Early Forerunners - Mens | Golden Skate

Early Forerunners - Mens

russell30

Final Flight
Early Forerunners- Mens

After assessing Int B events and the Grand Prix Series I thought I would make a start of the favourites for the upcoming European Championships to be held in Sheffield - GB.

Men's:

Favourite: Javier Fernandez - Spain

What a breakthrough year for Javier and I am sticking my neck out here to say he is favourite for the Europeans. If Javi lands his quads he sure will!! His SP is very good indeed and a crowd pleaser, transitions are better but still needs to improve on the artistic side. What a story for Javi and Spain if he strikes Gold!

Closest Challenger: Michal Brezina - Czech Republic

Michal is brilliant technically, text book material and on his day can be very good. The quad seems to be letting him down and he will need it if he needs to beat the likes of Javi. His SP is very good and should give him points cushion for the free, not sure on his LP to a modern take on "The Untouchables" does get flat in places, but should be a medal contender.

Other Challengers:

Samuel Contesti - Italy

Always a crowd pleaser. Would need to nail the SP if he has any chance of a medal because usually (and on evidence of the GP) a very good Free skater and his "Parisienne French" LP is fun and can be a high scorer.

Kevin Van Der Perren - Belgium

Technically strong and has a superb 3+3+3 in his arsenal. Kevin needs to land all the jumps really to secure a medal as his PCS are not very strong and usually a skater that uses the music more as background than to his advantage. Has had a good training program this year so should be close to a medal in what must be his final European's (on his wife's home turf!!) Would be good for them.

Artur Gachinksi - Russia

Ok I have added Artur in (although has had an up and down GP) but he seems to be a big performer when it matters and being with Mishin would help him. Not a fan of his SP but His "Dracula" themed LP suits him so well. I reckon he could do well.

Like in my Ladies Summary I have not mentioned the current European Champion Florent Amodio, who seems to be struggling this year (not sure if there is something wrong in the training camp) but he does not seem to be there mentally.He may struggle to get in the top 5 this year. Also Brian Joubert, been struggling with Injury and has had no lead up preparation, so we do not know with Brian, Evgeni Plushenko, again unknown quantity we will have to see if he will be at Nationals?. Tomas Verner seems to be not the force he once was - (very unpredictable) we will see.

russell30

Final Flight
Good to hear Plushenko will be there!

The Men's event will be exciting to watch so many to watch out for, it will be the young brigade against the old timers!! but very interesting, but you have all these as potential medalists.

Amodio, Joubert, Plushenko, Gachinski, Fernandez, Van Der Perren, Brezina, Verner, Contesti.

jamie

On the Ice
After his great skate at Nationals, Voronov has to be a contender. He's a definite top 6 IMHO.

So 3 Russians: Gachinski, Voronov Plushenko
A Spaniard: Javier Fernandez
2 Czechs: Brezina and Verner

with 2 French guys as long shots for the podium on their current form.

I think the podium will be Gachinski - Fernandez - Plushenko

with Voronov/Brezina and Amodio knocking on the door.

Could be sad to see Joubert and Verner languish down around 7th and 8th, but very possible IMO.

Contesti and VDP will most likely round out the top 10. :)

russell30

Final Flight
Yes was surprised with Voronov at Nationals, but have to say the program was very flat, he skated through the music rather than to it, transitions not that good, He will do well but I cant see him being in the top 6 but maybe top 10. Gachinski and Plushenko are their best hopes. But you never know in Sport.

Sacramental

Spectator
Hi!
I have 2 tickets to the EC in Sheffield, Motorpoint Arena (Friday, 27-01-12, the day of MEN's competition, full day), but, unfortunately, I will not be able to come.
I'm ready to present these tickets (of course, FOR FREE :)) to someone who likes figure skating and has possibility to attend this event.
Please contact me via private message! :)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh, We just bought two friday tickets only last minute because I didnt know if I wanted to see ladies sp and ice dance.
But I ll post it on twitter if someone wanted to go and couldnt afford it :)

Edit: I m sorry but men competition is on 28 (Lp) and 26 (Sp), 27 it is not men. Can you check again your ticket?

Last edited: