Patrick Chan feeling unappreciated in Canada | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Patrick Chan feeling unappreciated in Canada

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yes, the friendly media from his own country about their rising new star and heir to a national hero, as opposed to a purposely delayed and misleadingly presented write-up by a foreign news agency always looking for some buzz generating controversies. :rolleye: Nice picks for comparison, before the credibility is even verified.

I agree... all reports in the media should be scrutinized with regards to timing, agenda, and not just merely on the 'edited' contents alone. Although Patrick should learn to stay out of trouble as he grows older and hopefully wiser. His intention might just be acknowledging his Chinese heritage and please some sponsors more, but some of his comments are very *head smack desk*! Perhaps Patrick might be wise to read more of his Confucious, Laozi & Taoism text if he really want to acknowledge more of the Chinese roots.

On the other hand, Canada could perhaps shower him with something more potent than 'Chanties' at the next Canadian Nationals!
Not sure what... money? Seems more practical to me :p

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
As for charges of human rights violations in China, not only is a competitive skater expectedly devoted to his training with little time for world affairs, young people today are not as indoctrinated with such political ideas as older people. Their knowledge about and experiences with China are completely different from those of their elder generation. They have a very different perspective.

bet me, my very self absorbed teen brother knows more of what's going on than I do (we're 10 years apart) let's not completely disregard the youth.

Boeing787

On the Ice
bet me, my very self absorbed teen brother knows more of what's going on than I do (we're 10 years apart) let's not completely disregard the youth.

right, most Canadians know about the human rights issue in China, but there are thousands of Canadian business men going to China for the sake of making profit. Sports should be speparated from politics, PJ shouldn't have asked Patrick the question in the first place.

Boeing787

On the Ice
Here we have a loving son who feels sorry for his parents for the financial burden they have to shoulder for the sake of his (and the nation's) dream, so he wish he could represent both China and Canada. This is kinda like a guy wish he could marry two beautiful women the same time. You can laugh about it, but don't make him a criminal because of this naive thought!

jettasian

Match Penalty
He is lucky that he has the Chinese community in Toronto behind him. Most athletes don't even have that.

Someone above mentioned something about Virtue/Moir and Joannie ever referring to lack of support from the federation. I haven't seen anything from them, but it frequently comes up with athletes in other Olympic sports. Most recently I remember seeing something with Jon Montgomery (OGM in skeleton), talking about how the Canadian bobsleigh and skeleton teams don't have a sponsor now.

It seems, that most canadians agree that the athletes don't receive enough funding (see poll at the bottom of this article)

And Curling....and despite it's one of the most popular sports in Canada, it still doesn't get much support. Even 2x World champs like Jeff Stoughton team doesn't even get any sponsor.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
As for charges of human rights violations in China, not only is a competitive skater expectedly devoted to his training with little time for world affairs, young people today are not as indoctrinated with such political ideas as older people. Their knowledge about and experiences with China are completely different from those of their elder generation. They have a very different perspective.
Are you serious? Here's an example of an athlete who paid attention to something other than his training - certainly relevant to the matter of China and human rights. Around the time of the Beijing Olympics, there were many articles about Olympians who were concerned about China's human rights record. I imagine skaters who have focused on their career are more sheltered than some people, but it defies belief that a person who is interested in China and its culture will have managed to miss the numerous reports about the country's human rights issues - and no, this is not "indoctrination". And Chan comes out of this badly - because either he is woefully ignorant of current events (which I find hard to believe) or he is being less than truthful. There was more than one diplomatic way out of that question, but saying "I had no idea" wasn't it. And with Canada being a country with so much awareness of multicultural issues and human rights... it's just not a credible answer.

I get that you are a fan of Patrick Chan, but not everything he says and does should be excused and explained away. Sometimes people we admire make mistakes. And I must say, there are Canadian athletes who have done inspiring work not just in sports, and I think following the example of someone like Clara Hughes would help Chan's popularity much more than complaints about how difficult things are for him in Canada. I mean really, maybe he can have a chat with some of his fellow GPF competitors about difficulties and challenges, such as coming from a country with no skating tradition and few facilities and coaches, or dealing with the effects of a major earthquake on one's life and training.

jettasian

Match Penalty
well if you're going to complain that you don't have a lot of support, then, well, yeah.

Why don't you ask some Chan bashers, if Chan had make some "fake" nice comments, would they become his fans? I don't think so. I always believe, and it's true, that haters gonna hate.

If he makes nice comments, he's fake. If he makes honest comments, he's an immature brat.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

But do they really? Are they living there? Whose reports do they read or watch and trust? Are they equally aware of human rights violations in Canada and the US? In the Olympics year 2008, human rights charges against China were highlighted and even riots were initiated with foreign political contributions. Do you know the footage of Chinese police beating Tibetan protestors shown all over the world was from a different incident from a long time ago? Of course the rioters' destructive actions were not reported or shown. I don't have a political judgement on this event, just on the media and their reporting. By the way, beating people with bamboo sticks is less of a human rights violation than bombing their country to bloody smithereens, in my very humble opinion.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Why don't you ask some Chan bashers, if Chan had make some "fake" nice comments, would they become his fans? I don't think so. I always believe, and it's true, that haters gonna hate.

I get soooooo tired of the overuse of bashing/ers... no skater is loved by all, every skater gets critiqued. If there is true bashing REPORT it.

But do they really? Are they living there? Whose reports do they read or watch and trust? Are they equally aware of human rights violations in Canada and the US? In the Olympics year 2008, human rights charges against China were highlighted and even riots were initiated with foreign political contributions. Do you know the footage of Chinese police beating Tibetan protestors shown all over the world was from a different incident from a long time ago? Of course the rioters' destructive actions were not reported or shown. I don't have a political judgement on this event, just on the media and their reporting. By the way, beating people with bamboo sticks is less of a human rights violation than bombing their country to bloody smithereens, in my very humble opinion.

I meant as far as world news topics... not how it really is in any country (trust me on that my brother knows very little) but to suggest that students aren't aware of world topics is a great disservice. We are so easily able to dismiss the youth on this board -always have- when in all actuality they are paying far greater attention than we care to admit.

katia

On the Ice
"Have you researched athletes' lives, or national heros, veterans' lives for that matter, after the glory in US or other western countries? It might be equally horrible."
Blue Bonnet
What would Chinese fans said if Chinese gold medalist said he prefered to skate for Japan?

Many children do not have an idea what is going on in the countries their parents came from. Like Chan, who said that he did not know that China has problems with human rights violation. These people are often going to their countries of origin, seeing surface life, and seeing the nationalism of the people. And they are excited.
I am not surprised, because immigrants and their children in Canada are thought that they are immigrants first and then Canadian. Many are patriots, but not Canadian patriots. And the problem is that if Chan skated for China and gave the same interview about China and Chinese fans he would be ostracized. By his collegues, by the Chinese internet community and by the people/federation. But here he thinks he can say what he want about Canadian fans and get away with it.
I would not object if he complained about the federation --- Rochette complained and V/M had interview (I think last year) how difficult it is for parents of skaters to support, financially and otherwise, their skating. But they did not complain the way Chan does it. That's why I object.

And for yr info --I am an immigrant myself.
And here is most recent interview:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskat...-chan-explains-his-comments-about-canada.html

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Agree. Patrick's lack of knowledge on current political affairs could be traced back to the environment in which he was surrounded. I'm sure Patrick was taught the treasurous Chinese cultural heritage, but not necessarily the political views of any kinds. Why should they? It's not hard to understand that a person who are not interested in politics doesn't know anything about politics of the country other than the country of his own. Besides, the human rights violations in China has been grossly exaggerated in western world as a punch line for many various purposes for so long.;)

I completely understand why Patrick doesn't know. And it doesn't make him a less caring person at all. Why should every single person of one heritage have to choose a political disposition for their heritage?:rolleye:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I get soooooo tired of the overuse of bashing/ers... no skater is loved by all, every skater gets critiqued. If there is true bashing REPORT it.

I meant as far as world news topics... not how it really is in any country (trust me on that my brother knows very little) but to suggest that students aren't aware of world topics is a great disservice. We are so easily able to dismiss the youth on this board -always have- when in all actuality they are paying far greater attention than we care to admit.

I am not dismissing the youths, or older people. Just that different people have different foci at various times of their own lives, including their political involvements and intensity of interests.

And then there are perspectives. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, the US has taken a hard approach to solidify their world position, employing a lot of military force, while China has taken a soft approach, building relationships with countries in Africa and South America, for example, to secure their needed natural resources by buying, signing agreements, investing, as well as helping with infra structure building. They have been generous with the stockpile of $US while it still has value to buy a lot of goodwill, gifting poor countries with roads, ports, even shopping centers if that's what the local want. While the American allies are still holding on to the old charges, you can bet these developing nations have very different perspectives.

katia

On the Ice
By the way, beating people with bamboo sticks is less of a human rights violation than bombing their country to bloody smithereens, in my very humble opinion.
Skate figuring
Do you mean that cultural genocide in Tibet and Xinjiang is better then bombing country who attacked another county on 9/11?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
By the way, beating people with bamboo sticks is less of a human rights violation than bombing their country to bloody smithereens, in my very humble opinion.
Skate figuring
Do you mean that cultural genocide in Tibet and Xinjiang is better then bombing country who attacked another county on 9/11?

Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. The war is about oil and the status of petro dollar.

The worst human rights violation is the generaous deployment of depleted uranium in the middle East, that will take billions of years to decay. People there young and old are suffering from all kinds of cancers, birth defects, etc. and the veterans return with life long illnesses that the authority deny. Wives and girlfriends are even burned by semens of these soldiers. The DU meanwhile will eventually be blown all over the world, affecting all human and other co-occupants of this planet. The ill effect will be worse than any genocide ever committed.

katia

On the Ice
Blue Bonnet
So is selling an armaments (and not by USA) , like in Libya or Syria.
"Since the fall of the Soviet Union, the US has taken a hard approach to solidify their world position, employing a lot of military force,..."

Not so, US employed military force even before, particularly during so called "cold war".
But China is doing all it can to catch up, building enormous military base in Pakistan, buying (giving bribes to) the presidents in Africa.
And looking that way at their neighbors:
http://www.globaltimes.cn/NEWS/tabi...ch-those-around-South-China-Sea-a-lesson.aspx
btw I heard that original chinese article had different title: "now is the best time to start the war on South China Sea."

katia

On the Ice
"Wives and girlfriends are even burned by semens of these soldiers. The DU meanwhile will eventually be blown all over the world, affecting all human and other co-occupants of this planet. The ill effect will be worse than any genocide ever committed. "
Excuse me? Are you for real?
I particularly "like" these "burning of wives and girlfrinds by the semens of these solders".
You mean their semen was radioactive?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
btw I heard that original chinese article had different title: "now is the best time to start the war on South China Sea."

I know China enough to say that China would never ever say anything like this in articles that could be circulated among people like you and me. My kindly reminder to you: Please don't bring politics between mainland of China and Taiwan into this Patrick Chan thread. Or this thread will be moved into politics folder by modes.;)

Last edited: