GPF Men FP, Sat. 12/10 at 4:55 pm EST

mmcdermott

On the Ice
Wasn't that EPIC!!!!!!

1st- Patrick Chan
2nd- Daisuke Takahashi
3rd- Javier Fernandez

What was your favourite moment?
Did the placements pan out the way you hoped/predicted?
Who did you think should have won?

... now I'm going to go back outside and continue painting a portrait of Dai on my rink and reminice on that gorgeous program :love:

Well, I won't spoil your enthusiasm :) That was a great night. One great skate after another. Even with the mistakes, the skaters really gave it their all. Javier is very quickly becoming my favourite skater, and Daisuke's program is so fabulous. Abbott and Hanyu had beautiful skates too. Their mistakes didn't stop me from enjoying them. Patrick was a bit of a let down after all that, but I can't quibble too much with his scores. Disappointing that Daisuke didn't at least win the long, but it wouldn't have been enough to catch up anyway.

This was all great to see after the ladies, who seemed so hesitant and nervous in comparison.

I hope you'll do like me and try to avoid reading all the raging around here. Don't let it spoil your enjoyment :D

Last edited:

skateflower

Match Penalty
That is my point exacatly.He did just as much difficulty if not more as they did yet people are upset he scored about the same as they did te's. And nobody was clean. Yet people feel robbed the pratrick won

Because other skaters were much cleaner than him. He botched two quads and fell! again on a triple. Takahashi's only mistake was a hand-down on the quad.

Thanks for posting, Leonardo. Welcome to the forum. (I hope future competitions turn out happier for you. :cool: )

doubleflutz

On the Ice
Right man won the competition, wrong man won the free skate.

Super happy for the great performances of Yuzuru, Daisuke, and Javier, and really happy Jeremy managed to land the 4T (with positive GOE, mostly!) and improve on his previous performances of that program. Actually, this is the first GPF in a very long time where every single guy tried at least one quad in the long, and 5/6 went for one in the short. Since it comes along with really great skating, performances, and complex, interesting programs, that makes me really pleased. Not thrilled about the judging, but I think the sport is heading in a good direction.

Jo1

Rinkside
I don't know how can someone call this a sport, at least in men's figure skating. It's a complete joke. This robbery is totally ruining the excitement and any good reason we find to watch figure skating. How many times Patrick Chan needs to fall in order to lose to anybody, even to a fantastic skater like Daisuke nowadays? He can fall 1, 2, even 3 times and he ALWAYS wins, no matter how he and the others perform. And this happened SO MANY times. There's no need to make competitions, the results are already decided. They should already give all the golds to Pchiddy until Sochi . He can fall 3 times, mess up all the jumps, it doesn't matter, the judges always find a way. 87+ PCS, +2 and +3 in everthing (unless he falls), and there you go, a 170+ score. Looks like RG and the russians, but it's getting even worse.

Jo1

Rinkside
I absolutely agree with the post by Leonardo. It doesn't matter what Patrick Chan does, he wins anyway. On a happier note I LOVE Jerramy's program !!!! He's such a graceful skater and the music is beautiful. Anyone know what it is? I would love to know.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I absolutely agree with the post by Leonardo. It doesn't matter what Patrick Chan does, he wins anyway. On a happier note I LOVE Jerramy's program !!!! He's such a graceful skater and the music is beautiful. Anyone know what it is? I would love to know.

It's listed on his ISU bio as 'Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 3 by Muse'

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
I don't know how can someone call this a sport, at least in men's figure skating. It's a complete joke. This robbery is totally ruining the excitement and any good reason we find to watch figure skating. How many times Patrick Chan needs to fall in order to lose to anybody, even to a fantastic skater like Daisuke nowadays? He can fall 1, 2, even 3 times and he ALWAYS wins, no matter how he and the others perform. And this happened SO MANY times. There's no need to make competitions, the results are already decided. They should already give all the golds to Pchiddy until Sochi . He can fall 3 times, mess up all the jumps, it doesn't matter, the judges always find a way. 87+ PCS, +2 and +3 in everthing (unless he falls), and there you go, a 170+ score. Looks like RG and the russians, but it's getting even worse.

Okay, seriously. First, when it comes to RG the Russians are that far ahead. The trio of Kanaeva, Kondakova and Dmitrieva are head and shoulders above everyone else, so end of discussion. Chan is a lot like the Russian trio in rhythmic gymnastics, he IS that FAR ahead. I don't know if you have ever attended a live skating event with Chan in it, but there it becomes so much more obvious how much better he is than everyone else. I'm not kidding you, I was surprised how much better he really is the last time I saw him. :) Also consider here that he has a 5 points buffer in base value alone compared to Takahashi, so he can actually afford some mistakes. ;)

FTnoona

Final Flight
That is my point exacatly.He did just as much difficulty if not more as they did yet people are upset he scored about the same as they did te's. And nobody was clean. Yet people feel robbed the pratrick won

I don't think ppl are complaining about the TES. What gave Chan that huges score was the PCS. I'd agree with the TES. What he messed up on the two blotched quads he got back with his two 3-3s and footwork GOEs.

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
I don't think ppl are complaining about the TES. What gave Chan that huges score was the PCS. I'd agree with the TES. What he messed up on the two blotched quads he got back with his two 3-3s and footwork GOEs.

The thing I have a problem with is that people complain about his PCS, but they rarely give any explanation what so ever as to why he is overmarked. :rolleye: And it really doesn't help that the British eurosport guys for example doesn't explain a thing about what the judges are actually looking for or the rules for marking PC. :p

FTnoona

Final Flight
The thing I have a problem with is that people complain about his PCS, but they rarely give any explanation what so ever as to why he is overmarked. :rolleye: And it really doesn't help that the British eurosport guys for example doesn't explain a thing about what the judges are actually looking for or the rules for marking PC. :p

As someone's brought up before, why would one judge give Dai a 6.75 in Choreo while giving Patrick an 8.25. Dai got a 7.75 for interp from one judge and that same judge gives Patrick a 9.25. For me both choreos were wonderful and I think Dai did a good job with expressing his music as with Patrick, but why the huge discrepancy? I can understand that Patrick would have better SS than Dai. Patrick's knees are to die for :love: My complaint and confusion isn't with the skater but with the judging criteria. I know that some may say that I should read the rule books, but that would take a long time :biggrin: hehehe

MrScroogeMcDuck

On the Ice
As someone's brought up before, why would one judge give Dai a 6.75 in Choreo while giving Patrick an 8.25. Dai got a 7.75 for interp from one judge and that same judge gives Patrick a 9.25. For me both choreos were wonderful and I think Dai did a good job with expressing his music as with Patrick, but why the huge discrepancy? I can understand that Patrick would have better SS than Dai. Patrick's knees are to die for :love: My complaint and confusion isn't with the skater but with the judging criteria. I know that some may say that I should read the rule books, but that would take a long time :biggrin: hehehe

Well, one judge was really tough on Dai, yes, but we can't be sure what scores he gave to Patrick. The judge numbers are not the same all the way down the list, only for each skater's marks. (So Judge #1 for one skater could be Judge #3 for another.) That is another aspect of the ridiculous anonymity decision by the ISU that was supposed to help the judging. :laugh:

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
As someone's brought up before, why would one judge give Dai a 6.75 in Choreo while giving Patrick an 8.25. Dai got a 7.75 for interp from one judge and that same judge gives Patrick a 9.25. For me both choreos were wonderful and I think Dai did a good job with expressing his music as with Patrick, but why he huge discrepancy? I can understand that Patrick would have better SS than Dai. Patrick's knees are to die for :love: My complaint and confusion isn't with the skater but with the judging criteria.
Take a closer look at the protocols. It says Judging Panel (in random order). That means you don't know if the judge that gave Dai a 6.75 is the same one that gave Chan an 8.25. ;) Choreo also has a lot to do with patterns, ice coverage, phrasing, etc, and in those bullets Chan to me clearly is better. I actually think there is something to the 5.50 given to Dai for transitions though. His transitions are ridiculously easy for a skater of his caliber, it actually shockes me. That doesn't mean I agree with a 5.50 though. The quality is brilliant and he does a lot of transitions, so a 7.50 would imo be more appropriate. :)

skateflower

Match Penalty

Sounds to me you want to justify the injustice. Tough call.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Take a closer look at the protocols. It says Judging Panel (in random order). That means you don't know if the judge that gave Dai a 6.75 is the same one that gave Chan an 8.25. ;) Choreo also has a lot to do with patterns, ice coverage, phrasing, etc, and in those bullets Chan to me clearly is better. I actually think there is something to the 5.50 given to Dai for transitions though. His transitions are ridiculously easy for a skater of his caliber, it actually shockes me. That doesn't mean I agree with a 5.50 though. The quality is brilliant and he does a lot of transitions, so a 7.50 would imo be more appropriate. :)

Opps then sorry about that I don't read very well sometimes :laugh:. Sadly I'd have to agree with Dai's Transitions being low too. Sorry again for not reading that part about judges not in the same order, but the difference is still there.
On a lighter note, thank you CBC Sports online for having the Men's and Ladies' FS up. I love hearing commentary from different channels :clap:

Last edited:

Bartek

On the Ice
Ok, this night was a great night in terms of pure skating. This night, on another hand, was a bad night for the sport of figure skating. Each guy skated fantastic program, one after another. It was great for us to watch. They gave it all, skated with heart and there were not many mistakes. We saw some wonderful jumps, beautiful choreography, footworks and spins. And then, after this thrilling and exciting show had finished, the final results appeared and ruined everything. I have no words to express what I think of it. How can the judging be so biased and unfair? How is it possible to do such a robbery in front of millions of people watching? How is it possible that no one does anything with this. I am sorry but I simply cannot understand how Patrick Chan got 2 points higher PCS than Daisuke Takahashi. I can see that he got more in SS. But P/E, I? I'm sorry, those scores were a joke. Takahashi skated one of the best FS in his life and it still wasn't enough to overtake full of mistakes Chan's program. I don't want to be misunderstood. I appreciate Chan's skating and have a big respect for him, for all his qualities. But this was not right, this time Takahashi should win FS. Now, what one has to do in order to beat Patrick Chan? Three quads? Four? A quintple jump? That probably would not be enough...

ILoveFigures

On the Ice
Sounds to me you want to justify the injustice. Tough call.
Sounds like you on the other hand want to unjustify the justice. ;)
I for one agree with the professionals who have gone through years of training than some fan sitting at home judging from his/her living room.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Sounds like you on the other hand want to unjustify the justice. ;)
I for one agree with the professionals who have gone through years of training than some fan sitting at home judging from his/her living room.

Well if so why did we have the 2002 Olympic scandal and the introduction to this monstrous CoP?