion, but I just don't understand why some of you rag so hard on Rachael who may not be naturally talented like Mirai but she seems to have a better work ethic and attitude towards training than Mirai. Wereas Mirai she's only a good skater when she wants to be. I want both Mirai and Rachael to have a good showing at Nationals and prove their nay sayers wrong.

I think the reason people are fed up with Rachel still goes back to the issue of her competing when she shouldnt have at Worlds and probably costing the US that important 3rd skater for this year's worlds. Also with the move to college it seems she is badly out of shape and again she is taking up Grand Prix spots that , in her present condition , she doesnt deserve . I agree the LP of Mirai is a snooze fest and seems totally unsuited to Mirai. I am thinking that Jeff Buttle would be a superb choreopgrapher - his musicality , intelligence would be a great asset - does anybody know if he is doing choreography for top skaters these days?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Like you, I hate seeing people pick on Rachel because they see her as an obstacle for one of their favorite skaters (especially when the attacks become about her looks and body type). I personally like Rachel a lot, but I think most people don't connect with her as a performer. Mirai has the intangibles that draw people in and (usually) more interesting choreography. I could see Mirai's work ethic possibly being affected by the frustration of being stuck in this second spot. There isn't any way for her to beat a clean Alyssa, whereas Mirai would have to tank to finish 3rd or lower.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the reason people are fed up with Rachel still goes back to the issue of her competing when she shouldnt have at Worlds and probably costing the US that important 3rd skater for this year's worlds. Also with the move to college it seems she is badly out of shape and again she is taking up Grand Prix spots that , in her present condition , she doesnt deserve.

Rachael EARNED her GP invitations with her Seasons Best rating (#8) and ISU World Standing (top 10 as of last season). Skate Canada and Cup of Russia CHOSE her to skate at their events.

By your rationale, then Paul / Islam (CAN) didn't "deserve" their GP slots either, since they finished last in their first event and would have finished last in their second if they hadn't withdrawn because of an injury incurred during FD practice.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Like you, I hate seeing people pick on Rachel because they see her as an obstacle for one of their favorite skaters (especially when the attacks become about her looks and body type). I personally like Rachel a lot, but I think most people don't connect with her as a performer. Mirai has the intangibles that draw people in and (usually) more interesting choreography. I could see Mirai's work ethic possibly being affected by the frustration of being stuck in this second spot. There isn't any way for her to beat a clean Alyssa, whereas Mirai would have to tank to finish 3rd or lower.
Sure Mirai won't beat Alissa if she continues to skate with very little energy or life but a clean Mirai can beat a clean Alissa but she has to go out and want it. No skating cautiously or with very little speed or just skating through the music. If MiraI could skate like she did at 4CC she can beat Alissa. Heck she beat Alissa in the SP at Nationals last year.

brightphoton

Medalist
Rachael EARNED her GP invitations with her Seasons Best rating (#8) and ISU World Standing (top 10 as of last season). Skate Canada and Cup of Russia CHOSE her to skate at their events.

Are you Rachael's mom? What does it matter if she EARNED her spot on paper?

I don't think you understand that Rachael skated embarrassingly poorly at her GP events.

That's like saying, Alissa Czisny EARNED her 2009 World's spot due to her first place at 2009 Nationals. Thus it's TOTALLY OKAY that she skated the way she did and you guys should STOP BEING MEEEEEEEEAN.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Are you Rachael's mom? What does it matter if she EARNED her spot on paper?

I don't think you understand that Rachael skated embarrassingly poorly at her GP events.

That's like saying, Alissa Czisny EARNED her 2009 World's spot due to her first place at 2009 Nationals. Thus it's TOTALLY OKAY that she skated the way she did and you guys should STOP BEING MEEEEEEEEAN.

OK let's say Rachael withdrew from her events. Who would fill in for her instead? And how would that person do?

For heaven sake's people are acting like she finished last at World Championships or she didn't qualify for the free skate. She still finished 12th out of 44th skaters. Sonia Lafuente got a GP event and she didn't even qualify for the free skate at Worlds. And she scored an 86.81 at her FS. (Rachel scored 94.27 at COR) So is she an embarrassment to the sport too? Should she have not bothered to compete?

If Rachael wasn't last, someone else would be. Finishing last at an invitational event is not an indication that person is a terrible skater and should be banned for the sport. It indicates she is struggling among the elites.

I get that some of you don't like Rachael's skating that's fine. But to say she didn't deserve the right to compete is not right. At least she wants to be there, struggles and all.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If MiraI could skate like she did at 4CC she can beat Alissa. Heck she beat Alissa in the SP at Nationals last year.

Mirai has a history of being first in the SP then bombing the FS. I'm not sure if it's due to a lack of competitive spirit, or just poor stamina from insufficient/inefficient practice.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anyway, with that said, let's go back to Mirai....

Let's talk packaging. Like many of you, I absolutely despite that blue dress. If they were going for a toga-like look, it should be white, not baby blue! But in any case, I agree with many of you that cut is not flattering at all and makes her look bigger than she really is. I think she would do really well with maybe a a a-line one shoulder ensemble.

Despite the fact she's not doing well this year--I do like Cynthia Phaneuf's outfits and think they could work on Mirai with modifications.

Any ideas?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyway, with that said, let's go back to Mirai....

Let's talk packaging. Like many of you, I absolutely despite that blue dress. If they were going for a toga-like look, it should be white, not baby blue! But in any case, I agree with many of you that cut is not flattering at all and makes her look bigger than she really is. I think she would do really well with maybe a a a-line one shoulder ensemble.

Despite the fact she's not doing well this year--I do like Cynthia Phaneuf's outfits and think they could work on Mirai with modifications.

Any ideas?
I'm not fond of the light blue dress, either. It doesn't seem to go with the Spartacus theme. Both Michelle and Ann Patrice McDonough wore red to skate to that music. Michelle's dress had kind of a gladiator theme, as I recall. I think Mirai needs a stronger color for her costume and she needs to work the ancient Rome theme a little more. And she should ditch the boot covers!

As for the program itself, I don't like the choreography. Mirai has some beautiful moves--her spiral, her Ina Bauer and her spread-eagle in particular--but I don't think Lori has done anything to maximize their impact. I think that Lori is, consciously or subconsciously, trying to avoid copying Michelle's choreography at 2005 Nationals where her spiral sequence started at exactly the right note of the music. The cut of the music is also not the best. Maybe Spartacus works better as a short program.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, It seems more folks do not like the music, the choreo and agree the costume is what the heck? They can tweak the choreo and get a better dress. There could be deep emerald green with gold braid with matching braid ribbon through her hair to give her some eye appeal if they don't want red. I think she should wear red. She looks fabulous in red. Will any of this fix her training ethic, no, but at least it looks like someone gave her Lp more than a half hour of thought this year. I know she can lose weight by nationals so her jumps are lighter.

I think Rachael has tons of natural talent...her 2010 SP was delightful and not easy at all. I think she does a beautiful job with East of Eden. I think she shoud quit when she is ready, but i believe we have seen her best skates already. Look at Sarah Hughes after her OLY gold. She was a shadow of Olympic Sarah, with weight gain, not enough training. The best skaters show us how incredibly difficult it is to get to elite level and stay there. There are skaters to step into RF's place. Ashley Wagner for one.

In America, we simply were spoiled by phenom konsistent Kwan. We expect everyone to compete like she did. It's kind of unfair to all the ladies of the last 6 years.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
I think Mirai would do well with a costume that avoided obvious horizontal lines- diagonals and vertical lines are much more elongating. Something about her current costume strangely makes her look shorter than she is, though I can't quite put my finger on it. It could be the draped and loose way the chiffon is rouched. Perhaps the fabric itself makes her look stockier. I also think the skirt needs to be a tad longer.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nagasu's freeskate IS a snoozer, though. Or at least that's the way she skated it in Canada. (China, although better than SC, still wasn't her best.) If she is not going to change it at this point, at least try to inject some life into it. Nagasu does not pull off the serious, methodic skater off at all, she comes off flat and boring. Instead, she needs a lighter, more charming piece. I point to her 2010 FS as an example of something that worked really well for her- when she did it like it should be done. THAT is her strength, and this program uses zero of it. Although, I must say if she simply wanted to experiment with different styles, this is the right season to do so before the Olympics draw near...

I think the reason people are fed up with Rachel still goes back to the issue of her competing when she shouldnt have at Worlds and probably costing the US that important 3rd skater for this year's worlds.

Hmm, nope, I disagree. The Rachel bash-fest was going on well before the Worlds fiasco, but said incident just intensified it. I must say though that she really did deserve the heat that came her way from it because it really was poor judgment on her part, but we won't re-hash that...

It's true that Americans were (and still are) spoiled by Kwan. Cohen got the "inconsistent" label in Kwan's shadow when in today's skating atmosphere, she'd fit right in. I mean, every up-and-coming US skater that shows promise is immediately compared to Kwan (among others) and that's a LOT of pressure to live up to. But beside the point is the building frustration from American fans that the ladies just can't get it done any more...we used to get medals basically every year...now we haven't gotten one in 5 years (and the way the Americans are skating now, looks like it could be 6).

macy

Record Breaker
i agree with jaanna. If mirai is not willing to train hard or work hard why not just take a break ? I don't understand why some of you are pushing for rachael to retire when it seems to me that rachael has a great work ethic and seems to work very hard. So she had a bad grand prix season so what ? What skater hasn't had a bad season in their career ? Mirai is so naturally talented but if she doesn't want to work for than what's the point ? Sorry this may be unpopular opinion, but i just don't understand why some of you rag so hard on rachael who may not be naturally talented like mirai but she seems to have a better work ethic and attitude towards training than mirai. Wereas mirai she's only a good skater when she wants to be. I want both mirai and rachael to have a good showing at nationals and prove their nay sayers wrong.

ita