GPF Men FP, Sat. 12/10 at 4:55 pm EST | Page 9 | Golden Skate

GPF Men FP, Sat. 12/10 at 4:55 pm EST

Becki

Medalist
Congrats to Patrick, Dai and Jav. So happy for Dai coming from behind and winning the Silver. Dai, Hanyu and Jav were just fabulous tonight.
Looking forward to seeing the protocols.

Haha sometimes I wonder if Hanyu is destined to be "fourth" - last year at NHK, Japanese Nationals, this year at Cup of China, and now Grand Prix Final. I am positive with time he'll fight his way to First!

I disagree with him losing "gas", I noticed he was trying to perserve energy so he doesn't run out of gas in the second half. I believe he worked nicely for him, although he wasn't' as up beat as before. :p

Hikaru

Final Flight
I think of Takashi Honda program when Chan skates this. Love Honda's version.
OOOOOOH!!! that's why the outfit seemed familiar to me... I've been asking myself, "Pat reminds me of someone but whom???" You are right, finally I solved that.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
lol wow, so this is going to be an unpopular opinion here. But I thought this was the best Patrick skated this FS all season. Aside from the three jump problems, he was stronger, faster and bolder than I've ever seen him. And the jumps he didn't screw up on looked better than ever. The 3loop he did was just plain explosive. Really, outside the mistakes, this is the best Patrick has skated to me.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Of all the performance tonight, I like Jeremy's best, so lyric, connections to the music, too bad about the jumps. I think the judges lowballed him once again. I find Dai a bit less life, he doesn't seem to get into it until the second half. And I'm very surprised to see the praises about Hanyu, he basically died during the second half again, no energy whatsoever, but the judges still rewarded him. Combined with Hanyu's COR scores, I think the Japanese federation is trying to push him upfront since Oda is doubtful this season and they need three men for the world.

They did not reward him... did you see Hanyu's PCS scores...all Hanyu did was rotate and do all his jumps just like Patrick.

Kurt Browning made a telling comment on Fernandez' split jump. "You don't see split jumps anymore. Nice to see one in a competitive program."

Split jumps do not have a base value in the IJS.

oleada

Record Breaker
What a complete joke. This was actually a great competition, and then you get such judging, you just want to beat your head against the wall. I can understand Patrick winning based on the SP score, but for him to beat Daisuke is just an insult. It's not like Patrick is the only skater with great skating skills. Arguably, Daisuke shows far better interpretation, musicality and performance.

In the protocols, one judge gave Dai scores in the 5s and 6s. He or she needs to be investigated NOW.

aniela

On the Ice
I am okay with Patrick winning since he had a 10 point lead over Daisuke....but getting a 173...just an insult to Daisuke's beautiful and almost flawless performance :S Patrick's jumps were not that steady....I just can't digest his win in the LP even if I look at the score sheet.
I agree!

Hikaru

Final Flight
Javier has been more polished than he used to be, I think, at least in all the movement above the skate. But the skate to ice contact bit, the actual skating, it's just not up there with the rest of this great field of skaters (and many others). Maybe the extra polish helps his PCS, although it shouldn't help his SS that much.

As for the Spanish federation, I'm sure they're busy enough trying to increase participation and excitement about the sport in Spain without having to do any backroom deals. And really, that goes for any federation unless there's concrete evidence of corruption.

One of the things I like about Javier is that he has a lot of range for interpretation, despite being young, he really getsin the role (whether it is comedy or drama), he really gets into his programs like that. He's not Dai (which to me is the perfect example interpreting a role) but he really has range to skate different types of music. I'm happy for him really.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I haven't seen the programs and I'm assuming that Chan won with a flawed program--again. I have to wonder--will public reaction to this eventually lead to a change in the IJS similar to the devaluation of figures in 1972?

I think so, actually. But it goes back-and-forth. I think it'll take a pretty profoundly bad performance at a huge event - a la Olympics or Worlds - for there to be a considerable outcry - one enough to change the rules anyway. The outcry surrounding Plushenko vs Lysacek was pretty minor, all things considered, but they did make changes as a consequence to make the quad more valuable.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Only if the others start stepping it up with the politics. Canada has been ridiculously good these past few years in that area. It is infuriating, but it will be corrected eventually.

This, ITA. I've been saying it for years now, ever since the COP was created by the Canadians. Poltics, politics, politics. They're all crooked. Fact.

Back to this competition, it was good, not great. Just like the ladies. Nobody skated clean. The best competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win. Leastways that's always been my motto. :cool:

NOW ONTO NATIONALS FOR ALL COUNTRIES, GOOD LUCK! :love:

Florian

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Thanks for posting the link to the live stream, so that I was able to watch the competition. And what for a competition! Both Japanese were just great and I am very happy that Javier got a medal, it's amazing how he saved some of his jumps and how again he showed consistency. The only thing I will never understand is the score of Chan. This is really a joke. I mean I expected him to win even after all the mistakes because he just wins all the time and surely is brilliant in some aspects, but winning with 173 points in the free skate, over Takahashi??? For me Daisuke should have won, but I could have lived with Chan getting 1 or 2 points more overall because of his advantage in the short program, but this way, no way... Incredible. And that Chan wasn't even surprised about that score... I don't get it. I thought this crazy overvaluation of Chan in the scores of the judges would have decreased a bit. But no.

Last edited:

Becki

Medalist
oh, yall didnt get the memo that by 2014 we must have 00's in the score so 200 is the main goal, at least that's my interpretation. the scoring they believe is the reason for lack of interest, at least they assume for US fans.

200 is the new 6.0.

Look at the breakdown of the scores: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1112/gpf1112_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Surprised PChan got higher PCs than Daisuke...but that's just my opinion.

From a spectator's point of view, Daisuke had a better free skate with the only major error being the slight step out on the quad (I believe...). Oh well...can't do much about it.

FTnoona

Final Flight
lol wow, so this is going to be an unpopular opinion here. But I thought this was the best Patrick skated this FS all season. Aside from the three jump problems, he was stronger, faster and bolder than I've ever seen him. And the jumps he didn't screw up on looked better than ever. The 3loop he did was just plain explosive. Really, outside the mistakes, this is the best Patrick has skated to me.

I agree with you that this was the best Patrick skate his FS. No doubt better than what he did at TEB and when compared with what he did at SC the score is right. I really love his speed on the ice for sure and the speed, flow, and knee action throughout his footworks.

prettykeys

Medalist
I can definitely see that. The 3Loop came out of nowhere, caught me off-guard. And for the first time, this Aranjuez LP stood out as an intricate and well-choreographed program (I didn't take to it earlier in the season.) I haven't yet seen Dai's LP at the GPF here, but just comparing Patrick to Patrick before...I may agree.

burntBREAD

Medalist
What a complete joke. This was actually a great competition, and then you get such judging, you just want to beat your head against the wall. I can understand Patrick winning based on the SP score, but for him to beat Daisuke is just an insult. It's not like Patrick is the only skater with great skating skills. Arguably, Daisuke shows far better interpretation, musicality and performance.

In the protocols, one judge gave Dai scores in the 5s and 6s. He or she needs to be investigated NOW.

I didn't notice that! That's actually CRAZY.

apple123

On the Ice
They did not reward him... did you see Hanyu's PCS scores...all Hanyu did was rotate and do all his jumps just like Patrick.

Well, I'm just saying my impression, he looked like he could drop dead any second on the ice near the end, kudo for him to hold onto most of the jumps, but he didn't give a good performace, and the judges put him above Jeremy.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Kurt Browning made a telling comment on Fernandez' split jump. "You don't see split jumps anymore. Nice to see one in a competitive program."

Split jumps do not have a base value in the IJS.

Kurt should watch more skating. More than one junior skater in men's, if I recall, used a split jump as an element directly preceding a jump last season. I definitely remember Jason Brown doing that.

Looking at the scores in total, I think Yuzuru was rather undermarked in PCS. I can almost agree with his PE and Int being lower than some of the other more mature men who have more polish and command over expressing music with their bodies. But his SS and TR being second to lowest? That I really don't get. Yuzuru has fantastic basics and lots of intricacies in this program.