GPF Men FP, Sat. 12/10 at 4:55 pm EST | Page 10 | Golden Skate

GPF Men FP, Sat. 12/10 at 4:55 pm EST

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's sick. I certainly am not in the position to want to have to pay to see skaters get screwed over. Oh well, if I do lose Universal Sports come 1/1/12, I'll simply just be content to seek out my favorite skaters on youtube. I will not pay to see robbery. :scowl:

apple123

On the Ice
Kurt should watch more skating. More than one junior skater in men's, if I recall, used a split jump as an element directly preceding a jump last season. I definitely remember Jason Brown doing that.

Looking at the scores in total, I think Yuzuru was rather undermarked in PCS. I can almost agree with his PE and Int being lower than some of the other more mature men who have more polish and command over expressing music with their bodies. But his SS and TR being second to lowest? That I really don't get. Yuzuru has fantastic basics and lots of intricacies in this program.

He's visibly slow during the second half tonight, if you watched it.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Well, I'm just saying my impression, he looked like he could drop dead any second on the ice near the end, kudo for him to hold onto most of the jumps, but he didn't give a good performace, and the judges put him above Jeremy.

Yes, that's why he has lower PCS in every category than Jeremy. If Jeremy didn't fall two times, I would see him higher than Hanyu. Did you think that he deserved a high TES than Hanyu? I'm not trying to be rude, just curious.

Becki

Medalist

If Patrick skated a clean program, and got that score, then I would give him thumbs up! But he didn't....and it's just so sad that with such a strong field with such strong skates, Patrick still manages to "win" with a flawed performance. Of course, he has the highest base value for his elements, and his PC score - it's always in the high range. He's literally set up for success even if he doesn't execute a clean program. I find it sad sometimes...'cause others can perform so well, yet Patrick still wins. Oh well, this is just purely my opinion - don't mean to offend anyone.

emma

Record Breaker
Haven't look at protocols yet - will tomorrow. I know people are crazed about the scoring...don't want to fuel that fire, but what I can't help but think about is just how exciting it is when Dai and Chan go head to head, and if Jeremy can go clean (or whatever to up the points) and Kazuka too and Javi stays like this or improves and....well, my point is these men are just really amazing!

No doubt Chan has a bit of a scoring confidence advantage going into worlds, but I see this as really a competitive field and we might see some surprises (one of which might see Dai on top OR Chan skating clean or...). And, I really enjoyed this competition. Even with the errors of the top two heading into the LP, neither gave up and gave nice complete programs.
Jeremy's really is a work of art. It is mesmerizing and beautiful. Chan keeps tweaking this and making it come to life in ways that move me even with the errrors - although, I admit, I too tire of the "mars" and the high scores. But, unless we find out he has purchased the judges, I can't blame him....

Becki

Medalist
I was reading some comments on CBCsports online chat, and some comments are just....without words:

Example: People that don't think Patrick should have won do not understand the sport. Everything he does is so much harder and better than enyone else.

I don't think someone should win based on the program's difficulty. Dice K's program looked difficult to me, and I've seen it live. :S I thought Yuzuru, Dice-K and Javier had amazing performances tonight!!

FTnoona

Final Flight
I think Javier and Yuzuru are going to have a nice rivalry going on for a while. If Yuzuru had done his 3S nicely, he may have been ahead of Javier just like at CoR if Javier had done a 2F he would have kicked Yuzu out of the GPF :biggrin:

Becki

Medalist
I think Javier and Yuzuru are going to have a nice rivalry going on for a while. If Yuzuru had done his 3S nicely, he may have been ahead of Javier just like at CoR if Javier had done a 2F he would have kicked Yuzu out of the GPF :biggrin:

Haha, I agree - I think it will be Javier vs Yuzuru vs Patrick at the 2014 Sochi showdown. :)

I started watching figure skating when CoP came into place, and sometimes I am puzzled how skaters can win with a flawed performance :S I am no skating expert, but I do acknowledge a good performance when I see one. Patrick deserved his scores, and to win the World Championships in 2011. Tonight.....I can't say much since he did win based on his scores, but it wasn't the performance I expected to win.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Haven't look at protocols yet - will tomorrow. I know people are crazed about the scoring...don't want to fuel that fire, but what I can't help but think about is just how exciting it is when Dai and Chan go head to head, ....

There's nothing to be excited about when you know they'll overmark Chan. To be honest, I want him to fall over and over but still win. In the end, I wish they could come up lwith a 'Chan' rule to penalize messy and corrupt judging.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
If Patrick skated a clean program, and got that score, then I would give him thumbs up! But he didn't....and it's just so sad that with such a strong field with such strong skates, Patrick still manages to "win" with a flawed performance. Of course, he has the highest base value for his elements, and his PC score - it's always in the high range. He's literally set up for success even if he doesn't execute a clean program. I find it sad sometimes...'cause others can perform so well, yet Patrick still wins. Oh well, this is just purely my opinion - don't mean to offend anyone.

I agree...I thought I'd see a better skate from Chan tonight and I would have been fine with him winning the free without the mistakes, but I don't like to see this kind of performance winning, no matter who does it. The components marks always seem so close together for a given skater; they should be judged separately. I really don't see how Chan had the best interpretation or performance/execution in particular. Yeah, he's got fantastic skating skills and transitions...so why does that automatically mean he gets the highest PCS across the board?

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
Example: People that don't think Patrick should have won do not understand the sport. Everything he does is so much harder and better than enyone else.

LOL. That sounds like some people on this forum at times. Some of us do understand the rules and COP quite well, thank you very much.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This type of judging just cements the further demise of figure skating. The general public doesn't understand it and neither do the majority of skating fans and skating commentators. It's quite sad. :frown:

About the judge that gave Takahashi a 5.50 in transitions, he must have got the Joe Inman memo. At least he came up to 6.75 for choreography. Now if Takahashi can just make better use of the music he might come up to a 7.0.

Speaking of music, Javier's was the best. Anyone who skates to "Ta-rah-rah-BOOM-de-ay" has got my vote -- if only for the reason that it rhymes with "Sweet sugar FU-mi-e!" (my fave of time gone by. :yes: )

Serious Business said:
Really, outside the mistakes, this is the best Patrick has skated to me.

True, true. And except for the mistakes the Detroit Lions beat the New Orleans Saints last week in football. ;)

Edited to add}: I hate this autocorrect feature that changes "Inman" to "Unman" and "have" to "have" without me knowing it. How do I turn this feature off?

See? There it goes again. I meant, changes "fave" to "have."

Last edited: