Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: GPF Men SP! :)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateflower View Post
    1fall + hand down on 3a. Another messy skate by Patrick Chan and the commentators continued to rave about his performance. No wonder he's spoiled.
    I agree. Jeremy made one small mistake and thats it. Everyone is expected to be flawless, except for Patrick. Patrick is well Patrick, the Kostner of skating if you will. Always given more than the benefit of the doubt. He is a great skater, but a messy boy at times.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginask8s View Post
    I agree. Jeremy made one small mistake and thats it. Everyone is expected to be flawless, except for Patrick. Patrick is well Patrick, the Kostner of skating if you will. Always given more than the benefit of the doubt. He is a great skater, but a messy boy at times.
    I hope you can find Kurt and Tracy talking about Dai. Despite the messy skate - no combo and two flawed jumping passes - they were RAVING about his skill on the ice. Indeed, while they explained that the math wasn't on his side, you could tell they sorta wished there was a way to prop him up. Indeed, even after Hanyu and Fernandez's skates, both which were marred with an error, they emphasized the positive. That's what they do.

When you say Patrck is always given more than the benefit of the doubt, what do you mean? Can you demonstrate that factually in the scoring?

Banned
    I understand why people have patience to speak about Chanboni-style. The way he repeatedly smoothes and cleans the ice is really amazing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    I understand why people have patience to speak about Chanboni-style. The way he repeatedly smoothes and cleans the ice is really amazing.
    At least he was there to "clean" the ice, unlike some people who were missing in action or worse, per your own words, "could do quint and judges won't even notice".

Banned
    It seems like Chan MUST skate clean, or else, there's always some people saying he shouldn't deserve the mark blah blah blah. It's unfortunate that his 4+3 hit the board...or else...I think he'd have given higher mark, 90?

Custom Title
    Nice recovery by Chan. He seem's much better at regaining his composure after a mistake than he was a couple of years ago. And really, no one has his speed and edge quality. That footwork pass going end to end on one foot? Amazing.

I was also SO impressed with Jeremy Abbott. The last time I watched him skate was a couple of seasons back, and he put me to sleep. He looks like a completely different person on the ice now. He was engaging, musical and entertaining. Wow!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Jeremy actually seems to enjoy skating to the peppy music of his SP this year. Since he does well to that, perhaps he should skate to cheery music in the future?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    It seems like Chan MUST skate clean, or else, there's always some people saying he shouldn't deserve the mark blah blah blah. It's unfortunate that his 4+3 hit the board...or else...I think he'd have given higher mark, 90?
    Over 90. He lost almost 4 points for the bang and fall, without which he would be scored at around 90. Moreover, he would almost certainly have received generous GOE for the quad combo otherwise as it was huge and gorgeous, except the fall took out the flow after the landing. With just a little bit of PCS boost without the fall, he might have broken his own SP record. OTOH, he probably wouldn't even need any additional PCS because without the quad combo incident, he likely would not have put his hand down for the 3A.

Of course, to some people it's just a messy program.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 12-10-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Over 90. He lost almost 4 points for the bang and fall, without which he would be scored at around 90. Moreover, he would almost certainly have received generous GOE for the quad combo otherwise as it was huge and gorgeous, except the fall took out the flow after the landing. With just a little bit of PCS boost without the fall, he might have broken his own SP record. OTOH, he probably wouldn't even need any additional PCS because without the quad combo incident, he likely would not have put his hand down for the 3A.

Of course, to some people it's just a messy program.
    Take out the fall and some posters here would still call it a messy skate.

Custom Title
    Patrick is the best of a weak field. He is an excellent skater, and he's extremely strong in footwork and speed/smoothness, which are very highly (over?) rated in the current system. He deserves his wins under the current rubric, whether everyone likes it or not.

However, he will never be considered one of the best of all times because he just falls way too much. No skating legend who is raved about so much has ever hit the ice as much as he does. I remember those in the past falling maybe once in a while, or putting a foot down in a triple occasionally. Patrick will do both in a short program several times a year. Let's hope next year he works on his consistency a little.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    Skating clean should be the goal of every skater. Apparently Chan's diehards think we're just asking too much from this boy. It appears the hallmark of Chan-COP era is to justify wins with mutiple falls.

Banned
    Okay, one thing I think Chan missed was his spins on this short program. The first spin and the last spin were not that good, I could see they traveled a bit.

Banned
    Skating clean should be the goal of every skater. Apparently Chan's diehards think we're just asking too much from this boy. It appears the hallmark of Chan-COP era is to justify wins with mutiple falls.
    Yes, skating clean should be the goal for every skater. Was everyone clean? And I don't think that's the ONLY factor to justify the marks. I think it's more like some people are watching Chan skate for "how many falls and mistakes" he makes instead of how he skates.

Custom Title
    Often when I see a skater fall it seems to come from hesitancy, lack of confidence, or lack of proper technique. Usually when Patrick falls it seems to be from pushing too far - jumping too big, trying for too deep an edge, going too fast. It's more forgivable to me. And Patrick has gotten really good at falling, and can get right back into the program. Plus he's learned that he won't be punished too much in the scores so why not push to the edge and risk a fall.

I do think it's time for him to focus on skating within his considerable abilities and eliminate the fall story line by Sochi.

Custom Title
    So how clean is the rest of the field? Have most of the GP winners been clean? Why is Chan the only one you are making such demand from? Why do you choose to ignore the reasons he won the SP last night and focus on the fall caused by his going beyond? How many actual messy wins has Chan had compared to his wins without any fall or even near perfection that no one has achieved?

No one in this world has no faults and negatives you can find and focus on if that's you perogative. But how do you choose your target and why is Chan the jack pot winner as your choice?

Yes, jettasian, I noticed his last spin was subpar for him. But some people have eyes only for falls.

eta. Yes Ivy, that is what I meant by "going beyond", pun intended but seriously that is what Patrick always does.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 12-10-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast