Practice reports, articles, photos, tweets, etc..... | Golden Skate

Practice reports, articles, photos, tweets, etc.....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Alex Shibutani tweeted this morning that they were on their way to the GPF.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
^Thanks.

I know that this has been discussed before (but I can't remember) how is the starting order for the Short Programs decided?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Reverse order of their placement during this year's GP, I believe, for the GPF.

NMURA

Medalist
There are some practice reports on Japanese skaters.

Asada landed a 3A out of two attempts

Hanyu landed the 4T three times, including a 4-3

Takahashi landed the 4T once, no success on the Flip
He says "want to do the quad in the SP this time", but I don't exect that.

wallylutz

Medalist

Let's see how Hanyu hold up under the pressure. This is arguably the most prestigious international senior event he has entered thus far.

Chan is always so candid in his deliberations. It's refreshing to see as he doesn't give you PC BS though sometimes I wish he would just hold back a little because a lot of people in this world, who are accustomed to wearing masks, simply can't stand people just being themselves.

You know, I really admire Chan's skating, but his mouth gets in the way sometimes. I shouldn't even read these interviews as I want to like him.

wallylutz

Medalist
Spun Silver said:
You know, I really admire Chan's skating, but his mouth gets in the way sometimes. I shouldn't even read these interviews as I want to like him.

ImginaryPogue said:
What bothers you about his comments, Spun?

I told you so.

Chan is always so candid in his deliberations. It's refreshing to see as he doesn't give you PC BS though sometimes I wish he would just hold back a little because a lot of people in this world, who are accustomed to wearing masks, simply can't stand people just being themselves.

Unfortunately, being overly candid is something a young adult like Patrick Chan needs to learn to tone down a little. I know, because I used to be like him. Even today, I still tend to give my $0.02 quite directly which obviously is offensive to some people, especially the fans of certain female skaters (which is why I have been refraining to comment about ladies at all). Been there done that, looking at Patrick, I am often reminded of myself when I was his age. It doesn't help that most spectators in this sport are women and girls. Women like to gossip and whereas men are accustomed to speak more directly and their emotions tend to be more visible on their face; women are harder to read and tend to conceal how they actually feel. Naturally, a young man as outspoken as Patrick, who can be a little insensitive at time due to his youth, will draw the hate from this mostly female audience except the few who actually understand him. That's my take, I don't expect anyone to agree but to me, I always prefer someone just speaks their mind than sugar coat their true feelings.

What bothers you about his comments, Spun?
Complaints about lack of recognition ("I'm extremely well recognized in Korea just because of what I do on the ice and there is a lack of that in Canada"); putdown of other skaters ("There was a lot more uniqueness between each skater [in the 1980s] whereas nowadays it's almost become a production line"); excessive self-regard ("I hope I can be somewhat of a throwback skater in the fact that I can bring excitement back. I can be like the black sheep of the herd, be different and be unique and be someone people will remember out of the 50 skaters at the world championships").

Sorry, I just don't find this kind of thing becoming. I prefer it when athletes let their actions speak for themselves and speak of their peers with respect. Hopefully Patrick's skating this weekend will be classier than his interview.

Wallylutz, I don't begrudge you your traditionalist gender theories as I have a fair amount of sympathy for them myself, but I do mind your referring to my comment as "hate." That's unnecessarily inflammatory. Criticism does not equal hate.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Sorry Off-Topic, but I just wanted to say to Spun Silver, you are a beautiful speaker.

The way you express yourself and your manner of speech is impeccable. So eloquent. Lol I first noted this just this past week. I was bored and decided to read the Ladies LP thread over in the COR folder b/c it seemed to be getting the most traffic. So going against my better judgement, as I usually abandon a thread (not to mention an event) once it is done. Finito! But anyhow, I'm glad I did go back to read what was up because that's when I saw your posts. It was like an epiphany.

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled figure skating discussions, my apologies for going off track. :)

ps: glad to hear that Mao landed her 3A, but would like to see it in slo-mo to make sure it's fully rotated. I still think she needs to gain a bit of weight, at least be back to her normal weight, in order to have the muscle to get her 3A back to 90% short of rotation. Perfectly acceptable, and beautiful to boot! :love:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Mao will surely attempt a 3A during the final comp. :)

any news if Elizaveta will make changes to her choreo and add a 3A ?
her last TEB interview article she mentioned about just improve her technical aspect and spins

russell30

Final Flight
Mao will surely attempt a 3A during the final comp. :)

any news if Elizaveta will make changes to her choreo and add a 3A ?
her last TEB interview article she mentioned about just improve her technical aspect and spins

I think it would be best for Liza to stick to her layout that's what she is used to, that opening lutz-toe combo is huge.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
^

I don't think right now Liza's main aim is to win. just to skate and best results and improvement
she has plenty of years for GPF and already won GP Events and a little risk wouldn't hurt her
I think GPF is the perfect time for her to try her 3A in the comp.