GPF Men SP! :) | Page 9 | Golden Skate

GPF Men SP! :)

Becki

Medalist
I guess you find reruns of Coronation Street exciting then. I have a couple of friends in Quebec City who were going to see the Grand Prix final but who dont follow as much skating as me. I wasnt able to make it but copied the entire schedule for them but advised them to use the senior mens short and long programs at 9:15 pm Saturday and 5 pm Sunday as the time to get dinner and lunch as they were the most worth missing. They followed my advice last night, and much to their benefit as it turned out. I spoke to them on the phone late last night and they very much enjoyed the rest of the competition and the juniors last night, so happily that was not ruined for them by seeing the senior mens "competition".

Hey, have some respect for the mens competition. None of the skaters had a clean program, but it was definitely a competition since the results were not fixed. Patrick went in as a favourite, and although wasn't clean, he skated fairly well. He deserved to win the SP, and his score is not ridiculously high that other skaters don't stand a chance of winning. I think with a fairly strong FS, he will win - but will he deserve it? That will depend on the other skaters. That's why it's a "competition", Patrick's placement is going to be dependent on the other skaters' performances.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I think the Mens event is the most exciting, more so than Ladies. I have to watch Patrick's performance in the LP, but he deserved to win the SP this time :p However, I find it super annoying when Patrick complains about his "disappointing 5th place finish" in the 2010 Olympics =_= I think he was overscored in the LP....I would place him below Johnny. If Oda didn't mess up, then I would place Patrick 8th or 9th. Patrick overestimates himself, and I just find that kind of annoying...

Patrick's Olympic disappointment was with himself, not the judging. He's never "whined" about it.

His discussion with Browning regarding the Olympic experience is reminiscent of Steven Wright's saying: Experience is something you don't get untill just after you need it.

However, Patrick has learned and been using so much of his Olympic experience with tremendous results. Good for him. Far from annoying, I find him fascinating and inspiring.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
Patrick had two mistakes and Jeremy one(for all practical purposes). Should the score be closer? I believe Jeremy performed and connected much better , which factors into that very important PCS.

Becki

Medalist
Patrick had two mistakes and Jeremy one(for all practical purposes). Should the score be closer? I believe Jeremy performed and connected much better , which factors into that very important PCS.

But Patrick's technical score was higher...I think that made the biggest difference. If Jeremy attempted a quad, perhaps their score would've much closer.

Becki

Medalist
Patrick's Olympic disappointment was with himself, not the judging. He's never "whined" about it.

His discussion with Browning regarding the Olympic experience is reminiscent of Steven Wright's saying: Experience is something you don't get untill just after you need it.

However, Patrick has learned and been using so much of his Olympic experience with tremendous results. Good for him. Far from annoying, I find him fascinating and inspiring.

I read he was disappointed with his "5th place finish", but of course, he was probably more disappointed with his performance than his placement.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I read he was disappointed with his "5th place finish", but of course, he was probably more disappointed with his performance than his placement.

He has referred often to his Olympic experiences, calling the event more exciting for him then Worlds 2011, and has revealed more about it over time but never once has he mentioned or complained about the judging. It's about his total experiences and how he learned from it in his personal and skating development.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
But Patrick's technical score was higher...I think that made the biggest difference. If Jeremy attempted a quad, perhaps their score would've much closer.

Exactly. 5.5 points higher. And if Jeremy finished first people would be complaining that the only skater who did not attempt a quad was the leader. Do people want to see the men attempt the riskier elements or not? This seems to be the reality for mens' skating now.

I'm sorry to see people so bitter about the performances of the men. I think there are a lot of very promising skaters in the field. This is the discipline I'm looking forward to the most over the next few years. And IMO, the other disciplines weren't that much cleaner yesterday.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I think the Mens event is the most exciting, more so than Ladies. I have to watch Patrick's performance in the LP, but he deserved to win the SP this time :p However, I find it super annoying when Patrick complains about his "disappointing 5th place finish" in the 2010 Olympics =_= I think he was overscored in the LP....I would place him below Johnny. If Oda didn't mess up, then I would place Patrick 8th or 9th. Patrick overestimates himself, and I just find that kind of annoying...

The top skaters all expected to medal. So what's wrong with Chan voicing his disappointment for being 5th?? He was one of the top men to expect to win gold. So what, he's supposed to say something like "wow, I'm so happy that I got 5th?" Really? Yeah, if Oda didn't mess up. Well, if Chan didn't mess up, or did 20 quads, he'd have won too :rolleye:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The judges may have all been pissed at Patrick or have sympathy for him. :think: The game can be played infinite number of ways. Fun all around. :party:

Becki

Medalist
The top skaters all expected to medal. So what's wrong with Chan voicing his disappointment for being 5th?? He was one of the top men to expect to win gold. So what, he's supposed to say something like "wow, I'm so happy that I got 5th?" Really? Yeah, if Oda didn't mess up. Well, if Chan didn't mess up, or did 20 quads, he'd have won too :rolleye:

Arghh...I didn't say there was anything WRONG with it. I just found it annoying when he "complained" (for a lack of better term) about it because I thought he was overscored, and would've placed Johnny Weir ahead of him. Of course, his words might have been lost in translation, and Patrick was more disappointed with his "performance" rather than his placement, which is perfectly fine. Skaters are not expected to be satisfied with every single performance, especially after falling several times in the same program. He went in as a contender, and he didn't live up to that expectation, but I am not sure if he accounted for his "new" competitors, namely Plushenko and Lambiel.

He could be happy about his placement, 5th, since this was his first Olympics and he was up against a strong field, but still disappointed with his performance. Daisuke is a good example, even with a first place finish, he is sometimes disappointed with his performance.

It's not all about the quads...it's an important element, but it's not all about it. Patrick lacked consistency during the Olympics, and plus he didn't have a steady 3A or quad.

Last edited:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet. Just want to post a quick comment here.

Patrick's fall was indeed hilarious. It must be the most "artistic" fall ever.:laugh: See how rhythmic it was fitting into the music. It felt like the fall was planned and intentionally putting there to highlight the comedic side of this piece.:biggrin:

I agree with people who said that Patrick's this SP's quality was better than it was last year. Unbelievably smooth!:bow: It was very intertaining.

Jeremy's program was good but some of the swing music spirit has lost this time round. The best one he skated was at this year's CoR.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I guess you find reruns of Coronation Street exciting then. I have a couple of friends in Quebec City who were going to see the Grand Prix final but who dont follow as much skating as me. I wasnt able to make it but copied the entire schedule for them but advised them to use the senior mens short and long programs at 9:15 pm Saturday and 5 pm Sunday as the time to get dinner and lunch as they were the most worth missing. They followed my advice last night, and much to their benefit as it turned out. I spoke to them on the phone late last night and they very much enjoyed the rest of the competition and the juniors last night, so happily that was not ruined for them by seeing the senior mens "competition".

I understand well the necessity of preventing your friends from seeing the facts for themselves. A favorite way of preserving one's authority is to keep people in the dark and to remain the sole source of information.

jettasian

Match Penalty
Arghh...I didn't say there was anything WRONG with it. I just found it annoying when he "complained" (for a lack of better term) about it because I thought he was overscored, and would've placed Johnny Weir ahead of him. Of course, his words might have been lost in translation, and Patrick was more disappointed with his "performance" rather than his placement, which is perfectly fine. Skaters are not expected to be satisfied with every single performance, especially after falling several times in the same program. He went in as a contender, and he didn't live up to that expectation, but I am not sure if he accounted for his "new" competitors, namely Plushenko and Lambiel.

He could be happy about his placement, 5th, since this was his first Olympics and he was up against a strong field, but still disappointed with his performance. Daisuke is a good example, even with a first place finish, he is sometimes disappointed with his performance.

It's not all about the quads...it's an important element, but it's not all about it. Patrick lacked consistency during the Olympics, and plus he didn't have a steady 3A or quad.

Again, he voiced his disappointment for coming in 5th place, as he expected to medal. That's considered "complaining"? I feel that it seems like whatever Chan said, it's always been twisted just to justify their reason. And of course, every event Chan's in, he's always overscored.

jettasian

Match Penalty
I haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet. Just want to post a quick comment here.

You don't have to read through this thread, it's same old same old, Chan doesn't deserve the mark vs. Chan deserves the mark. Nothing new, LOL.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight

Well, he was being hyped up to win a medal...he'd gone in as a world silver medalist, the Olympics were in his home country and the Canadian media was playing him up as a medal hope, even a gold medal hope. I didn't think he had a good shot at gold, but he had a realistic shot at a medal, and he didn't get one. It's natural to be disappointed in that. Saying he's disappointed to finish fifth doesn't mean he's blaming the judging or thought he deserved to be placed higher...just he had greater expectations than that going in.

I actually enjoyed the men's short most, even though it was filled with mistakes. Loved Abbott's performance, and I always like to watch Dai's program, even when it's not skated the best. Chan's fall was freaking funny...I was reminded of Midori Ito falling right out of the rink (so was Chan, according to the article on the mens' short on the CBC website :laugh:). I do think he deserves to be first, that really was a beautiful quad-triple until the boards ruined it. Maybe Abbott's overall PCS score could have been closer, although he did outscore Chan in interpretation and tie him in performance/execution.

Becki

Medalist
Again, he voiced his disappointment for coming in 5th place, as he expected to medal. That's considered "complaining"? I feel that it seems like whatever Chan said, it's always been twisted just to justify their reason. And of course, every event Chan's in, he's always overscored.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think he's ALWAYS overscored - at least this time, he wasn't. I have nothing against Patrick, I'm just voicing my opinion on him.