The American men | Golden Skate

The American men

emma

Record Breaker
I haven't had time to watch any of the junior grand prix's...but, I have read a little here and there to keep up with Jason, and I'm so glad he is in the finals and can't wait to see him at nationals. On the triple axle - keep at it; and to any and all of those amazing skating experts out there - help him! Give him that mental map to do the jump the way Chan got the mental map to do the quad and then did it!

Go Jason!!!!

Doesn't it sound like he needs a specialized coach for the 3A? This is frustrating. But at 16, I guess he has some time... Anyway, good luck tomorrow, Jason! You have a lot of fans here.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Good article and nice read. :)

Lol his schedule reminds me of Sarah Hughes when she was still competing, she even conducted a similar interview in a similar setting the year before the Olympics, if I didn't know better I swear Jason was her. :)^D

Of course he and his coach are realistic, 2018 Olympics is far more realistic than 2014, I'm glad they've changed their game plan and now realize this. In the meantime it will give Jason plenty of years to perfect his technique, take his time, don't rush it.

This whole article gives me hope for the future of American Mens Skating after 2014, and right now to be truthful. This is how I see it:

Now

26 yr. old Jeremy Abbott
26 yr. old Evan Lysacek (yes I expect him to have worked out all the finer details by next year and come back with a vengeance; the USA needs him for Sochi if they hope to get at least a bronze for the Team Medal imho; his consistency is unmatched by any other US male skater right now)

Future

19 yr. old Max Aaron
19 yr. old Keegan Messing
22 yr. old Adam Rippon
20 yr. old Brandon Mroz
20 yr. old Richard Dornbush
20 yr. old Ross Miner

After 2014

16 yr. old Jason Brown

And heck it might be sooner for Jason if he can figure out how to master the triple axel. I say take a note from Patrick Chan, whom studied the legendary Evgeni Plushenko's quad via Dartfish, and thereby mastered it. Of course the same cannot be said for his triple axel, but that's another story, and it's not Zhenya's fault. He's there to study, but it's up to the skater to figure out how to emulate his technique. So once again I say Dartfish: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/sports/29iht-RINK29.html?pagewanted=all :cool:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, he's going to need a triple axel. I'm sorry to hear that it's giving him so much trouble.

In which case, he might take another page out of Chan's book and work on the 4T as well. Chan's 4T has been perhaps more consistent than his 3A. For that matter Lambiel had a great quad and a huge lot of trouble on the 3A.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I prefer not only Jason, but the whole entire US Figure Skating in Singles take their time, don't rush it. Take a note from Gracie Gold? I personally don't want to see another Tara Lipinski, or Mao Asada for that matter. They rushed getting the big jumps without a care for doing it the *right way*.

Yes, it earned Tara Lipinski an Olympic Gold Medal (and my fav Sarah Hughes one as well), and would've most likely earned Mao one too if COP hadn't come along and demanded that they "do it right". The Right Way, the Russian Way imho.

Just my humble opinion. :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Kori Ade does not have such a big ego that she won't bring in help if she needs to in order to get things sorted out for Jason if she needs to. There are coaches around here that can help with that element, but I don't know how they'd mesh with that team (Kori, Jason, Rohene).

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
That's kind of why I'm thinking the quad rather than the 3A. Rohen's quad technique (other than his headcase issues) was great. His 3A his most iffy jump, AFAIR.

mskater93

Record Breaker

Do you know what a Dartfish lesson costs or how expensive it would be to spend "hours" watching someone else's technique on Dartfish? Typically a 20 minute Dartfish lesson is upwards of a couple hundred dollars (between $200 and $250) in the Chicago area. In the Chicagoland area, $200 is equivalent to more than 15 hours of ice time. Where is your money better spent? I'd say the 15 hours of ice time because nothing beats actually working through the issue. I don't disagree that perhaps Kori needs to bring someone else in to help with the 3A issue, but it's their decision. That is why he's watching video in his spare time versus using Dartfish - it's a cost issue. It's also possible that Jason may have outgrown his coach. It happens.

I have an issue with your comment "the right way, the Russian way" comment in this thread. There is more than one "right way" to do things and teach things, especially in skating. There are different paths that skaters can take to achieve their goals. Some skaters grow quicker in some areas than others and have different strengths. If the "Russian way" was always the "right way", the USSR/Russia would have won OGMs in Men's FS before 1992 and they would have won more than ZERO Ladies OGMs. Yes, they had a dynasty in pairs and a lot of success in dance, but if it was always the right way, they would have dominated all disciplines. It comes across very badly and closed minded.

In general, I believe a skater who is completely honest in their goal setting and self assessment of their strengths and weaknesses who is teamed up with a strong coach who has the right teaching style and termperament for the skater, a skater with the money for training, a modicum of talent and a good work ethic can go pretty far in this sport. Frank C was good at bringing out the best in Kwan and Lysacek but he stumbled with Chris Bowman, for example. Linda Leaver helped Brian Boitano to the pinnacle, but hasn't had another high profile skater. Alex McGowan did an amazing job with Debbie Thomas, but no one heard of him since. It's how the team works together and how the skater's learning style and the coach's teaching style mesh that determines how far it goes.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Yes, he's going to need a triple axel. I'm sorry to hear that it's giving him so much trouble.

In which case, he might take another page out of Chan's book and work on the 4T as well. Chan's 4T has been perhaps more consistent than his 3A. For that matter Lambiel had a great quad and a huge lot of trouble on the 3A.

I remember in 1992 (wow long time ago), Petr Barna of Czech Republic didn't even attempt the triple axel, but attempted the quad instead. Perhaps Jason is that kind of skater, who has an easier time with the quad than the axel.

And Nadine, I agree with you. Skating is a marathon, not a sprint. Taking one's time will serve one well. I for one would love to see someone in their thirties, maybe forties competing at the highest level because they took their time and didn't ruin their bodies for life.

gkelly

Record Breaker
There have been plenty of successful male skaters in the past who first started landing 3A in their late teens. I wouldn't be too worried about a skater who doesn't have it yet at 16.