Attn: skating moms and dads! | Golden Skate

Attn: skating moms and dads!

MF2010

Spectator
It's so lovely to read what moms and dads write about their wonderful talented daughters or sons.
It's great that you support us, and we will forever be greatful ....

Personally, Im a bit disappointed reading a thread about who made the Olympic team and who didn't.
Can parents get a different perspective PLEASE!

It's great to defend your skater, but seriously... You don't need to talk down other skaters, who have put just as much time or probably even more time than your own skater did in their life career. No one has the right to say someone deserves to go to the Olympics more than him/her/they do.
We all work hard, pay the expenses, and put in the time and effort to get that far.

I'm sorry to say but (most)parents have no idea what it's like to be in our position. You don't know what its like it to kick your own butt 10 months out of the year(physically and mentally). you don't know what it's like to succeed and fail, and have that self disappointment after such failure. You don't know what it's like to train in a freezing cold rink everyday, and to push yourself to get out there and to start doing what you've been doing after such a crash.

I think parents need to forget about thinking 'o my child has worked this long and spent this much money.... Blah blah blah' cuz guess what... We all did that too.
Given some skaters have it pretty nice when they actually have the money to spend, but talking within pair skating... Most of the skaters don't.

There are the gifted talented skaters that shine more than the others. And I know that parents want to believe that their own is one of these skaters... But to tell you the truth, there really aren't that many of them out there.
And most of them are not competing. Yeah sure a 14 yr old can do whatever you tell them to do, if they're trained well.
Patrick chan, amazing skater, super talented. Looks good in BOTH aspects of skating technically and artistically. He might not have to work as hard to get that effortlessness on the ice.
Yuna Kim, same thing.

They also came out at the right time to succeed so well.

Pair skaters.... The team is only as good as the weakest link.
There are wonderful skaters that are super talented that can't find the perfect partner to get to such greatness. And having teams that break up and get together and break up again, doesnt help anything. Especially when the kid hasn't matured as a skater yet.

The skating world sucks!
What to be, what not to be. What I'm supposed to look like, and what I can't say.
How many steps get me a level 4? How many legs can't pull over my head at once? Don't forget to go the chiropractor on your way home from the rink.... O wait, that's another expense to the list.
Not to mention a few years ago the USOC health ins. would cover sports related injuries.... What?
Get out of here!

Ha!

Anyway, sorry I veered off subject, talking other skaters down just makes "your" skater look bad.

Don't take it personal people, it's a generalization.

*think positive, make positive*

Mattieu

Medalist
So true.
Everything in skating is so damned difficult, balancing work/school vs skating/finding the right boots/costumes/trainer/music/partner/funding, permanent aches, pains and injuries, fatigue, competition stress and worst of all the politics.
No-one has it easier than anyone else. Everyone has to slog hours in freezing cold rinks at great expense.
Winning medals is more like the survival of the fittest, rather than the most talented!
So stop and think before you criticize other skaters, they've suffered enough without you adding to their misery.