Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: GPF Men SP! :)

Custom Title
    Protocol time.....

Chan's base value keeps him in the game. He had 5.5 points on Abbott to start with. Jeremy clawed some of that back on GOEs, the PCS were kept quite close (Abbott beat Chan on Interpretation and matched him on Performance, but Skating Skills, Transitions and Choreography went to Chan.)

Dai had the worst of it, of course - the ur, the negative GOE on the quad for two-footing, the combo-less lutz. The judges actually placed him behind Abbott in PCS, which is surprising (if fair).

Quote Originally Posted by MrScroogeMcDuck View Post
    Chan has a habit of messing up in the most WTH of ways. Always entertaining.
    There's never a dull moment when Chan is around
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzjJJngkuZQ

Custom Title
    Have a look at judge #5 for Patrick Chan. All in the 7's. Absolutely ridiculous.

Very happy for Jeremy his short program was just wonderful. Not much that I can say about my favorite
    Dai other than I hope he does better in the FS.

Quote Originally Posted by emma View Post
    I feel for Dai. I thought he hit the quad and barely two footed it; but I guess I was wrong; and, I hate that he couldn't tack on at least a double just to have a combo.

ETA Jan I totally agree, Chan is so fast it is almost crazy!
    They say you can't judge speed well on video, but I can see Chan's. Whenever they turned the camera to him in the warmup you can see the boards just whizzing by.

I also thought Dai's quad was fully rotated. I'm beginning to see I suck at spotting URs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiandorocks View Post
    There's never a dull moment when Chan is around
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzjJJngkuZQ
    LOL! Never saw that before.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
    They say you can't judge speed well on video, but I can see Chan's. Whenever they turned the camera to him in the warmup you can see the boards just whizzing by.
    Seriously, it's ridiculous how much better at blade-to-ice Chan is then the rest of the group. I don't mean to besmirch them, but his speed is obscene. He was thundering down the rink to that quad, and even then, he was doing it so effortlessly. I really don't see how a judge can give 7.5 for that in SS.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    Well, he does not have a quad so there is no real comparison. Patrick is by far the fastest skater out there. No one else does their transitions etc. with the same flow as him.
    I think PChan deserved his scores this time. But I don't like watching a competition where PChan either dominates, or thinks he will dominate (this leading him to say pretty bizzare things)

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    I really don't see how a judge can give 7.5 for that in SS.
    Well, keep in mind, he did fall, which many have argued before should reflect in his skating skills scores.

Custom Title
    People are whining about Judge #5's marks for Chan, but are overlooking Judge #1 who gave him 9.75 on SS and 9.5 on everything else. Not to mention the fact that the same judge gave him +3 GOE on four elements and only a -1 for the boards fiasco. The point is that, yes, some judges scores are often questionable, but it works both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    Have a look at judge #5 for Patrick Chan. All in the 7's. Absolutely ridiculous.
    Judge #5 for Chan is probably the same person as #2 for Abbott and #3 for Fernandez. Scoring lower than the other judges across the board.

Custom Title
    Haven't been able to watch anything yet, but from what I've read it sounds like Chan has proven, once again, that he is a true innovator of the sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MrScroogeMcDuck View Post
    People are whining about Judge #5's marks for Chan, but are overlooking Judge #1 who gave him 9.75 on SS and 9.5 on everything else. Not to mention the fact that the same judge gave him +3 GOE on four elements and only a -1 for the boards fiasco. The point is that, yes, some judges scores are often questionable, but it works both ways.
    Yeah, I just noticed that, and I agree. Judge five was wierd - is Chan's interpretation really his strongest suit? Does anyone think that? Judge five does. I'm fine with Chan getting only a -1 for the 4-3, actually, though I would've given him a -2.

museksk8r, it's been pretty well established that falls on jumps aren't reflected in the SS. And frankly, even if they were, I think this is one of those falls that you can't really say was caused by poor skating skills. Hell, if he'd had slightly lesser skating skills, he wouldn't have covered that distance and wouldn't have hit the boards, imo. However, if you're pointing out that I really shouldn't be complaining because it's not like Chan was underscored, then point taken. I shouldn't be complaining.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Well, keep in mind, he did fall, which many have argued before should reflect in his skating skills scores.

This fall had nothing to do with skating skills.

*SF waits for convoluted explanation that it was his poor skating skill that caused the fall*

Banned
    I have watched Chan skating to Take Five countless times. But I think he is actually skating even better this time, minus the errors. His speed was insane, and the one-foot footwork almost at the end was much better than last year. His bold edges and the one-foot almost from one end of the board to the other was very impressive.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast