Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Practice reports, articles, photos, tweets, etc.....

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    What bothers you about his comments, Spun?
    Complaints about lack of recognition ("I'm extremely well recognized in Korea just because of what I do on the ice and there is a lack of that in Canada"); putdown of other skaters ("There was a lot more uniqueness between each skater [in the 1980s] whereas nowadays it's almost become a production line"); excessive self-regard ("I hope I can be somewhat of a throwback skater in the fact that I can bring excitement back. I can be like the black sheep of the herd, be different and be unique and be someone people will remember out of the 50 skaters at the world championships").

Sorry, I just don't find this kind of thing becoming. I prefer it when athletes let their actions speak for themselves and speak of their peers with respect. Hopefully Patrick's skating this weekend will be classier than his interview.

Wallylutz, I don't begrudge you your traditionalist gender theories as I have a fair amount of sympathy for them myself, but I do mind your referring to my comment as "hate." That's unnecessarily inflammatory. Criticism does not equal hate.

Custom Title
    Sorry Off-Topic, but I just wanted to say to Spun Silver, you are a beautiful speaker.

The way you express yourself and your manner of speech is impeccable. So eloquent. Lol I first noted this just this past week. I was bored and decided to read the Ladies LP thread over in the COR folder b/c it seemed to be getting the most traffic. So going against my better judgement, as I usually abandon a thread (not to mention an event) once it is done. Finito! But anyhow, I'm glad I did go back to read what was up because that's when I saw your posts. It was like an epiphany.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled figure skating discussions, my apologies for going off track.

ps: glad to hear that Mao landed her 3A, but would like to see it in slo-mo to make sure it's fully rotated. I still think she needs to gain a bit of weight, at least be back to her normal weight, in order to have the muscle to get her 3A back to 90% short of rotation. Perfectly acceptable, and beautiful to boot!

Banned
    Mao will surely attempt a 3A during the final comp.

any news if Elizaveta will make changes to her choreo and add a 3A ?
    her last TEB interview article she mentioned about just improve her technical aspect and spins

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Mao will surely attempt a 3A during the final comp.

any news if Elizaveta will make changes to her choreo and add a 3A ?
    her last TEB interview article she mentioned about just improve her technical aspect and spins
    I think it would be best for Liza to stick to her layout that's what she is used to, that opening lutz-toe combo is huge.

Banned
    ^

I don't think right now Liza's main aim is to win. just to skate and best results and improvement
    she has plenty of years for GPF and already won GP Events and a little risk wouldn't hurt her
    I think GPF is the perfect time for her to try her 3A in the comp.

Another article from Mainichi Daily News rergarding Hanyu with quotes from Dai.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sport...sp089000c.html

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Complaints about lack of recognition ("I'm extremely well recognized in Korea just because of what I do on the ice and there is a lack of that in Canada"); putdown of other skaters ("There was a lot more uniqueness between each skater [in the 1980s] whereas nowadays it's almost become a production line"); excessive self-regard ("I hope I can be somewhat of a throwback skater in the fact that I can bring excitement back. I can be like the black sheep of the herd, be different and be unique and be someone people will remember out of the 50 skaters at the world championships").

Sorry, I just don't find this kind of thing becoming. I prefer it when athletes let their actions speak for themselves and speak of their peers with respect. Hopefully Patrick's skating this weekend will be classier than his interview.

Wallylutz, I don't begrudge you your traditionalist gender theories as I have a fair amount of sympathy for them myself, but I do mind your referring to my comment as "hate." That's unnecessarily inflammatory. Criticism does not equal hate.
    Very well stated, and thank you for saying it; I totally agree!

Custom Title
    It'll be more appropriate to take my post to The Edge too.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; 12-08-2011 at 10:45 AM.

Custom Title
    Spun, I'm gonna comment in the main thread, but thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Sorry Off-Topic, but I just wanted to say to Spun Silver, you are a beautiful speaker.

The way you express yourself and your manner of speech is impeccable. So eloquent. Lol I first noted this just this past week. I was bored and decided to read the Ladies LP thread over in the COR folder b/c it seemed to be getting the most traffic. So going against my better judgement, as I usually abandon a thread (not to mention an event) once it is done. Finito! But anyhow, I'm glad I did go back to read what was up because that's when I saw your posts. It was like an epiphany.
    Goodness, what a lovely and unexpected thing to read the first time I turned to GS this morning. Thank you! It is especially flattering coming from you as one whose posts must be appreciated all over the skating world - your style and enthusiasm are inimitable.

Custom Title

chan speaks the truth !

sorry but whilst I recognize and apprecite your eloquence , I must disagree strongly with respect to your critism of Patrick Chan's comments.

It must indeed be disheartening to remember the adulation ( yes, that is the right word ) that used to flow for Canadian skaters like Browning , Stoiko, Orser et al . I am Canadian and I too very much miss the attention figure skating used to get . Certainly skating is more high profile and more mainstream in Canada than in the US but it is a far cry from what it used to be . So I thin Chans comments in this regard are understandable and accurate.

As far as the Chinese aspect of his comments - I actually think this shows great sensitivity to his parents situation - indeed , from what I understand , they and the entire Chinese community in Toronto have made huge sacrifices financially to enable Patrick to fulfill his potential and become the #1 in the world. It is fair to say that had he grown up in China such sacrifices would not have been neccessary . So , where is the harm in those comments?

Lastly , he is so right about the " cookie cutter " programs that we see today caused, no doubt , by the COP. Although we were constantly frustrated in the past by incredibly bad/political judging , we did get to see innovative , original and often very moving performances that simply arent there today ( throughno fault of the current skaters or choreographers ). If Patrick wants to make a statement by trying to go bakc to being more creative ( while still maintaining ahigh standard of tecnical excellence ) then that is his decision to make . Why be critical ?

I for one , am tired of hearing interviews by today's skaters that are all " sweetness and light " - clearly they are trained to always put a positive spin on things to avoid offending anybody but frankly their comments are often laughable in their banality .

I know that Chan has , in the past, made some questionable comments ( even though such comments were I beleive made in an effort to be truthful ) but , honestly , the comments in the article under discussion here are , to me , thought provoking and , in a way a bit sad , but not anything that he should be ashamed of.

Gottadance, you might want to repost this comment in the thread devoted to Patrick's interview, where the conversation has moved. Just a suggestion.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gottadance View Post
    sorry but whilst I recognize and apprecite your eloquence , I must disagree strongly with respect to your critism of Patrick Chan's comments.

It must indeed be disheartening to remember the adulation ( yes, that is the right word ) that used to flow for Canadian skaters like Browning , Stoiko, Orser et al . I am Canadian and I too very much miss the attention figure skating used to get . Certainly skating is more high profile and more mainstream in Canada than in the US but it is a far cry from what it used to be . So I thin Chans comments in this regard are understandable and accurate.

As far as the Chinese aspect of his comments - I actually think this shows great sensitivity to his parents situation - indeed , from what I understand , they and the entire Chinese community in Toronto have made huge sacrifices financially to enable Patrick to fulfill his potential and become the #1 in the world. It is fair to say that had he grown up in China such sacrifices would not have been neccessary . So , where is the harm in those comments?

Lastly , he is so right about the " cookie cutter " programs that we see today caused, no doubt , by the COP. Although we were constantly frustrated in the past by incredibly bad/political judging , we did get to see innovative , original and often very moving performances that simply arent there today ( throughno fault of the current skaters or choreographers ). If Patrick wants to make a statement by trying to go bakc to being more creative ( while still maintaining ahigh standard of tecnical excellence ) then that is his decision to make . Why be critical ?

I for one , am tired of hearing interviews by today's skaters that are all " sweetness and light " - clearly they are trained to always put a positive spin on things to avoid offending anybody but frankly their comments are often laughable in their banality .

I know that Chan has , in the past, made some questionable comments ( even though such comments were I beleive made in an effort to be truthful ) but , honestly , the comments in the article under discussion here are , to me , thought provoking and , in a way a bit sad , but not anything that he should be ashamed of.

Excellent response. I think his comments have been taken way out of proportion. It is true that he can be very naive, and not always understand that what he means and what he says are not always going to be seen the same way. And of course there is a whole community of "Chan bashers" who look for any opportunity to twist and turn what he says to suit their idea of him. The reality is that he is a great kid, very intelligent, rather sheltered, supremely talented skater, with a habit of speaking his mind without filters. He's probably learned a few lessons here. Certainly he could use the services of a media spokesperson or a manager.

On what he actually said, I don't see anything untrue or wrong or insulting. And he's raised a few important discussion points that I hope will reach the main stream public consciousness...like how the funding system for athletes needs to change in Canada.

I'd post this in the main thread too, but that one has veered into a whole political discussion of another kind.

Custom Title
    Thank you!

On Saturday, I want to see Patrick do his victory lap carrying a big Canadian flag like a cape!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast