SENIOR LADIES FREE SKATING Thread | Page 7 | Golden Skate

SENIOR LADIES FREE SKATING Thread

SXTN

Final Flight
I guess I'm discussing child exploitation. There is the fine line when adults push a talented child to dress her beyond her age in the name of "winning at any cost."

Also, as I mentioned above, the ugly reality is that molesters love watching sexualized children's vids. Why oblige them and give them more opportunites?

But it's about sports!! And in order to improve her overall impression she tried a new dress. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
But it's about sports!! And in order to improve her overall impression she tried a new dress. When in Rome do as the Romans do.

Just because it is sports does not justify child expoitation. There is a reason for the minimum age qualification to be eligible for senior division; I wish GP and worlds coodinate and make it the same age eligibility requirement.

SXTN

Final Flight
Just because it is sports does not justify child expoitation. There is a reason for the minimum age qualification to be eligible for senior division; I wish GP and worlds coodinate and make it the same age eligibility requirement.

Okay!

Getting back to the skating, I'm sorry to hear that Alissa didn't do well. It's distressing that her less-than-stellar showing might be due to an injury. Hope she can heal and not aggravate it in the time left before Nationals and then Worlds.

I don't remember which poster suggested that Alissa use something with a crisper rhythm than the "pretty girl music" (lovely phrase!) that she's currently using. I'm inclined to agree. I'd love to see her skate to something more forceful. But right now, I'd just love to see her skate!

It's great that Carolina and Akiko did well. I hope this result puts Akiko on the Japanese world team, though I also deeply hope Mao is on that team. And now on to the men!

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Getting back to the skating, I'm sorry to hear that Alissa didn't do well. It's distressing that her less-than-stellar showing might be due to an injury. Hope she can heal and not aggravate it in the time left before Nationals and then Worlds.

I don't remember which poster suggested that Alissa use something with a crisper rhythm than the "pretty girl music" (lovely phrase!) that she's currently using. I'm inclined to agree. I'd love to see her skate to something more forceful. But right now, I'd just love to see her skate!

It's great that Carolina and Akiko did well. I hope this result puts Akiko on the Japanese world team, though I also deeply hope Mao is on that team. And now on to the men!

ITA. Now back to figure skating. :)

JeffyJosephNCA

On the Ice
Alissa did sustain a calf injury while performing a triple flip during practice. Article up on IN. Wishing her a speedy recovery in time for Nationals in my hometown in San Jose!

Oh, golly. I just visited the Men's thread. We think we're yelling here? It's real fractious over there. I have to get a view of the men's long programs to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I'll just go and cower over in Ice Dance.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Quite sloppily skated event in general. No one impressed me.

Even Tuktamisheva was off her game- seemed stiff, nervous, and lacking spark. Kostner was her usual bleh self. And Bad Alyssa seems to have found her way back to the surface. Complete disaster for Czisny- but if there is a positive out of it, may take off a bit of the pressure she'll be dealing with at Nationals.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Carolina has been wearing short dresses with non existent skirts since I dont remember, ever. Everybody was commenting on that. I ve seen many skaters with deep cuts, I dont find Liza dress so much provoking, it is a latin theme program, she is not wearing that everytime, last year her lp she was wearing a long sleeved black with close back while her oriental sp was more light.. But nevertheless, the new lp dress I dont like it at all for any age, liked the color but not the cuts. Her old red dress was beautiful. And I dont like much the tango one dress too. But I doubt Mishin has a word about her costumes but anyway...if you dont know how her team works (i dont) it is better not to speculate.

I m glad Carolina won, what a year for her! Akiko was the most amazing for me. And bravo to Liza for the comeback from the sp.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Quite sloppily skated event in general. No one impressed me.

Even Tuktamisheva was off her game- seemed stiff, nervous, and lacking spark. Kostner was her usual bleh self. And Bad Alyssa seems to have found her way back to the surface. Complete disaster for Czisny- but if there is a positive out of it, may take off a bit of the pressure she'll be dealing with at Nationals.

I was thinking the same thing. Better here than San Jose.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Oh, golly. I just visited the Men's thread. We think we're yelling here? It's real fractious over there. I have to get a view of the men's long programs to see what all the fuss is about. Maybe I'll just go and cower over in Ice Dance.

Well, pedophilia can certainly be a heated subject, but not as much as Patrick Chan's marks. ;)

(Who'd have ever thought 10-15 years ago that ice dance might be the least controversial event to talk about?)

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I have the feeling that the new scoring system is destroying the sport today :(
It's boring to see Kostner win easily the Senior ladies with a jump content of a Novice ladies.
I prefer watching skater who try all the jump content like Akiko and Elizaveta (To me, they are more enjoyable to watch and they deserve to be credit for trying the difficulty)

I miss Mao, Yu-Na, Joannie and Sasha
Something is missing in the ladies field today ...

Last edited:

CARA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
...I miss Mao, Yu-Na, Joannie and Sasha. Something is missing in the ladies field today ...

Aside from costume controversy, I agree with your sentiments. I miss Mao and Yu-Na. :yes:
Lady's event had so much more to discuss back then. ;)

I miss the days when we got to talk about Japan-Korea controversy rather than child molestation.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree that the dress was inappropriate. It was too bare-looking. On a more mature skater, I would have called it vulgar. But it is not child exploitation! There was plenty of illusion cloth. It was no worse than Sarah Hughes' wedgie at the 2002 Olympics. And I loved the white boots!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Caro, Akiko and Alena! Bumpy ladies competition but I agree with the placements. Loved Caro's costume.
I felt bad for Alissa she looked so despondent in the K&C. Nice comeback for Elizaveta.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Please do read my comment again, for I am not comparing Mr. Mishin to Jerry Sandusky, an alleged child molester. Rather, I am comparing Mr. Mishin to Joe Paterno, a now disgraced Penn State coach, who was allegedly informed of molestation by his assistant coach and passed onto that information to his school official. Mr. Paterno might or might not be legally liable.
I am well aware of what happened at Penn State and the vast difference between Mr. Patterno's actions and the crimes allegedly committed by Jerry Sandusky. I still find your original post inappropriate. Suggesting that allowing a skater to wear an age-inappropriate dress is even in the same league as not reporting the rape of a boy is way off the mark.

I admit that I might have reacted very strongly. I do not, however, apologize for my prior comment. Many law enforcement officers are aware of numerous sexualized children's photos, such as younger female gymnasts, and/or child pageant constestants, being hoarded by child molesters after successful raids. By the same token, Tuk being so petite, looked like a pre-adolescent child dressing up as an adult - just like the way certain child molesters prefer. This is precisely the reason why I dearly wish that her FD videos not be uploaded.
Though it has nothing to do with this thread, which should be about the accomplishments of the talented skaters who competed yesterday, I'd like to add that you're essentially suggesting that because there are creepy evil pedophiles in the world, we should make sure nobody does anything that might set them off. Which is so wrong I don't even know where to start. This is the same type of thinking that leads to women and even little girls being subjected to ridiculous modesty restrictions in many cultures - because men supposedly can't control themselves otherwise.

If Liza wants to wear a tacky dress, that's her business, and at most, her mother's business. She's not the first teenager to wear revealing clothing in public. It's not even nearly as revealing as most swimsuits.

brightphoton

Medalist
Any inappropriate outfits young figure skaters have to wear are the least of the child abuse they endure for this sport.

Just sayin'.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Just saw video with Elizaveta's LP and dress....and I must say, it's ghastly in concept, cut, and color. Not just inappropriate for her, but pretty much for any other skater of any age..unless you're in a production of Holiday H**kers on Ice. I know if someone tried to coerce me into wearing that thing on the ice, I would have told them to go pound sand! But then, I long ago stopped trying to figure out why Russian skaters in particular, seem to have the strangest cultural taste in costumes. And I'm not about to get into the argument about whether this costume provokes child predators or encourages loose morals.

I will say that for me, the costume did not enhance but distracted me from her skating and her program. And I'm likely not the only one. When the costume detracts from what you're trying to accomplish on the ice, it means you probably need a wardrobe rethink.

hurrah

Medalist
Elizaveta's outfit was really awful!! It made the outfits that Tat gave to Mao seem pretty okay in comparison.