McCorkell finally looking ahead after flirting with retirement | Golden Skate

McCorkell finally looking ahead after flirting with retirement

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 25-year-old Northern Irish skater reinforced her domestic dominance last week when successfully defending her British crown, extending her lead in the all-time list yet further over six-time winner and 1936 Olympic silver medallist Cecilia Colledge.

More

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I often know nothing of skaters problems, just see their weak results. Kudos to Jenna!

Good luck in Sheffield and all the way to Sochi :clap: And please, bring Kevin with you...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Kevin should have won Skate America this year! He skated so well, and Brezina skated so badly. I'm hoping Kevin will keep going.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Kevin should have won Skate America this year! He skated so well, and Brezina skated so badly. I'm hoping Kevin will keep going.[/QUOTE

I'm so glad someone else feels that way. In the comp. threads it seemed like folks thought nothing of KVDP like he was a 6.0 leftover. I thought he should have won and totally don't understand how Brezina won with such a flawed skate. How do the judges justify that? I just don't understand CoP to know how that happened.

I thought Van der Perren did enough to win, too.

Brezina skated a suburb short program with 3A, 3F+3T and 3z, with big positive GOE on the first two. He went into the long program with a 9-point lead over Kevin and everyone else.

In the short program Brezina totally bombed. He left out the quad on purpose (Van der Perren did a fine one), and his last three jumps were 1Lo, 3Lz<. and 1A. Still his SP lead held up, just barely, and he won by 3.52 points.

His margin of victory came in the Program Componentt Scores. He beat Van der Perren by 5.64 points in PCSs in the LP, despite skating terribly. Some people say that Brezina is musical or something and deserves high PCSs just on general principles. Personally, I don't see any particular connection to the music or anything out of the ordinary in choreography or performance skills for this skater -- and certainly not in this performance.

To me, this shows two flaws in the CoP.

(1) A skater should not be allowed to carry over such an overwhelming point lead that he can (in part deliberately) thumb his nose at the judges and the audience in the LP and still win. If you want the gold, you should have to skate for it no matter what have accomplished previously.

(2) A bad skate should not get higher program component scores than a good skate, no matter how many "bullets" you check off.

JMO. ;)

Edited to add: By the way, under factored placements the final order of finish would have been Van der perren, Kozuka, Brezina, with Van der Perren edging out Kozuka by the tie-breaker.

Coincidentally, their placements are exactly the same as the women's podium at the 2002 Olympics: Hughes (4[SUP]th[/SUP] and 1[SUP]st[/SUP]), Sliutskaya (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]), and Kwan (1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]).

(...the main point of this post being to get to use our "superscript" feature. :) )

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
That is a great article and her persistence and how much she worked cant be but real inspiration. I ll cheer for her at Euros :)

russell30

Final Flight
Glad for Jenna, she is a real inspiration to everyone. I thought she may quit too, but glad to see she is a fighter, changed her whole routine (and group of people) and the motivation and hunger is still there.

I just hope Laura Lepisto can do the same:)