Which skaters have competed in both singles and pairs/dance? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Which skaters have competed in both singles and pairs/dance?

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Crone and Poirier also skated pairs with one another. Jayne Torvill, along with singles and dance, as also a pairs skater.

Utako Wakamatsu skated singles for Japan, before switching to pairs for Canada.

Katya Gordeeva skated singles after ______ in pairs.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford both skated singles nationally and internationally. Both competed on the Jr. GP circuit as singles. Meagan went to the Jr. Grand Prix Final in singles in 2005, and both Meagan and Eric are former Junior Canadian singles champions.

Paul Poirier won bronze medals at Canadians as a Juvenile and as a Novice and silver as a Junior.

Dylan Moscovitch also competed as a single.

Vash01

Medalist
Tamara Moskvina was a singles and a pairs champion in Russia. She skated in worlds in both disciplines, IIRC. Her pairs partner was Alexei Mishin. She was the first to do what is now known as the Biellman spin.

Also I think Paul Wylie skated pairs at one time.

Yes, Vash01. I think Wylie just never grew enough to be a viable pairs partner. He's about five foot four. But he and Nancy Kerrigan have a lovely exhibition piece that they did for the Olympic gala the year he won silver and she won bronze, to music from Miss Saigon. No lifts, of course--she was just about his height--but lovely moves and holds. Isn't that interesting that it was Moskvina who perfected the Biellmann spin.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yes, Vash01. I think Wylie just never grew enough to be a viable pairs partner. He's about five foot four. But he and Nancy Kerrigan have a lovely exhibition piece that they did for the Olympic gala the year he won silver and she won bronze, to music from Miss Saigon. No lifts, of course--she was just about his height--but lovely moves and holds. Isn't that interesting that it was Moskvina who perfected the Biellmann spin.

he's definitely under 5'4"

ivy

On the Ice
For example, have you ever seen this splendid pairs routine done by Gordeyeva and Ilia Kulik for Stars on Ice? You would swear that Ilia was a pairs skater, judging by the smoothness of his lifts and holds. And the emotional content....wow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpDZf82KYhA

Sounds great. Seems like a relief to leave behind the need to do all the triples and quads, though of course pairs elements are getting trickier and trickier - especially lifts.

I heard Mervin Tran had never skated pairs, but was recruited to skate with Takahashi.

I think Jeremy Abbott would make a great pair skater. Ryan Bradley would have the upper body strength for pairs

jcoates

Medalist
Jeremy has skated pairs and done ice dance. It's one of the reasons that his singles career took off at a relatively advanced age (he's the same age as Lysacek and a year younger than Weir.)

heyang

Record Breaker
Tiffany Steigler skated in both pairs and ice dance. She had a lot of promise, not to mention stage presence to burn, and I'm not sure why she couldn't make more of a splash. Her first partner (pairs) was her brother Johnnie, and I think he just gave up on skating. Didn't they make it to fourth nationally? Then she skated pairs with Bert Cording, I think. Then they split and she tried ice dance with a Russian skater.

I'd love to know what happened to her.

I think Tiffany and brother Johnnie ended their pair s partnership due to injury, growth ( she was too similar in height) and his college dreams. I think she had another partner after Cording. Then she switched to ice dance as you mentioned.

Not sure why she stopped skating, but I thought she changed to ballroom dancing

Her sister Stephanie skated with John Zimmerman until she was injured and he decided to partner with Kyoko Ina.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Tiffany Steigler skated in both pairs and ice dance. She had a lot of promise, not to mention stage presence to burn, and I'm not sure why she couldn't make more of a splash. Her first partner (pairs) was her brother Johnnie, and I think he just gave up on skating. Didn't they make it to fourth nationally? Then she skated pairs with Bert Cording, I think. Then they split and she tried ice dance with a Russian skater.

I'd love to know what happened to her.

Me too! I remember when the Steiglers were the next big thing in pairs. Was it growth spurts that hurt them?

I think Tiffany and brother Johnnie ended their pair s partnership due to injury, growth ( she was too similar in height) and his college dreams. I think she had another partner after Cording. Then she switched to ice dance as you mentioned.

Not sure why she stopped skating, but I thought she changed to ballroom dancing

Her sister Stephanie skated with John Zimmerman until she was injured and he decided to partner with Kyoko Ina.

It's a consolation to me to hear that Tiffany is perhaps in ballroom dancing. That girl is a born performer, and if she's not going to skate, at least she's moving to music somewhere! Hey, maybe she could end up as one of the pro dancers on Dancing with the Stars. Imagine her doing a pro duet with Derek Hough....