Senior Ice Dance SD at 2:00 EST | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Senior Ice Dance SD at 2:00 EST

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
More B&B

Their program with Natalia as the little prince & Andrei as Rasputin.

(At the end, I wanted to push him under the ice on the river, as did the conspirators)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OuAYxDOvwM&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL5F01A1E541CDA8E0

I was particularly unfond of their 1984 Olympic Russian folk FD, where as the music got faster, they only hit a beat now and them by random chance, while repeating the same stunts a couple times each.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuWeBG6h8ek

There was also an Homage to Greenpeace exhibition that isn't on youtube right now (it's subtitle was something about ocean & bird). You could not upload it to youtube, back in the preGoogle days, because the owners of youtube had the word "Greenpeace" on their censor list as representing a terrorist organization. Since other videos have the word "Greenpeace" in the title, under Google ownership, that is no longer the case, but the B&B exhibition wasn't where I can find it quickly.

There's some black socks for you, TV!

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I loved Scott Hamilton's cheeky comment about winning with her hands tied behind her back in jcoates' first link...

jcoates

Medalist
I saw them skate live at World Pros a couple of times. We (the crowd, at least in my section) never got them. They always seemed so over the top or abstract that it was hard to take them seriously. Their pro routines also were very far from actual dancing IMO and more theatre or performance art. Still I acknowledge there are those who loved them. Also, I've said before, they (particularly Natalia) appear to have been very personally popular with their competitors (Jayne and Chris, Tracy Wilson, Judy Blumberg) so that says something abou their personal character apart from their skating.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Apparently, they endeared themselves to the citizens of the small town near Calgary where they trained prior to the 1988 Olympics.

I have every reason to believe that they are very nice people. They just skated in a strange way to strange stuff, IMO, especially as pros, and as amateurs I wanted to buy them a metronome (or just someone shouting at the boards, like Lawrence Welk, "And a vun and a two and a three)

auser

Record Breaker
Apparently, they endeared themselves to the citizens of the small town near Calgary where they trained prior to the 1988 Olympics.

I have every reason to believe that they are very nice people. They just skated in a strange way to strange stuff, IMO, especially as pros, and as amateurs I wanted to buy them a metronome (or just someone shouting at the boards, like Lawrence Welk, "And a vun and a two and a three)
Doris, can't thank you enough for all your insightful and informative posts. And this B&B/Lawrence Welk observation made me laugh so hard, I had tears streaming down my cheeks.:biggrin::thumbsup:

CassAgain

On the Ice
I more I watch D/W's short dance, the more I like it. Their unison is fantastic, the music and the program flow from cut to cut smoothly, and their styling, particularly hers, is spot on. Using the Spanish version of the JLo song was really smart, and they do a good job of conveying a dance club feel. I don't like the current end position, but that seems to be a work in progress. I also think she could do some kind of Latin arm reference when she is up in the lift that would elevate the performance--I think the crowd would go a little nuts and raise the energy level even more there at the end.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I like it too, and I think you're right that the fiddling with the pony tail while in the lift should be replaced with something else. The ponytail tossing trick is the dance version of what the men are doing with suspenders this year. All the girls have ponytails or hair extension made into pony tails, and they are all fiddling with them. I never knew that Latin American girls did that more than any other teenager.

It looks to me like they have been buffing up the FD between GPF and CoR and had left the SD pretty much alone, other than to get that tricky edge in the rhumba.