Thread: Practice Reports

Hybrid View

Tripping on the Podium

Practice Reports

I'm hoping someone has some practice reports from senior ladies...very interested to see how it pans out...I haven't heard a thing about Charbonneau so she's got my curiosity going. Najarro is one of the favourites here as well as Osmond and it's going to be interesting to see who holds it together. I was also surprised to see Jessica Dube competing here. I thought she was concentrating on pairs. I don't think any one of the above mentioned has all five triples? Can't wait 'til nationals!!!
    Last edited by mariposa; 12-01-2011 at 12:38 PM.

We can jump right to the competition...

Just peek in for several ladies' short programs.
    Najarro had a disasterous one, popped one and felt on another triple, single the axel 33+pt.
    Kaleigh Hole was more than heart-breaking by her MJ, no jump with 2 falls on take-off. Like her speed across the ice though.
    Jessica Dube had a small step out on 3lz-2t with 2s, 2a and beautiful skating as usual.

I wonder whether the ice surface was too hard during the first couple groups, several skaters had skits here and there, especially for those with good speed.

Charbonneau looked smooth but slow to me, didn't watch her program all the way, but definitely not a good one from her, fell on an under-rotated jump.
    Last edited by gopatrick; 12-03-2011 at 12:44 AM.

Medalist
    I think Kaleigh's was the most heartbreaking program I've ever seen :( Wow.

Wondering if anyone watching knows who is in 1st at present - I know it's not quite done. I'm too impatient to wait for results to be posted

Medalist
    With one flight to go:

1. Jessica Dube
    2. Kaetlyn Osmond
    3. Kate Charbonneau

Scores have been in the 30's and 40's. On the whole, lots of splats, not many completed triples.

Custom Title
    The SP is over and Alexandra Gagnon won. She had a relatively clean program although the landings of her jumps were just a wee bit too low. She landed lutz and loop. BTW, she could go to JW this year.

Overall the SPs were poorly skated. Hope for better in the free.

On the Ice
    Thanks for your report. Does that mean that Najarro won't qualify for Nationals? That's shocking. How many of the skaters get to go?

Quote Originally Posted by gopatrick View Post
    We can jump right to the competition...

Just peek in for several ladies' short programs.
    Najarro had a disasterous one, popped one and felt on another triple, single the axel 33+pt.
    Kaleigh Hole was more than heart-breaking by her MJ, no jump with 2 falls on take-off. Like her speed across the ice though.
    Jessica Dube had a small step out on 3lz-2t with 2s, 2a and beautiful skating as usual.

I wonder whether the ice surface was too hard during the first couple groups, several skaters had skits here and there, especially for those with good speed.

Charbonneau looked smooth but slow to me, didn't watch her Swan program all the way, but definitely not a good one from her, fell on an under-rotated jump.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by martipellow2 View Post
    Thanks for your report. Does that mean that Najarro won't qualify for Nationals? That's shocking. How many of the skaters get to go?
    Assuming that Samson will not show up at nationals, the top 15 ( 18 - the byed skaters ( Phaneuf, Lacoste , Desantis ) ) will go to nationals. Samson does have a direct bye to nationals should she choose to show up because of her medal at the last nationals. So if Samson decides to show up for nationals ( unlikely ) only the top 14 go through.

Najarro is in 29th after the short, about 6 points behind 15th place. Big movements are possible as the ladies are all inconsistent. But Najarro would have to have an amazing FS to get in the top 15.

I was very impressed by Kaleigh's fought-back performance this afternoon.
    Even though she just landed three (sounds a lot in canadian ladies already) easy triples in her Tango program, she had great flow and speed in and out. She has very smooth stroking and is able to accelerate effortlessly. If she can find the consistency of the timing and techic on her jumps, we might have another Kostner. Frankly, I looked into her LP just for the curiosity what might follow a heart-breaking SP, but she turned me into a fan. Good luck in the years to come!

Najarro had a better effort than her LP. She's a beautiful skate but still struggling with the jumps somewhat, fell on 3F then popped a loop.

You really don't know what will turn out at the end on the slippery ice.
    Last edited by gopatrick; 12-03-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: miscounted

Custom Title
    Gopatrick
    I read your post and just watched Kaleigh long program. I am impressed. She got another fan.
    Last edited by katia; 12-03-2011 at 07:25 PM.