Asada Withdraws From GPF | Golden Skate

Asada Withdraws From GPF

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
According to the USFSA on twitter Mao has flown back to Japan due to her mother becoming ill. Best wishes to Mao and her family!

Okami

On the Ice
My best wishes to Mao, her mum and the entire family. I hope Mao's mum recovers soon. I'm really worried - it must be something serious if it made Mao withdraw and leave for Japan immediately. :(

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Oh no... what a horrible situation for Mao - she's had such a tough time of it on the ice, and now when things are starting to go her way, to be confronted with a scary situation is just awful. I hope her mother's condition will improve quickly. All the best to Mao and her family during this difficult time.

Looks like there's no time to bring in a replacement; it'll be a five-lady field (source).

joy k.k

Rinkside
OMG. I didn't read it, but I knew there was a story about Mao's mother being hospitalized in some tabloid.
I didn't think it was true!
I'm praying that her mother will get well.

periperi

On the Ice
So sorry to hear this. I hope that Mao and her family stay strong through this difficult situation, and that Mao's mom can recover.

ivy

On the Ice
Wow - another hurdle for Mao. She's such a strong and special person. Really hoping the best for her mom!

I wonder how this affects the ladies skaters remaining. Only 2 won't get medals. Do skaters adjust tech content or just skate the plan they had coming in now that a top competitor is out?

waxel

Final Flight
According to press reports, Speedy made the announcement at the morning press conference. Seems like alternates either Marai or Ashley could have conveivably made it to Quebec City. Just wondering if any effort was made to contact them, or if they just thought it was too late. Very sad for mao and family, but can't help wishing it would be a full field.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I think it was best they kept the top 5 ladies and not add a replacement
and in a way , pays support for Mao. hopefully her mom gets a quick recovery

although Mirai and Ashley would have made it, distance is no problem for them unlke Adelina who is currently competing in Croatia
still the lack of preparation and thus was too late, this came unexpected

On another thread here, someone reported that Mao apologized for causing trouble by dropping out of the GPF. What a sweetheart. She must be so torn up inside about her Mom. I'm glad Mr. Sato is traveling back with her.

NMURA

Medalist
Just wondering if any effort was made to contact them, or if they just thought it was too late.

What effort? I can't believe anyone can think of a "replacement" at this point. Sotnikova needs the visa. I doubt she could make it even if it was one week earlier.

mousepotato

On the Ice
According to press reports, Speedy made the announcement at the morning press conference. Seems like alternates either Marai or Ashley could have conveivably made it to Quebec City. Just wondering if any effort was made to contact them, or if they just thought it was too late. Very sad for mao and family, but can't help wishing it would be a full field.

There is a deadline to add other skaters (December 5th) no alternates would have been called, even before Mao left, it was too late.

What a sad, sad, day. Mao's mother passed away: http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/f-sp-tp0-20111209-874843.html

For me, this GPF will have a pall over it.

Prayers for Mao and her family :(

jcoates

Medalist
Just a question about the substitutes. I wonder why the ISU chooses not the have the alternates on site for the event in case of late withdrawals. They could be compensated for their time in case they don't compete and could use the same training site (or an alternate one) for practice. There is the issue of travel for some, but frankly plenty of other sports do this all the time for major championships. Tennis and golf, for example, host alternates on site for major events like year end championships. Perhaps that will be reconsidered in the future.

mousepotato

On the Ice
Just a question about the substitutes. I wonder why the ISU chooses not the have the alternates on site for the event in case of late withdrawals.

Bottom line, it's just too expensive to have that many extras (18 skaters) on site to accomodate something that may or may not happen. One skater wd out of 36 is not bad at all. (knock on wood)

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Such terrible news! When I saw the WD beside Mao's name at the schedule and results page, I had no idea; I thought it was an injury acquired in practice. Now I am overwhelmed with sadness for Mao. I pray that she will find the comfort and kindness she needs and deserves.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Very sorry to hear about Mao's mother. I wonder if Joannie will try to contact Mao. She is one of those who would know how she feels now.