Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Senior Ice Dance SD at 2:00 EST

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    As for the Latin feel of all the dances, one of the hallmarks of Latin dance (and I understand there's great diversity in it) is hip action. And it must be really hard to do much hip swaying while stroking or doing footwork. I have yet to see any team do it. Maybe it can't be translated to ice. A shame if so.
    I think that's why if there's any hip action they aren't skating around they're "standing still" and shakin' their booty.

Custom Title
    I will be SO glad at the end of this season when the Latin SD is over and done with. I felt the same way some years back when the OD was the tango. After that season, I couldn't hear tango music without feeling very annoyed.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think that's why if there's any hip action they aren't skating around they're "standing still" and shakin' their booty.
    It's just not the same. One thing I love about Latin dance in all its forms is watching dancers travel around the stage, the floor, the street or even the beach while their hips spin around in their own orbit. It's like a dance within a dance. It's just not the same when done standing still.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I will be SO glad at the end of this season when the Latin SD is over and done with. I felt the same way some years back when the OD was the tango. After that season, I couldn't hear tango music without feeling very annoyed.
    Do you not like Latin music? But there's such a great variety used. Dancers are using not just totally different songs but totally different genres of rhythm, music and mood. It has to be a lot less repetitive than tango.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    It's just not the same. One thing I love about Latin dance in all its forms is watching dancers travel around the stage, the floor, the street or even the beach while their hips spin around in their own orbit. It's like a dance within a dance. It's just not the same when done standing still.
    I agree, the closest I've seen are Natalie and Fabian towards the end of their SD, but they just aren't used to that sort of action so it's a little "muted".

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Davis and White were phenomenal. Very impressed with how much they've come along with this style and really made it their own.

Virtue and Moir's program is just not what it needs to be. The musical choice with the first third is especially ineffective. I wish they would have just kept their opening from last year's FD and then altered the rest of the program from there. All 3 different musical cuts aren't needed either and I think the mish-mash in this shorter program really distracts the whole picture.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Davis and White were phenomenal. Very impressed with how much they've come along with this style and really made it their own.

Virtue and Moir's program is just not what it needs to be. The musical choice with the first third is especially ineffective. I wish they would have just kept their opening from last year's FD and then altered the rest of the program from there. All 3 different musical cuts aren't needed either and I think the mish-mash in this shorter program really distracts the whole picture.
    I agree. Their SD is so pedestrian. I would have placed them 4th behind the French team and W/P. I wish people would stop trying to compare them to one of the all time greats like D/W. Maybe a few years ago, but now it's really no comparison.

I expected V/M to be up a point or two because that's the way things have unfolded so far this season. Then after the fall, I expected D/W to be up a point or two. The 76 was pretty shocking to me as I was just able to follow the scores and not the actual skates at work yesterday. After pouring over Doris's excellent analysis thread, though, the scores make sense. Aside from Moir's fall, which I agree he recovered very well from; it really threw her off more than it did him, it's been an excellent competition so far. I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the last four teams surge to the bronze. I think with a five point lead, D/W would have to melt down fairly epically to lose gold at this point, but stranger things have happened.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    I agree. Their SD is so pedestrian. I would have placed them 4th behind the French team and W/P. I wish people would stop trying to compare them to one of the all time greats like D/W. Maybe a few years ago, but now it's really no comparison.
    That is hilarious. All time greats D/W?...no comparison? it is fine to not like a program but to then make outrageous comments really loses any credibility of your commentary.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    That is hilarious. All time greats D/W?...no comparison? it is fine to not like a program but to then make outrageous comments really loses any credibility of your commentary.
    Tsk! Tsk! blackswanphoto. You should know by now that only V&M ubers can make these comments.

Custom Title
    lol

I think that blackswanphoto is an uber-fan parody/character nic.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CassAgain View Post
    I think that blackswanphoto is an uber-fan parody/character nic.
    Given that he used racially loaded language in the past to dismiss Tessa Virtue's weight, I think that's pretty accurate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blackswanphoto View Post
    I wish people would stop trying to compare them to one of the all time greats like D/W. Maybe a few years ago, but now it's really no comparison.
    Gee, its not like V/M are Olympic or world champions or anything. Oh wait...

Really, this debate is rather pointless, isn't it? Regardless of who wins what in the next few years, I think its safe to say that both teams will end up on that list of all time greats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    That's right.. all time greats. I dare anyone to name ONE team that was better in the history of the sport. D/W are a few levels above the rest at this point. And their free program this year has replaced Bolero as the greatest of all time. Lets be realistic and put V/M in comparison with skaters who are more of their level like Weaver and Poje and the French team. No need to try to elevate them by comparing them to D/W. The judges and fans know the truth.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    well, V&M have as many or more loyal uberfans as D&W. And that's because they are great skaters and great Olympic champions and great World Champions who have overcome huge physical obstacles to achieve their goals. Needless to say, P&B and W&P have no world medals and no Olympic medals, although I expect one of the 2 to medal this season at Worlds.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast