Hypothetical Evan L. question | Golden Skate

Hypothetical Evan L. question

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Evan L said on the Today show that he is goiing to try for Sochi and he wants to go to college but doesnt have a major in mind (I am thinking it will be marketing)
If he were to show up at Nats 2014 and place first, by the USFSA rules would he have to be sent to Sochi? If he takes second? Would he have to go through regionals and
setionals?

jcoates

Medalist
As an reigning Olympic medalist (gold, silver or bronze), Evan has a bye to Nationals through the next Olympic season (2014). Cohen entered 2010 Nats under the same terms. If he wins, he is automatically named to the team by USFSA rule. If he is second (or third if three spots exist) he is virtually guaranteed to be named to the team given his OGM status and apparent competitive fitness.

If he wins, he is automatically named to the team by USFSA rule.

Didn't the USFSA change the wording a couple of years ago to something like, "the U.S. champion is 99.9% guaranteed to be selected to the Olympic team, instead of the former 100%?" (Still 100% for Worlds.)

I recall some discussion about the then-newly discovered possibility that the USOC could declare U.S. Nationals to be the official Olympic qualifying event and seize control of it, plus all the money.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah, you go ahead and laugh, dwiggin3, but there is a reason there is a "check" in his name! :laugh:
So theoretically, Evan is 4 skates away from some sort of Oly medal, and maybe two skates away from
another Olympic experience.....oh, BTW, his picture isnt in the
official USFSA calander this next year....how did that happen?

jcoates

Medalist
Mathman, I forgot about that dust up. The wikipedia page for the event does say it is the de-facto qualifier for the Olympics. So he would not be automatically guaranteed the spot if he won, but he'd be so close that it would likely be a distinction without a difference.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
You can laugh at me now, but I can see Evan becoming very rich and successful as an underwear model. Seriously. Then comes acting. Just a matter of time:biggrin:

I think he has done some modeling, as Fedor Andreev has, and the photographs I saw looked pretty effective. So why would anyone laugh, skateluvr? I don't know why it would have to be underwear specifically; he can carry off a sporty look or a suit. I imagine as you say that he could make quite a good living in it. I don't know about acting, but he is a notoriously hard worker and could take classes or study with a coach.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Just kidding Olympia about the underwear model. A certain actor soon to be divorced from Demi Moore started this way, and then to acting! LOL. I was just thinking of the Patrick threads, the chanties and how studly Evan looks when he wants to. I'm sure he wants a Porsche or a Lamborghini like all young athletes. Maybe he has a porsche. Todd has a Lamborghini I think, and it takes big bucks for the lifestyle Evan aspires to. I don't see him running off to college too soon. He needs to market himself -OGM and those looks. Why isn't he selling some stuff?

Nadine

Record Breaker
To answer the original question, despite all that has gone on thus far, have no fear, Evan will be here (there)! :)

It's only logical, given his track record, his OCD work ethic, et al. The USFA would be a fool not to let him back in, albeit upon their (& his) good graces, of course. Excepting injury or some other unforeseen event, I expect Evan to not only medal at 2014 Nationals, but also to be the one selected for the Olympic Team Event. Jmho.

As for the other, unlike Patrick, Evan is raking in the money, judging by his expensive digs, cars, appearances, endorsements/sponsors, et al. And that's to be expected, he is after all an American Olympic Champion. I expect even more endorsements/sponsors as Sochi gets nearer (just as Zhenya has profited handsomely as well). :cool:

Lol it's going to get even more interesting during the next two years ~ Evgeni versus Evan ~ the big REMATCH, but this time on Evgeni's turf. Reminds me of those famous rivalries of old. Bjorn Borg versus everyone else. :biggrin: Can't wait to see the PR, media, television, run with it. This is the kind of rivalry skating needs. Just like Muhammod Ali versus Joe Frazier. :rock:

By the way, if I were an Italian designer like Gucci or Armani, I would approach Evan with a deal (the same way Zhenya is being courted by Dolce & Gabbana). He's tall, dark, and handsome, what more could you ask for (http://dailyhouse.com/2011/12/08/ev...ng-for-the-first-time-dailyhouse-exclusive/)? Except of course maybe manly, sleek, and cool like ice: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Evgeni_Plushenko_2009_Rostelecom_Cup.JPG :cool: