A good interview with Dai-chan on JapanSkates.com | Golden Skate

A good interview with Dai-chan on JapanSkates.com

Dai always sounds so lovable and impressive in his interviews -- ever humble, hard-working, and seeking to improve. It sounds like he thinks there is room for improvement in both his programs this year. Is that possible!?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link! Love the interview!

Could you tell me the reason why you call Daisuke "Dai-Chan"? Does "Chan" mean "San" in Japanese? At first, I thought this was a interview on two skaters Dasuke and Patrick Chan.:)

prettykeys

Medalist
What a lovely person he is.

This made me laugh:
JS: Japan Skates always asks this question: What was the funniest gift ever thrown onto the ice for you?

DT: It's hard to say… I'm not sure if I could say, but… "T-back (thong)"! (laughs)
(everyone there laughs)

JS: That's the same answer as Nobu(Nobunari ODA)'s, and Ryo(SHIBATA)'s!

DT: (laughs) (in English:) "…but, not sexy one! A NORMAL T-back!"
*Google Image searching t-back thongs to see what a non-sexy one might look like*

claphappy

On the Ice
Thanks for the link! Love the interview!

Could you tell me the reason why you call Daisuke "Dai-Chan"? Does "Chan" mean "San" in Japanese? At first, I thought this was a interview on two skaters Dasuke and Patrick Chan.:)

"chan" like "san" is an honorific, but, while "san" expresses a general respect & is used for most anyone, "chan" is used when the speaker finds someone particularly endearing.

sorcerer

Final Flight
...Could you tell me the reason why you call Daisuke "Dai-Chan"?....At first, I thought this was a interview on two skaters Dasuke and Patrick Chan.:)

Dai-chan, Shi-chan, etc.

Not Dai-Chan with a capital. Surely not Dai getting married to Chan.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

evangeline

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link!

Also, thanks to this interview, I just realized Daisuke has three different choreographers for each of his three programs this season. IIRC, this is not exactly common and I'm so glad Daisuke is willing to explore different facets of his skating this way.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Could you tell me the reason why you call Daisuke "Dai-Chan"? Does "Chan" mean "San" in Japanese?
The Japanese suffix -chan is not only honorific but also diminutive or hypocoristic. It is similar to English suffix-y as in Vicky (from Victoria), Sally (from Sarah), Rosy (from Rosemarie), Jimmy (from Jim), etc. It can be sometimes roughly translated as "little", very similar to Chinese hypocoristic prefix 小 "little". If you know Chinese, just think about calling Patrick Chan 小陳 "Little Chan" and you'll get the idea.

Last edited:
Thanks, skatinginbc. On another site, a friend in the Philippines addressed me by adding -chan to my screen name. (I think she's studying Japanese.) It was very pleasing to be called that, and I was sorry we don't have something like that in English, though of course we have many terms of endearment that we can call on.

I can't remember which TLC'er explained that Daisuke's name should be pronounced with just two syllables, but thanks for that, too, whoever you are. Now I'll be able to sound well informed when I talk about him. And I talk about him a lot, because he's my favorite male skater currently competing.

skatinginbc

Medalist
I can't remember which TLC'er explained that Daisuke's name should be pronounced with just two syllables.
I guess what he/she meant was that it sounds like two syllables (i.e., Dai-ske) to the ear of an English speaker. From a pedantic linguistic point of view, it actually contains four morae: Dá-í-s(ú)-ké. To analyze it as having two syllables violates several Japanese phonological rules (e.g., the absence of diphthongs in Japanese, prohibition of a consonant cluster, etc.). The "two-syllable" explanation, nonetheless, is good enough for non-academic purposes (e.g., for an English speaker who just wants to imitate its native pronunciation).

Note: Japanese is a mora-timed language (in contrast to English, which is a stress-timed language, or French and Spanish, which are syllable-timed languages). Dá-í-s(ú)-ké contains four morae, each taking up one timing unit. When you say it really fast, it sounds almost like "Dai-ske", but there are still very subtle differences between "Dai-ske" and "Da-i-s-ke" (mainly in the length of /i/ and /s/).

Last edited:
Ah. I get it; thanks. Vowel variations in different languages are so interesting. Some English long vowels, especially i and o, are said as diphthongs. Then to me it sounds as if the Australian long o sound has at least three sounds in it that (kind of uh-owe-oo). This is how I figured out that a particular TV personality was Australian and not British. I looked her up, and sure enough, she was originally from Oz.

But for me it's Dai-skay from now on. Go, Dai-chan!

genki

On the Ice
Nick Slater, Euro commentator is famous to say " Daisuki Takahashi" in stead of "Daisuke Takahashi"

Coincidentally, the word "Daisuki" means " love or like very much" in Japanese. So many Japanese fans are smiling whenever Nick says " Daisuki takahashi.", since we know that Nick is really in love with Daisuke's skating.:):)

In the arena, I often heard that English speaking fans were chanting " Daisuke, Daisuki." meaning, " I love Daisuke so much.":):)

Go Dai-chan:thumbsup:

Nick Slater, Euro commentator is famous to say " Daisuki Takahashi" in stead of "Daisuke Takahashi"

Coincidentally, the word "Daisuki" means " love or like very much" in Japanese. So many Japanese fans are smiling whenever Nick says " Daisuki takahashi.", since we know that Nick is really in love with Daisuke's skating.:):)

In the arena, I often heard that English speaking fans were chanting " Daisuke, Daisuki." meaning, " I love Daisuke so much.":):)

Go Dai-chan:thumbsup:

I'll have to remember that! I'd yell it out too, if I were lucky enough to be in an arena where Daisuke were skating before my very eyes. Anyone here who goes to Worlds is officially deputized to cheer extra loudly on my behalf when he comes on. Heck, I also deputize all fans at Japan Nationals! Since my screen name is close to the word I wish to see in gold around his neck in 2014, I feel it my duty to boost him whenever possible.