GPF Men FP, Sat. 12/10 at 4:55 pm EST | Page 8 | Golden Skate

GPF Men FP, Sat. 12/10 at 4:55 pm EST

Serious Business

Record Breaker
He has credit stored? lol I've been following him (not stalker-like, just his scores, and how he is doing) and while of course he was unpolished, I could see that he had a lot of talent, he has elevated his ranking a lot, and now that he is training in another environment, he's just getting better. I think Morozov gave him personality, and Orser is just bringing out what a great skater he is. I think we'll see great things from him.

Honestly I can't think of corruption from the Spanish FS Fed, it is not that big of a sport, and it is because of Javi, Sara/Adria and Sonia that it is starting to pick up.

Javier has been more polished than he used to be, I think, at least in all the movement above the skate. But the skate to ice contact bit, the actual skating, it's just not up there with the rest of this great field of skaters (and many others). Maybe the extra polish helps his PCS, although it shouldn't help his SS that much.

As for the Spanish federation, I'm sure they're busy enough trying to increase participation and excitement about the sport in Spain without having to do any backroom deals. And really, that goes for any federation unless there's concrete evidence of corruption.

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow couldn't they pretend and have him at least lose the long program. This is why this is no longer my fav sport.

ntl

Rinkside
Not arguing that Chan shouldn't have won. But come on now, 87 for PCS? That's definitely not an 87 kind of performance. I would have put Chan's PCS behind Jeremy's, superior SS and all.

dlarry1

Rinkside
How incredibly disappointing. Not that PC won, because he deserved that by winning the SP handily. But with at LEAST 2 stronger LP performances, he still wins that portion too. This just makes it harder to defend my love of this "sport" to my casual-viewing friends...

louisa05

Final Flight
I've never been a fan of Pluschenko. However...I'm beginning to root for him to come back for Worlds, skate clean with those huge jumps (which I was in awe of the one time I saw him live in spite of not being a fan) and pat Chan on the head from the top step of the podium.

missysays

On the Ice
Chan's ability to pull points out of mistake-ridden programs is a mystery. He should hold an ISU seminar on it.

But having said that this is the first program of Chan's that I've liked there's a mesmerizing quality to the way the choreography melts into the music that is beautiful. I hope he skates it cleanly at least once this season.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't seen the programs and I'm assuming that Chan won with a flawed program--again. I have to wonder--will public reaction to this eventually lead to a change in the IJS similar to the devaluation of figures in 1972?

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully, these judges receive lumps of coal for Christmas, if anything at all. BAD, BAD, BAD!!! :disapp::scowl:

FTnoona

Final Flight
I guess Daisuke lost it in the SP. Shame.

I loved the way Patrick interpreted his program, yet this was far from dazzling.

I'm heartsick for Jeremy. That would have been utterly magnificent without the falls. Who would think this corny young man would be such a great artist? :confused:

Overall, though, what a great competition. So much talent and so many "wow" moments. Way to go, guys!

Dai didn't just lose it in the SP, Chan won the FS too.
Poor Jeremy though he was going to well then...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Yes!!!!!! I haven't watched any yet. But good for you, Patrick!!! Lift that maple leaf flag and do the victory lap!!!:laugh::party2::rock::party::hb:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Actually, Patrick DOES deserve a SB because he didn't splat all over the place like he did at Skate Canada and TEB. I'm still surprised by the technical score, though he did have strong running edges on the jumps he did do well, attempted two quads, completed two triple-triple combos, and had fast spins and footwork.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Hahahaha that's a great summation.

But having said that this is the first program of Chan's that I've liked there's a mesmerizing quality to the way the choreography melts into the music that is beautiful. I hope he skates it cleanly at least once this season.

haha, that's mission impossible.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Patrick, Dai and Jav. So happy for Dai coming from behind and winning the Silver. Dai, Hanyu and Jav were just fabulous tonight.
Looking forward to seeing the protocols.

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
I haven't seen the programs and I'm assuming that Chan won with a flawed program--again. I have to wonder--will public reaction to this eventually lead to a change in the IJS similar to the devaluation of figures in 1972?

Only if the others start stepping it up with the politics. Canada has been ridiculously good these past few years in that area. It is infuriating, but it will be corrected eventually.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I can see Chan taking the title because of the lead in the Short but to win the Free?! Sometimes I feel Cop destroys skating more than it helps it:bang:

FTnoona

Final Flight
O well. I don't care about the results that much because the baby skated his best out there minus the landing of the 3S!! And he can count his combos! I was getting worried when he did his 2nd 3Lutz in combo too because at CoR he did the loop in combo (don't wanna zayak :p) Will we get to see all of them at the exhibition gala?

Becki

Medalist
This cannot be called a sport anymore. A hoax maybe, but not a sport.

I am okay with Patrick winning since he had a 10 point lead over Daisuke....but getting a 173...just an insult to Daisuke's beautiful and almost flawless performance :S Patrick's jumps were not that steady....I just can't digest his win in the LP even if I look at the score sheet.

apple123

On the Ice
Of all the performance tonight, I like Jeremy's best, so lyric, connections to the music, too bad about the jumps. I think the judges lowballed him once again. I find Dai a bit less life, he doesn't seem to get into it until the second half. And I'm very surprised to see the praises about Hanyu, he basically died during the second half again, no energy whatsoever, but the judges still rewarded him. Combined with Hanyu's COR scores, I think the Japanese federation is trying to push him upfront since Oda is doubtful this season and they need three men for the world.