Which skaters have you met? | Golden Skate

Which skaters have you met?

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Exactly as the subject asks... who have you met? I felt with the champion skaters on/off ice thread that this would be something cool for all of us to share.

Me :yay: :
Ryan Bradley (7 times)
Evan Lysacek (4 times)
Jeremy Abbott (twice)
Jonathan Cassar (twice)
Johnny Weir (twice)
Meryl Davis and Charlie White (twice)
Sinead and John Kerr (twice)
Jason Brown
Ashley Cain and Joshua Reagan (doesn't really count LOL bc I know them but yeah)
Christopher Caluza (also doesn't really count cause we are friends)
Nathen Chen
Sasha Cohen
Alissa Czisny
Amanda Evora and Mark Ladwig
Alexe Gilles
Andrew Gonzales (also doesn't really count cause we are friends)
Dorothy Hamill
Scott Hamilton
Rena Inoue and John Baldwin
Tara Lipinski
Alex Johnson
Ilia Kulik
Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker
Keegan Messing(also doesn't really count cause we are friends.... and cause i do his official website and what not)
Brandon Mroz
Dennis Phan
Sean Rabbitt
Jason Wong
Caitlin Yankowskas and John Coughlin

How about you guys? Has anyone met Takahiko Kozuka?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Melissa Gregory
Denis Petukhov
Nick Traxler
Charlotte Maxwell
Naomi Lang
Peter Tchernyshev
Randy Gardner
Scott Hamilton
Kurt Browning
Evan Lysacek
Ryan Bradley
Johnny Weir
Brooke Castile
Amanda & Mark
Caroline Zhang

I'm forgetting people I know I am...

Becki

Medalist
Met all the Sears on Ice cast from last year (minus Tess and Scott) at the Meet and Greet. + Takahiko Kozuka and Miki Ando

That's pretty much it....I've seen Javier, Daisuke and Patrick up-close during their victory lap lol

R.D.

Record Breaker
Depends on how you're going to define "met"...but I'll assume you mean any type of interaction/encounter with them.

Man, to think less than 3 years ago I was busy envying all you guys who got to meet skaters, but now I find my own list has gotten pretty long :eek:

Before last night:

Michael Weiss (2x)
Xue Shen/Hongbo Zhao
Todd Eldredge (2x)
John Zimmerman (3x), Kyoko Ina (together once)
Evan Lysacek
Alyssa Czisny
Sasha Cohen (2x)
Jeremy Abbott
Ben Agosto; Tanith Belbin (not together)
Meryl Davis/Charlie White
Ekaterina Gordeeva
Ashley Wagner
Agnes Zawadzki
Kimmie Meissner (2x)
John & Sinead Kerr
Brian Boitano

Honorable mention: Christine Brennan (I know she is not a skater, but she is affiliated enough with skating that I feel I should mention her here. We briefly talked at the SOI preshow in 2010)

After last night, I can add:

Yuka Sato
Miki Ando
Shizuka Arakawa
Sarah Hughes
Joannie Rochette
Liz Manley
Tara Lipinski
Nancy Kerrigan
Nicole Bobek

Last edited:
Envy, envy, envy!

I met some skaters years ago who are no longer active. One was Ken Shelley, an impressive John Nicks-trained American skater who in 1972 was both the men's singles champion and the pairs champion (along with JoJo Starbuck).

Also years ago, I briefly interviewed twelve-year-old Michelle Kwan over the phone.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I *think* I met Jenny Kirk at Bally's in Culver City, CA a few years back. I left my phone by the machine she was working on and asked her if I could grab it.

ryanbfan

On the Ice
Met all the Sears on Ice cast from last year (minus Tess and Scott) at the Meet and Greet. + Takahiko Kozuka and Miki Ando

That's pretty much it....I've seen Javier, Daisuke and Patrick up-close during their victory lap lol

Omggg jealous you met Taka :bow:

Becki

Medalist
Omggg jealous you met Taka :bow:

Yeah I got his autograph. When I said, "I like your skating so much" to him, he just looked at me and smirked =/ lol but giving him the benefit of the doubt, he was probably just shy or didn't quite hear me...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
^or understand?

I forgot I also had an encounter with Peggy Flemming in 05, she needed to know where to go to meet up with the rest of the crew or something and I told her which way the media door was (the only way I even knew was a friend of mine was a volunteer and she'd litterally just gone on her shift so I knew which way she'd gone lol

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have met so many skaters! (I could name then all but it might take a page and a half) I will admit that I am somewhat of a skater stalker. Anyone who has every been to Skate America in 2005, 2007 or 2009 has seem my wonderful skills at work. It's how I managed to get Scott Hamilton, YuNa Kim, Bryan Orser, Tara Lipinski, Peter Cartuthers and a whole host of others. In fact in 2007 and 2009 I got every skater that was in the competition, both autographs and pictures. I don't discriminate, I get coaches too like John Nicks and Robin Wagner. But the two biggest moments in may skating stalker career were not skaters but coaches.....Meeting Yao Bin (twice). In fact when I asked for a picutre with him at Skate America in 2009, he said to me "wait let me fix my hair." and he proceeded to fix his hair. It was funny. But I have to say the greatest...the biggest and the one that took the most guts to do was....Alexei Mishin! He was very nice by the way and made some jokes and signed a really really long autograph with a picture of a skate and everything.

If anyone is interested in seeing my many many pictures with skaters, you can request me as a friend on facebook becuase that's where I put all my pictures. Inbox me and I will give you my info!

I also met Taka and Daisuke. Both were very nice!!!

sigrid

On the Ice
The first skater I met was 5 years ago, the one and only Stephane Lambiel :) since then I've attended to the 2008 Madrid's JGP event, 3 TEBs in a row (2009-2011) and the 2009 Spanish Nats, meeting a lot of the skaters competing in each of these competitions. (the list would be way too long)
Maybe the most unbelievable one was meeting Yu-Na Kim because I thought she'd be 24/7 surrounded by fans and media, but we got to meet her after a training when she was only with someone from the Korean Fed and she was quite polite and nice.

There are still a few I'd love to meet: Johnny Weir, Daisuke Takahashi, Aliona Savchenko (even going to 2 TEBs where she was, I wasn't able to see her off-ice. Got to meet Robin though) Davis/White, and many more.

verte76

On the Ice
skaters I 'd like to meet.

None but I'd like to meet Sasha Cohen and Alissa Czisny!

Last edited:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
In the summer of 1993 I met Nancy Kerrigan at a signing for (IIRC) Bulova watches - or whatever she was the spokesperson for. I know I still have her autographed photo but I don't know where it is....

When I worked at J Crew in the mid 90s, I met Karen Preston (two-time Canadian ladies champion) - summer of 96 I think, Michelle Kwan - fall '96 (I remember I commented on her Winter program because it was one of my favorite songs), and Karen Kwan (holiday season '97? - I told her I loved her skating style and her programs). Funny story about my encounter with Karen Preston: She seemed bit peeved when I took another customer before her. But when she handed me her credit card and I asked her if she was the Karen Preston who was two-time Canadian champion her whole demeanor changed. I asked her what she was doing in SoCal and what she was working on. She said she was choreographing some programs for a skater - didn't ask who.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
This isn't an actual meeting, but Shae-Lynn Bourne briefly went to my high school while she and her brother were between coaches in the early 90's. That must have been just before she teamed up with Viktor Kratz. For some reason she was a year ahead of me in school even though we were born in the same year :confused: Her picture is in my yearbook :)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So many - especially through SOI and Mike Weiss' shows- most of the casts.

Others at Liberty Summer competition - Armin M. Sean Rabbitt, Ashely Wagner, Patrick Chan, Brian Orser (when he was coaching Adam Rippon), Keegan Messing, Nathan Chen, Amanda & Mark, Samantha Caesario, Melissa Bulanhagui, Joelle Forte, Ross Miner, Steven Carriere, Rocky Marval, Isabelle Brasseur, Lucinda Ruh, Viktor Petrenko ...

If there is one skater I wish we could meet "up close & personal" (whom we haven't already met), it would be Midori Ito! :love:

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Met and talked to (didn't plan to, it just happens):

Jeremy Abbott, who's simply lovely in person and have the most sparkly bluish/greyish eyes with long eye lashes I have ever seen, generous with fans and very sweet. Tall, trim and lanky. Nice.... jeans! :)

Dennis Ten, very nice young man, patient and considerate. Shorter than I expect, infact he looks just like a big kid, but a very cool kid none the less with a few of his mates looking like they have the making of a boy band.

John Zimmerman, handsome and swoon worthy in person even with wife in the background lol! (older than I remember, he reminded me a little bit of Bon Jovi) Again, very lovely and kind.

Why are all skaters so well behaved and lovely? I wonder if there's anyone not well behaved ever?

Skaters up close in person off-ice at WC 2011:

Patrick Chan at the parking lot in trainers and gym outfit, with a bunch of guys talking. Didn't want to bother him, but thought he looks taller in person especially compare with the Japanese guys. I saw him skating live about 6 times all together (including shows), and always thought he is so impressive in person. There's a natural ease and smoothness he carry himself on ice that I didn't think was noticeable enough on on television/youtube.

Alissa Czisny spotted at hotel lounge. Absolutely gorgeous in person. Stunning white teeth (those you only see in tooth paste commercials) and lovely natural smile, she was talking on the phone with someone in the hotel lounge wonder it might be her bf because she couldn't stop smiling.

Kozuka Takahiko
Walked right past me three times at the arena carrying a souvenir pillow talking to someone on the phone and looking lost, I thought it was kind of funny since nobody really take notice, maybe he was alot shorter in person than one would expect. (shorter than me anyway)

Daisuke Takahashi
A real cool dude presence about him. All in black in head band and wild hair and a big rucksack. There were so many ladies with flowers for him at the hotel in two line forming a footpath, but so polite and sweet waiting for him to acknowledge them. Shorter in person than I'd expect but that just makes him even more cooler with his super cool gear that makes him look like a cast from the film FAME!

Arthur Gachinski
Totally Plushy.... can't help but wonder under all that blond hair, there's a secret goth inside, in the way he carry his stature, proud attitude, walk/haste past by everybody with hair flying past him mano-a-mano.

Ksenia MAKAROVA
Stand with coach in the lounge, not sure what, greet everyone? Seems very sweet in person, lots of smiles, but soooo skinny and has small head, don't know why that was my impression.

Tessa Virtue
She was coming on the escalator while I was going down at the Metro. Very bright red lipstick, fair skin, dark hair makes her stood out. I think she might be a sophisticated young lady off-ice, just got a feeling in what she was wearing and how she carry herself.

Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov
On their way to the Pairs competition walked right past me as I leave the arena, I nodded to Yuko and she nodded back and smiled. I guess not too many Asian faces other than those related to the skating event makes you notice the Asian people. Thought she was sweet, and Alexander is pretty good looking in person while Yuko is absolutely tiny.

Miki and Morozov
Relaxed and watching the skating at the bar and not saying much to each other and not touching their salad either. Enough said. :p

Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy
Walked past outside the parking lot as he leaves the arena. Friend went to ask for an autograph and got them.

Mao Asada
Coming off the bus to the hotel, looking really skinny but lovely big round head and big lovely ears. Her ears is something my mother commented the most, they are 'Fu' ears or 'lucky' ears according to the Chinese facial reading, shows this person is blessed and should have a fortunate life. Dragging her own suite case to the Hotel and looking pensive. (It was after her SP)

---------

Yuna Kim, Michelle Kwan, David Wilson at ATS LA Q&A

Yuna is a walking talking naturally charming diplomat-in-waiting splendor. One without the usual facade, embellishment, tutoring, trained answers one would usually associate from the typical diplomat. I am usually a good BS detector, but I remember coming away well impressed with her simple, truthful and incise answers/reactions to some very complicated and sensitive questions. I think that it might be the secret to her success both on and off ice. Yuna cut through the BS and get to the heart of the truth and makes things simple and easy yet somewhat thoughtful and sophisticately done.

Michelle... Oh Michelle! [Insert Beatle song] Lovely lovely, delightful, gorgeous, spectacular and very very happy to be performing and receiving love from the crowd. I would have love to see her live during her peak conditions at US nationals, but alas can't turn back the clock!

David Wilson, master of ceremony, he remind me of a very playful but super bright chipmunk. Not sure why, maybe there's something quite infectious about him that oozes creative energy, good will and always good for a laugh. I bet he would make the perfect drinking buddy or party guest.

Last edited:
os168, what splendid descriptions of the skaters! I felt as if I were standing right next to you as you encountered them all. Thank you so much for literally sharing your experiences with us.

It's funny you mentioned Mao's ears. I noticed them early on and thought they were very endearing, because they stick out just a bit and have that unusual shape. They make her face so individual and unconventional--those and her wonderful, sincere smile. When I see her face, I feel like smiling, except this week when I look at photos of her and want to cry.

I love your portrait of Daisuke and his fans! That's just the way I imagine him. And Dennis Ten and his mates looking like a boy band...I'm giggling. It was especially lovely to see YuNa and Michelle through your eyes.

You have to keep meeting skaters so you can tell us about them! (When can you fly to see Shizuka? and Kurt?)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Always interesting to read about others' experiences.

I think now the list of skaters I REALLY wanted to encounter has pretty much been checked off. Yes!

Of course, couple skaters I wouldn't mind running into again...

Vash01

Medalist
The only skaters I have met in person are Anton Sikharulidze and Elena Berezhnaya. Also Tamara Moskvina.

Trewyn

Medalist
Skaters that I interacted with/got an autograph from/fed chocolates... nearly all of these happened at Worlds in Turin. It was pretty amazing there.
Nicest, most fan-friendly skater was probably Adam Rippon. But nearly all of these 'encounters' were really positive experiences!

Yu Na Kim
Daisuke Takahashi
Carolina Kostner
Shizuka Arakawa (TEB 2009)
Tomas Verner (TEB 2009)
Patrick Chan
Laura Lepisto
Mirai Nagasu
Virtue & Moir
Jeremy Abbott
Takahiko Kozuka
Adrian Schultheiss
Adam Rippon
Akiko Suzuki
Brian Joubert
John Zimmerman
John & Sinead Kerr
Brian Orser
Michal Brezina
Maxim Trankov
Evan Bates
Meryl Davis
Priscilla Hill
Samuel Contesti
Kevin van der Perren and Jenna McCorkell (several times)

Skaters I would really love to meet one day:
Ashley Wagner
Alissa Czisny
Stéphane Lambiel
Johnny Weir
Tara Lipinski