What is a fall? | Golden Skate

What is a fall?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
At Cup of Russia Yuzuru and Mao had both hands on the ice after a jump, but they didn't get fall deductions.

Yusuri 4-toe loop in Short (0.46) He did the same mistake in Free Skate(and got exactly the same points, 7.73).

Mao 3-Lutz in Free Skate (1.57)

Their GOEs were -2 and -3.

Is it because they are really quick up? Or because their buts aren't touching the ice? I think I've heard that if more than 50% of your upper body weight is on the ice, it counts like a fall? Hard to tell though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
From the documentation for this year for ice dance:

A Fall is defined as loss of control by a skater with the result that the majority of his/her own body
weight is on the ice supported by any other part of the body other than the blades e.g. hand(s),
knee(s), back, buttock(s) or any part of the arm.
Rule 353, § 1.n) (ii)

How the refs/judges/tech panel are supposed to be sure of 50% or more of weight (vs 49%) by eye is one of life's little mysteries.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I think Yuzuru actually got called for it in the FS b/c he had a -2 deduction from his total FS score. One for the fall in the footwork and one for the blotched quad. This was discussed in the men's SP thread and I think the tech caller is just inconsistent with the call b/c it's kinda hard to call.